How to Buy Used Motorbike?

ShortTimed

Hi All,

I hope to start a teaching job here soon and want to buy a new or used Honda Click i125. Hopefully White with Mag wheels.

I priced a new 2018 at 47,500THB at local Honda but money is tight and I would rather buy used.

I have been watching Craigslist and started watching here at the recommendation of some expats I met.

Any other suggestions greatly appreciated. 

If you have really no clue about motorbikes yourself and also no friend who can help you, then it's probably best to buy new

But in general buying a used motorbike is no big deal and you can save quite a bit money with it. There are a few parts about a bike which are expensive (frame, engine, dashboard, suspension, led headlight unit, maybe i forgot something), if these parts are in proper condition there is not much to worry, everything else that may fail costs just a few hundred baht to fix. Other than that you have to make sure that the book is in order so that you will be able to transfer the bike in your name.

If you pay with credit card, you can be quite sure that the dealer will add 3-5% fees on top of the price for credit card fees.

Small bikes usually just have compulsary insurance, this one: http://www.rvp.co.th/index_en.php

This insurance only covers medical costs to a small amount.

If you want better insurance cover you need to purchase one by yourself.

Yes, much experience with motos 250-cc and up.

Yes Honda wanted 3% extra for credit card payment.

I will read more on Green Book.

Where is the best place(s) to shop for used Honda Click online?

Someone said there are many shops that sell used but I want to buy from a private party because I fear maybe the used dealer has swapped engine or something. I do not want a motorbike that was rented to many farang in tourist town for 1-2 year and has 35,000-km. Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

For looking for online take a look at Kaidee Mocy, here's a link for Clicks in Chiang Mai: https://www.kaidee.com/c12a1826p1-motorcycle-motorcycle-click/chiangmai/ be warned that some ads in Kadee are not private vendors but proper shops.

Regarding the Green book, you need it to transfer bike to your name. Just reject any bike without green book in the name of the seller.

46 minutes ago, ShortTimed said:

Yes, much experience with motos 250-cc and up.

Yes Honda wanted 3% extra for credit card payment.

I will read more on Green Book.

Where is the best place(s) to shop for used Honda Click online?

Someone said there are many shops that sell used but I want to buy from a private party because I fear maybe the used dealer has swapped engine or something. I do not want a motorbike that was rented to many farang in tourist town for 1-2 year and has 35,000-km. Haha.

Try Bahtsold, lots of bikes for sale

41 minutes ago, ShortTimed said:

Correction:

54,700 THB for new 2018 Honda Click i125.

Plus 3% for credit card.

Do all Honda dealer ask the same price? Do they negotiate?

Thankyou

I brought a new Honda wave 125cc with mag wheels for 52 000 baht, the shop did all the insurance and tax, you can get a  new 110 cc Honda wave for about 39 000 baht, add about 1500 baht for mag wheels which would suit you just as well.

As for paying by credit card, depends where you live in my rural area, shops will not take credit cards, just cash, in a big town /city, should not be a problem ,I would buy locally, not my idea of fun driving 40 km to the shop just to change the oil .

Second-hand bikes tend to hold they price when I was looking one shop had a 125 Wave 36k on the clock and he still wanted 35 000 baht for it, maintenance wise I would buy a Wave my local shop are always changing drive belts on these Clicks, and the whole bike  has to come apart to do any major work on the engine, ie change piston and rings, something to think about when buying second hand .  

if money is tight but you want a new bike why don't you buy one with monthly payments?
If you have a proper job then it shouldn't be a problem to get this done.

No proper job over here...just one back home that has rotations that allows me to frequently visit here.

I would prefer new Honda but this whole Thailand Adventure is pretty new and still falling into place. So a low km used bike would be easier to get out from under if I can’t put something together for longer term here.

Sorry if thats confusing.

I am just another new guy here trying to figure things out...lol

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, aremesal said:

For looking for online take a look at Kaidee Mocy, here's a link for Clicks in Chiang Mai: https://www.kaidee.com/c12a1826p1-motorcycle-motorcycle-click/chiangmai/ be warned that some ads in Kadee are not private vendors but proper shops.

Regarding the Green book, you need it to transfer bike to your name. Just reject any bike without green book in the name of the seller.

Good advice, and whatever you do, do not be tempted to buy a bike that comes with only an "Invoice" There will be hundreds who tell you they have ridden for years only on an invoice - Their days are coming to an end and you will be able to pick these bikes up 10 a penny! They are useless and are illegal on the roads, despite what hundreds will tell you. If you get caught you can get whopping fines and have the bike confiscated. NO GREEN BOOK - NO SALE! and stick to it! Do your transfer documents at the Vehicle licensing aND DON'T HAND OVER ANY MONEY UNTIL YOU ARE TOLD THE BIKE CAN BE LEGALLY TRANSFERRED.

I brought a new Honda wave 125cc with mag wheels for 52 000 baht, the shop did all the insurance and tax, you can get a  new 110 cc Honda wave for about 39 000 baht, add about 1500 baht for mag wheels which would suit you just as well.
As for paying by credit card, depends where you live in my rural area, shops will not take credit cards, just cash, in a big town /city, should not be a problem ,I would buy locally, not my idea of fun driving 40 km to the shop just to change the oil .
Second-hand bikes tend to hold they price when I was looking one shop had a 125 Wave 36k on the clock and he still wanted 35 000 baht for it, maintenance wise I would buy a Wave my local shop are always changing drive belts on these Clicks, and the whole bike  has to come apart to do any major work on the engine, ie change piston and rings, something to think about when buying second hand .  

Interesting.

What future perks are offered if buying new from a Honda shop? You mention oil changes?

Is there any warranty? The saleslady at Honda didn’t understand that question when I asked?

As for a 110, I am what these Thai ladies giggle and call Pupui. I think a 110 is going to have its work cut out ;-)

The warning about frequent drive belts on a Click is a surprise. I have always had good luck with Honda bikes, cars, outboards, generators being low maintenance. I thought the only bad thing Honda ever made was the 1.5 liter DI turbo.

10 minutes ago, ShortTimed said:

The warning about frequent drive belts on a Click is a surprise. 

A surprise for those of us who have ridden here for years.

Expect to get at least 30,000 km on a drive belt. My PCX has over 20 on it and has needed nothing. Same everything except a front tire - altho rear will need changing before the Wet sets in.

OK.
Did some back searching on the Wave but they were old threads.
So a 2018 Honda Wave 110 & 125 has Fuel Injection and a CVT just like a Click?

What is the difference between Click & Wave? I am unclear.

5 minutes ago, ShortTimed said:

OK.

Wave is semi auto and the Click is full auto..

21 minutes ago, ShortTimed said:

OK.

Get a s/h wave, easy to sell on when you go for something else later if ever, they last forever and cheap as chip to fix.

2 hours ago, ShortTimed said:

No proper job over here...just one back home that has rotations that allows me to frequently visit here.

I would prefer new Honda but this whole Thailand Adventure is pretty new and still falling into place. So a low km used bike would be easier to get out from under if I can’t put something together for longer term here.

Sorry if thats confusing.

I am just another new guy here trying to figure things out...lol

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You write in your original post: "I hope to start a teaching job here soon"

Maybe wait until you get that job and a work permit. That will make a lot of things here easier.

A bit further on from Reemchok Plaza in Chiang Mai, there is a big secondhand scooter market. Past the McDonalds from memory.

Don't restrict yourself to the Honda brand. I bought a secondhand Yamaha TTX with 9000 km on the odometer for 23,000 baht 5 years ago. It has never missed a beat.

You write in your original post: "I hope to start a teaching job here soon"
Maybe wait until you get that job and a work permit. That will make a lot of things here easier.

That is some very good wisdom.

Someone joked with me that I am in the “honeymoon” stage of visiting Thailand and not to “quit my real job back home for a local job here that barely covers expenses not even factoring in romantic.” ...Lol

14 minutes ago, ShortTimed said:

That is some very good wisdom.

Someone joked with me that I am in the “honeymoon” stage of visiting Thailand and not to “quit my real job back home for a local job here that barely covers expenses not even factoring in romantic.” ...Lol

Maybe have a look at the farang pub section.

You will find about a million entries like: I met this girl and I spend all my money. Does she love me?

You should be able to pick up some hints from those threads.

Enjoy Thailand and remember for most people working outside of Thailand and visiting from time to time and renting for short times is a lot better idea than living here. ???? 

So most of you guys must ride motorbikes to be in this forum?

I just miss zipping around on two wheels and the Skytrain & Taxi are great but all these guys on bikes are just blasting past and having fun.

Thanks again for all the posts. Plenty for me to think on now.

1 hour ago, ShortTimed said:

I just miss zipping around on two wheels and the Skytrain & Taxi are great but all these guys on bikes are just blasting past and having fun.

Think about this please. About 80% of road fatalities and injuries on Thai roads are on two wheels, not four. So whatever you do, drive a scooter in Thailand defensively. Start with the assumption everyone else on the road is trying to kill you. And for f###s sake, wear a good helmet.

1 hour ago, ShortTimed said:

It can be fun but mostly, at least for me, it's practical.

1. It is just so much faster to get from A to B with a motorcycle.

2. The only alternative are motorcycle taxis. Many know how to drive but at the end of the day it is always a risk on two wheels. And I prefer that I am responsible for how I drive instead of possibly blaming someone else later on.

3. I do a lot of trips with the bike which I would never do without one. If I feel like eating some special food which is a few kilometers away, I ride there, no problem. It's almost free with my own bike. I wouldn't pay a (motorcycle) taxi just to eat noodle soup 2km away from home. And I do shopping trips to the local markets. That would also be almost pointless if I would have to pay taxi prices to go there.

Obviously a fun bike is better than a boring bike. But the most important part is to have a bike at all - almost any bike is better than no bike.

7 hours ago, ShortTimed said:

Interesting.

What future perks are offered if buying new from a Honda shop? You mention oil changes?

Is there any  The saleslady at Honda didn’t understand that question when I asked?

As for a 110, I am what these Thai ladies giggle and call Pupui. I think a 110 is going to have its work cut out ????

The warning about frequent drive belts on a Click is a surprise. I have always had good luck with Honda bikes, cars, outboards, generators being low maintenance. I thought the only bad thing Honda ever made was the 1.5 liter DI turbo.

I said oil changes, depends if you do them your self or get the shop to do an oil change, all shop will do the servicing for you , as for perks not that I have found ,I brought another new  Wave from the same shop, no discount or perks, just a crap crash helmet and a jacket, as for a warranty, I think it is 6 months ?or 6000 km ? cannot remember, with the mileage I use to do in 3  months warranty had run out.

A 110 cc Wave it has more pull than you think, note how many sidecars all loaded up are being pulled by a 110 cc Wave. A Thai vet friend of mine has just brought one, he has a lot of work equipment, and does a fair mileage, no problems 

I said about drive belts on Click's, the ones I see are all in Thai hands, not a genteel one at all, with a farang looking after one it should last a longer.

Warranty in Thai is Br-Gun ประก์น. ( same word as insurance) .  

Archived