"I didn't know what to do!" - woman driver fined 500 baht for blocking ambulance

webfact

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

This woman didn't know what to do. I'm wondering how many Thai drivers would react correctly if they were to have a tyre blowout at speed.

now you pushing it, you really expect a Thai driver react to blowout tire, they don't know how to react when the light goes green, yellow to red

3 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

now you pushing it, you really expect a Thai driver react to blowout tire, they don't know how to react when the light goes green, yellow to red

I sometimes think when the lights turn green, Thai drivers have swapped their reflexes with those of snails.

I am not a leadfoot. However, if I'm on the front row at a traffic light, I can look back in my rear view mirror after 200 metres and see what was behind me is still 150 metres behind.

It's not rocket science, Somchai. The faster the lead cars get off, the more cars can get through the intersection before the lights turn red again, capisce?

Just another small person with a lame and pathetic excuse to try to save face. Of course she knew what to do. The most basic common sense imaginable would tell her to make way. She is now busted and can't handle taking responsibility. A 13 year old who looks like a full grown woman. Glad she was busted. More people need this dose of reality. Except the fine should have been 50,000 baht and a suspension of her license. 

9 hours ago, z42 said:

What a pony excuse. How about just move out of the <deleted> way.

The fine is also pathetic and inadequate. Disqualification and at the very least some kind of driver improvement course needed. 

How about retraining for the entire teaching Department of Transportation

8 hours ago, ThaiFelix said:

Its certainly no excuse but I was in a similar situation few months back that made me think again about Thais ignoring ambulances.  In my situation I, and many others, pulled over when an ambulance with lights flashing and siren blaring loomed up in my rear vision mirror.  Five minutes down the road I caught up with the same ambulance parked outside a 7/11 with the crew sitting outside enjoying a cold drink and a smoke????

You should of reported it! If in the west they would never be driving and employed in any medical capacity  

9 hours ago, toenail said:

“She didn’t know what to do”- common instinct tells one to pull over to a different lane. I wonder if this question is on the Thai driver exam???? (I doubt it)

It is on the exam and is covered in the class as well.

8 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

I think the problem with the so-called driving test here is it doesn't filter out the drivers who are too nervous and who are likely to start panicking under any form of pressure. On their day these drivers can be just as much of a danger as the arrogant, reckless ones. There needs to be an actual part of the driving test that takes place on the public roads in the thick of the mayhem. Then and only then, if the applicant passes should a license be issued.  

wow a superhero idea, better one tell them if not move over lose car- motorcycle and cop a 5.000bt fine bet my idea works better than yours

My opinion I’m sure a lot of you would be ..10,000 baht fine and you don’t get car back till it’s paid in full..

also put the laws on Thai TV during the Thai soaps about life changing things...CPR and moving over for ambulance..

5 minutes ago, sean420 said:

My opinion I’m sure a lot of you would be ..10,000 baht fine and you don’t get car back till it’s paid in full..

also put the laws on Thai TV during the Thai soaps about life changing things...CPR and moving over for ambulance..

A few key educational traffic points on TV at prime time 'could' make a huge difference. 

- Not blocking ambulances. 

- Helmets / Seatbelts

- Not blocking Box junctions

- Dangers of Jumping red lights

- Administering basic first aid and CPR

Add spin that doing the wrong thing is 'not fashionable'... identify that only stupid people brake the laws etc.... it's juvenile, but it could may make a big difference.... Get a few popular Actors to get involved. 

46 minutes ago, johnarth said:
9 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

I think the problem with the so-called driving test here is it doesn't filter out the drivers who are too nervous and who are likely to start panicking under any form of pressure. On their day these drivers can be just as much of a danger as the arrogant, reckless ones. There needs to be an actual part of the driving test that takes place on the public roads in the thick of the mayhem. Then and only then, if the applicant passes should a license be issued.  

wow a superhero idea, better one tell them if not move over lose car- motorcycle and cop a 5.000bt fine bet my idea works better than yours

I bet both ideas would have much more success in-combination than the sum of their parts.. 

.... i.e. proper training and licensing followed by proper law enforcement with prohibitive fines.... 

.... Now there's an idea... Wonder if this has taken on anywhere else? !!!!!

9 hours ago, kotsak said:

I am waiting for the time to see this once in Thailand. Then my life is complete.. 

(beware of loud sound)

WoW!!!! That took me back......32 years driving a fire engine.

But yes same same as in UK...Every one moves out of the way

We also had a loud speaker as well to give voice commands to move out of the way.

Maybe this is what emergency vehicles should have here in Thailand.

When reading the headline I thought she was in a tough situation like in a very busy intersection with nowhere to move to give way to the ambulance.

But no, it was an empty highway with at least one more totally empty lane to her left. No excuses.

11 hours ago, ThaiFelix said:

Its certainly no excuse but I was in a similar situation few months back that made me think again about Thais ignoring ambulances.  In my situation I, and many others, pulled over when an ambulance with lights flashing and siren blaring loomed up in my rear vision mirror.  Five minutes down the road I caught up with the same ambulance parked outside a 7/11 with the crew sitting outside enjoying a cold drink and a smoke????

It does happen that emergency response vehicles get "stood down" before they reach their destination. When it happened to me I would nip into a quiet side street and wait for a few minutes for the traffic to get back to normal - especially if my next call was to collect the Chinese take-away.

6 hours ago, Paul Henry said:

What happened to the Thai judicial system. I thought police are there to enforce the law not be judge and executioner. The cop fined her 500bht,or did he give an infringement notice for 500bht.? Big difference!

Good point - typically the courts assign the punishment not the police however it appears not so in Thailand.

Thai people are generally polite,  compared to some other nationalities. But when it comes to driving,  they are dam right selfish,  never give way,  crazy driving and Rarely say thanks or acknowledge you if you let them go first at a junction etc 

500 Baht for a Thai for blocking the ambulante but 40,000 Baht for a Farang woman who smoked an E-cigarette in public. Wow ...... they really understand how to separate important from unimportant things. 

In all fairness, publish name, picture and details of the bird.

Ensure license is withdrawn for at least five years - and the car dealership (see the back of her vehicle?) might be interested to know what kind of ignorant idiots are on their public fore front. In addition give her the opportunity to work, say, 20 hours community work in the morgue of where they bring traffic accidents which did not require a blaring ambulance anymore! 

I wonder how high the fines would be in Europe for such behaviour - but maybe it never happens due to mandatory driving lessons, passing a proper driving test and common sense and basic understanding of humanity! 

Not defending the cow at all, but couldn't the ambulance driver also overtake her, I know it is her responsibility to move as I have done dozens of times, but come on, had I been the ambulance driver, not only would I have recorded her, I would have also passed her, gotten in front of her then applied the brakes so hard that when she applied hers, her nickers would have come off, that or she would have peed herself ????

20 hours ago, Mavideol said:

one has to wonder what they teach them at the driving school (if they do go to one555)

Yesterday, on my way home I met a "driving school" car.  I gently let her turn first and so I ran behind her.  Over the course of 200m, she ran 4 times over an uninterrupted white line both at the left and right side; plus moved to the right to pass a parked vehicle without using indicators...  Sums it up, I guess...

21 hours ago, webfact said:

A Bangkok woman said she was all flustered and just didn't know what to do when an ambulance was blaring its horn trying to get past her. 

Take her driving licence away and insist she go to apply for a new one by having to resit the exam.

In the day sat at the test facility she might refresh her memory of what she should have done!

10 hours ago, Derek B said:

I wonder if the police checked her phone record.

All I know from years here and looking is that Thai in automobiles are constantly on the phone while driving. It is like a sickness with them. More times than not and I really notice my surroundings, you will see a Thai get into their vehicle, just start to drive and for some reason have to look at their phone. I just don't get it. 

Archived