Any promos for Heart stress test etc in BKK area ?

oldcarguy

Hi ,

I would like to get a heart stress test and related tests ,

What should I be looking for ?

EKG and treadmill I know about but any ultrasound or X-rays ?

I once had an ultrasound on the vein / artery in my neck at a local Senior health day in the USA , they said it was to check for blockage...

Was that a real test done worldwide ?

Anyway what is a reasonable priced hospital to go to ?

Or any promotional prices ?

Not trying for the cheapest government hospital , but also do not need a fancy "tourist" hospital.

Thanks for your recommendations.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Stress tests (the treadmill attached to an EKG) are pretty inexpensive so not usual to have a "special" on them. The cost less when done as part of (or added to) a check up package. Where in Thailand are you?

Other than stress tests the other non-invasive test possible is a calcium CT. This does entail radiation exposure so not recommended for mass screening but if you have known risk factors (family history, elevated lipids or hypertension etc) may be worth doing. I have no idea where in Thailand you are, but Phyathai Sri Racha hospital currently has a promotion on this with price only 1,900 baht. If that location is convenient for you contact

Gavin Waddell
International Marketing Manager
Phyathai Sriracha Hospital
Tel: 087-1000990
E [email protected]

What you had done on your neck was a doppler ultrasound of the carotid artery. Not usually done here for mass screening. Neurologists can do it if there is an indication.

ou?

Echo test (ultrasound) of heart seems to provide a good deal of information on heart condition, including blood flow. without danger or being invasive.  Paid a little over 3k at private hospital last year as part of pre-op testing.

The Calcium CT scan Sheryl refers to is the "gold standard" to evaluate whether you have atherosclerosis (and that price for Phyathai is very competitive). The resulting score will tell you how much calcified plaque you have in your heart arteries (if any). Score zero, and the likelihood of you having a cardiac event over the next 10 years is very low. If the result does show plaque, then at least you have a benchmark for the future.

cac.jpg

cac1.jpg

10 hours ago, FracturedRabbit said:

The Calcium CT scan Sheryl refers to is the "gold standard" to evaluate whether you have atherosclerosis (and that price for Phyathai is very competitive). The resulting score will tell you how much calcified plaque you have in your heart arteries (if any). Score zero, and the likelihood of you having a cardiac event over the next 10 years is very low. If the result does show plaque, then at least you have a benchmark for the future.

cac.jpg

cac1.jpg

Thanks for that info, I can only agree that the CCT scan seems to be the most advanced CAV test going at the moment, I wasn't aware that it was available in Thailand. Not an expensive test, I may try to get an appointment next time I am in Sriracha.

19 minutes ago, oldcarguy said:

Does Vejthani have the Calcium CT scan ,
It does not seem so in the link unless they call it something else..
Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I use Vejthani but do not know (but suspect they do) - remember CT scan involves radiation so unless indicated probably not the best choice for routine screening.  

They probably do but will be costly and does entail radiation.  If the stress test is inconclusive or positive, but you are asymptomatic, then would make sense (if you were symptomatic and had positive stress test most doctors would recommend going straight to angio).

Suggest you get the stress test first then discuss with the cardiologoist who does it whether a calcium scan makes sense.

I had the stress test, and failed!

Doctor gave me the choice of an angiogram or a CT scan with contrast. The former is more expensive, more invasive and comes with its own set of risks, so I went with the CT scan with contract; where they inject contrast solution into your veins just before the scan. This enabled the doctor to identify the problem (clogged arteries) and the scan also produced a calcium score. I have subsequently had a CT scan without contrast to check on disease progression. The scan without contrast will give you your calcium score, (i.e. the amount of calcified plaque) but will not provide a detailed view of the arteries.

The scan with contrast cost my 18k baht. The scan without contrast cost me 3k baht.

2 minutes ago, FracturedRabbit said:

Doctor gave me the choice of an angiogram or a CT scan with contrast. The former is more expensive, more invasive and comes with its own set of risks, so I went with the CT scan with contract; where they inject contrast solution into your veins just before the scan.

Major expense of angiogram is expanding blockage/stents - if that not required it is not the multi hundred k fees.  No work can be done with CT and it has its own risks from both radiation and the contrast material.  And every CT I have had the contrast material was injected during the last phase of scans - but perhaps that due mine looking for cancer.

Have also failed stress test with no blockage enough to require treatment.  Some of us are just not power walkers in our older years I guess (actually never was).

I can't recall the exact quote, for an angio around 50k I think. The scan revealed that I had a 50% blockage in one artery, 37% in another, and the other two were clear. Not bad enough to need a balloon or stents; but enough to make me feel a little faint so he put me on beta blockers to fix that.
Eighteen months on and I don't need the beta blockers any more, lifestyle changes appear to have reduced the blockage. Calcium has increased 6%, but I put that down to pre-existing soft plaque being calcified. If you can keep the increase below 15%, the chance of a subsequent cardiac event is greatly reduced.

They injected the contrast and then started the scan, needs time to work its way round to the heart I suppose.

16 hours ago, FracturedRabbit said:

I can't recall the exact quote, for an angio around 50k I think. The scan revealed that I had a 50% blockage in one artery, 37% in another, and the other two were clear. Not bad enough to need a balloon or stents; but enough to make me feel a little faint so he put me on beta blockers to fix that.
Eighteen months on and I don't need the beta blockers any more, lifestyle changes appear to have reduced the blockage. Calcium has increased 6%, but I put that down to pre-existing soft plaque being calcified. If you can keep the increase below 15%, the chance of a subsequent cardiac event is greatly reduced.

They injected the contrast and then started the scan, needs time to work its way round to the heart I suppose.

I recently got tested and the ekg/ecg showed up "left ventricle hypertrophy" and the liver enzyme "alt" was about double the recommended range and the blood pressure was high as well.... 

The cardiologist wants a 2d echo to check if the heart is fukkked 

Haven't went to see the liver dr yet because I do drink fairly heavy and eat etc and  probably lifestyle changes are responsible for that 

These test packages are worth doing tho....

I haven't had a drink since I saw the test results so it was enough to scare me a bit, although I had 2 big macs for lunch today 

I had the heart exercise stress test done about a month ago at Mission Hospital/Bangkok Adventist. My GP wanted me to do an ultrasound, but the cardiologist he referred me to wanted me to do the stress test, which I passed with flying colors.

The price for the test itself was 4200b there, plus an added 1000b total for 2 doctor consults (1 with my GP and 1 with the cardiologist)

I was a bit apprehensive about the test, and I'd never done one before. But as it turned out, it wasn't much different than a visit to the gym and spending 10 mins on the treadmill, except for the EKG leads they plastered all over me!  :smile:

BTW, I would have liked to have come away from the visit with a better sense of what the indications / advantages are of getting a chest ultrasound vs. doing the heart stress test. But this was one of those rare occasions when I didn't press them to the max....

Archived