"I didn't know what to do!" - woman driver fined 500 baht for blocking ambulance

webfact

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, holy cow cm said:

All I know from years here and looking is that Thai in automobiles are constantly on the phone while driving. It is like a sickness with them. More times than not and I really notice my surroundings, you will see a Thai get into their vehicle, just start to drive and for some reason have to look at their phone. I just don't get it. 

I do. It's an obsession, nothing more.

17 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I sometimes think when the lights turn green, Thai drivers have swapped their reflexes with those of snails.

I am not a leadfoot. However, if I'm on the front row at a traffic light, I can look back in my rear view mirror after 200 metres and see what was behind me is still 150 metres behind.

It's not rocket science, Somchai. The faster the lead cars get off, the more cars can get through the intersection before the lights turn red again, capisce?

got your point, am on the same boat, only problem is that you expect the Thais to react as fast as we do, this morning 5 cars at the red light, it went green, nobody moved, when it went to yellow and red the 5 of them started to move.... I do think that we expect to much out of them

• 1 month later...
On 3/19/2019 at 5:59 PM, StevieAus said:

If you want to see a farce in action visit one of the DLT offices and observe the “driving test.”

Many many years ago before we moved here and when visiting on holiday my wife decided to take her driving test which she passed.

I observed the “ test” conducted within the grounds of the DLT.

When we returned to Australia I enrolled her with a driving school, as a learner she had to undertake about 150 hours of driving on the road including night time driving which had to be logged in detail in a book.

The driving test on the open road lasted about 45 mins which she passed.

Over the next two years she had to take a further two computerized tests before she was given a full unrestricted license.

Thats what I call learning to drive

Well, you ALSO here have to take an "computerized tests", AND if you fail, NO driving license.
The practical test is on the other hand far behind expectations, as we are used to.

Archived