How to Buy Used Motorbike?

ShortTimed

5 hours ago, ShortTimed said:

So most of you guys must ride motorbikes to be in this forum?

I just miss zipping around on two wheels and the Skytrain & Taxi are great but all these guys on bikes are just blasting past and having fun.

Thanks again for all the posts. Plenty for me to think on now.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

its not so much fun as it is a lingering worry

about being fined or getting cut off with a resultant crash and pain, plus the usual traffic jam, although bikes do handle traffic jam better then cars.

its definitely a form of freedom cause

i'm more motivated to go to anywhere with a bike then i am going with a taxi.

drive slowly and expect getting cut off

and red light jumpers, no signal or position

prior to turn etc etc, it is never safe here

You could have a look on Facebook Marketplace, there's a huge number of used motorcycles available. I've got a Yamaha Mio there last year. But better to have someone speaking Thai to make contact, since >90% are Thai speaking sellers only.

I said oil changes, depends if you do them your self or get the shop to do an oil change, all shop will do the servicing for you , as for perks not that I have found ,I brought another new  Wave from the same shop, no discount or perks, just a crap crash helmet and a jacket, as for a warranty, I think it is 6 months ?or 6000 km ? cannot remember, with the mileage I use to do in 3  months warranty had run out.
A 110 cc Wave it has more pull than you think, note how many sidecars all loaded up are being pulled by a 110 cc Wave. A Thai vet friend of mine has just brought one, he has a lot of work equipment, and does a fair mileage, no problems 
I said about drive belts on Click's, the ones I see are all in Thai hands, not a genteel one at all, with a farang looking after one it should last a longer.
Warranty in Thai is Br-Gun ประก์น. ( same word as insurance) .  

Ah now I understand better. Yes, I think a 110 might be enough then since I don’t have a family to be taking aboard with me.

And now I understand better the CVT belt on the Click.

So with the Wave and semi-auto transmission, there is a foot shifter and no need for hand clutch. Is the recommended practice to only remove throttle pressure each time to shjft with foot?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, ShortTimed said:

Ah now I understand better. Yes, I think a 110 might be enough then since I don’t have a family to be taking aboard with me.

And now I understand better the CVT belt on the Click.

So with the Wave and semi-auto transmission, there is a foot shifter and no need for hand clutch. Is the recommended practice to only remove throttle pressure each time to shjft with foot?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

i used to lighten throttle while shifting,

but it may be a habit, i cant recall it ever being an issue.

scooters are a bit odd that its not one gear down the rest up

like every other bike, its only down,

i had massive issues on the first ever scooter trip

7 hours ago, ShortTimed said:

Wave 110i: 4 price models [guesstamating]

1. About B33K for drum brake and no e-start,

2. B3K more gets front disk break.

3. 3000 more e-start too...

4. maybe B44K for top mag-wheel [tubeless-tire = much less air leakage ] model.

[papa pick]

The 110 is world's top selling vehicle.

>>> Wave 125i.  Maybe B54K

Mag-wheel version is more.

Nice under-seat storage, more umph, &

even easier to sell, down the road....

Exactly; they are centrifugal clutch/auto-clutch.

With a used bike you need to check that the Chassis and Engine numbers match those printed in the green book

also determine that the  sellers name is actually in the green book,

( unless its being sold by a proxy seller or dealer then the name will be on the power of attorney form along with ID of original owner and that should agree with green book)

if its still on finance the company normally keeps the original green book until its fully paid...so be extra wary of good deals where they say they have only a copy of the green book...except only original green book. ( its got a green cover)

You should also take it for a short test drive  to make sure the engine works as it should delivering good power ,no strange noises/knocking, no overheating, no smoke, no oil leaks   stops and handles well, all the lights and instruments work, if chain driven check to see if the sprockets are "hooked" check the petrol tank for rust actually inside the tank    check the KM's on the speedo if its done 80,000 +++ KM and there is no service history  its going to need "some work" soon-ish   use any faults found to try and bargain down the price a bit...if  tons of blue or white smoke from the exhaust...walk away unless its stupidly cheap (or a 2 stroke ???? ) and you want a

"project to keep you busy".

11 hours ago, papa al said:

Wave 110i: 4 price models [guesstamating]

1. About B33K for drum brake and no e-start,

2. B3K more gets front disk break.

3. 3000 more e-start too...

4. maybe B44K for top mag-wheel [tubeless-tire = much less air leakage ] model.

[papa pick]

The 110 is world's top selling vehicle.

>>> Wave 125i.  Maybe B54K

Mag-wheel version is more.

Nice under-seat storage, more umph, &

even easier to sell, down the road....

Exactly; they are centrifugal clutch/auto-clutch.

They are no front drum brakes on a Wave now,  all are disc, brakes fitted as standard, very early models had them, all rear brakes are drum, for me, the rear drum brake is not that good, needs to be well adjusted.

About 41 k with electric start and mag wheels.

An electric foot, electric start is 1500 baht extra.

No tubeless tyers on Waves. 

Mag wheels are 1500 baht more.

As for resale value,depends , your average Thai will put down  a 2-3 000 baht  deposit on a new bike  and pay the rest over 4 years , paying 30% interest , making a 52k 125 Wave about 70k pay back ,so when he sells that bike he wants some of that money back, so for his 3-4year Wave he will want 35-40k .

If it was paid by cash you will get it for a lower price, I sold a 4 year old  125 cc Wave for 20 k,it did have 65 k on the clock ,but it was basically in good nick, cam chain rattled a bit, could have been the slipper tensioner, never did use any oil,even had a sidecar on it for a year .

The HP buying example was wife's granddaughter's boyfriend's bike. 

30% interest?

Maybe I have just found a new career path over here.

Motorbike financing...

I have sure learned alot about this topic thanks to all of you.

I just saw a CRF250 sold on the classifieds here for quite cheap.

Now that is a proper bike.

I wish I had seen it a week earlier and I would be riding it...Lol

Just not splitting lanes nearly so easily as these Thais do on their Waves and Clicks!

On 3/20/2019 at 9:12 PM, kickstart said:

They are no front drum brakes on a Wave now,  all are disc, brakes fitted as standard, very early models had them, all rear brakes are drum, for me, the rear drum brake is not that good, needs to be well adjusted.

About 41 k with electric start and mag wheels.

An electric foot, electric start is 1500 baht extra.

No tubeless tyers on Waves. 

Mag wheels are 1500 baht more.

All New Honda Wave 110i, 2019, available in 9 colors and 4 models

• All New Honda Wave 110i, 2019 year, front-rear drum brake drum, wire spokes wheel
  • All New Honda Wave 110i Year 2019 Footstep, front-rear disc brakes, wire spokes wheels
  • All New Honda Wave 110i, year 2019, starting hands and feet Front-rear disc brakes, wire spokes
  • All New Honda Wave 110i, year 2019, starting hands and feet Alloy front-rear disc brakes

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The mag wheels accommodate tubeless tires.

I have been reading DIY for buying a used motorbike.

Atleast one article says it is more time consuming if the motorbike is currently green booked in a different province from where the new buyer has residence.

Does this sound right?

It looks like quite a hassle to buy a used motorbike than a new one from Honda where they do all the paperwork. I am new here so there is advantage to me for a simplified green book process including license plate.

Does this sound correct?

Buying new costs more but there is no risk the bike has been abused, or has registration issues, or requires traveling great distance to see, or problems with communicating with Thai owner, plus the cost of green book title/registration is included in purchase price but is extra cost in used purchase.

Are these assumptions correct?

I think the price of a used bike would need to be lower than many of these I see advertised due to the added expenses and hassles listed above...atleast for a new farang like me.

if you buy 2nd hand at bike shop,

its guaranteed green book and guaranteed cheaper,

and fore sure you dont risk getting ripped off like if you bike from private user, and i recommend it,

you are going to have to be here and look at prices for a very long time before you can adequately judge value

Thanks Brokenbone,

I read that a Thai person typically gets a negotiated lower price on a new Honda at the dealer and that a farang can expect no such discount...its full price.

Does this sound right?

The MSRP is the price I am quoted and thats what I should expect to pay?

1 hour ago, ShortTimed said:

Thanks Brokenbone,

I read that a Thai person typically gets a negotiated lower price on a new Honda at the dealer and that a farang can expect no such discount...its full price.

Does this sound right?

they always discount around 1000 and give a new battery

as far as i can remember,

just ask for a discount when you decided.

another plus is they do the tax/insurance

thing for a fee for you so you wont have to figure out where dlt is,

remember to ask which month it is due

Thanks Brokenbone,

Does this sound right?

Thai or foreign you won't get much if any discount...maybe a "free helmet and jacket" or tank of fuel. Number plate and registration is normally extra...but sometimes can be gotten for free...but no helmet in that case.

"Does this sound right?

The MSRP is the price I am quoted and thats what I should expect to pay?"

No.  

Yes.

Sorry but I have no idea what you are posting.

There were three questions asked and your response lacks any detail to be of help.

Archived