TAT expects 2.3 million tourists for this year’s Songkran

webfact

By The Thaiger

Songkran-bkk-1024x825.jpeg

The Tourism Authority of Thailand is expecting more than 2.3 million local and foreign tourists will join the various Songkran celebrations this year. They say that should generate 20 billion baht+ in revenue for tourism and tourism-related services.

TAT’s Governor Yuthasak Supasorn says 300,000 international arrivals are expected to celebrate the five day festival starting April 12, along with two million locals who will travel to celebrate Songkran this year. Songkran falling on a weekend this year will also bolster local tourism numbers.

The number of Songkran-specific visitors is up this year, partly because of the growing popularity of the festival internationally and the government extending the holiday to five days this year, now starting on April 12 (although ‘Songkran, the Thai New Year, is actually on April 13)

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/bangkok/tat-expects-2-3-million-tourists-for-this-years-songkran

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2019-03-19

59 minutes ago, webfact said:

The number of Songkran-specific visitors is up this year,

Now there's a bit of pre emptive spin, the holiday is over two weeks away and already the numbers are in.....great clairvoyance!

With today’s emphasis on taking care of the environment and how clean water is becoming more scarce I find this 3-day Songkron celebration of wasting water disrespectful to following the teachings of Buddha or how we want our future generation to respect and take care of mother-earth. Ok... limit to one day of throwing water around like idiots. ( Historically it started as a “sprinkle”  of water to represent a new beginning in the new year. 

53 minutes ago, dcnx said:

Due to the smog, I would love it if no one came and it crippled the tourism industry to the point of ruin. The Thais don’t deserve the tourists they get.

With that kind of hate for folks that did nothing to you, it astounds me that you seek out any connection with Thailand at all. Truly an example of how the internet magnifies petty grievances into hate. or maybe its broken hearts.

Maybe the Thai people dont deserve to live. Be bold, hell, evidently you would love to see their economy Venezuela crash and mass starvation, why not just play Einsatzgruppen and find some ravines?????‍♂️????

2 minutes ago, madmitch said:

What they don't tell us how many locals (including expats) bugger off out of the country during Songkran!

Im gone a few days before. Too hot. 

They don't have estimates how many flee the country?

17 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'm leaving for songkran, so they can -1 from their count.

So at least one :biggrin:

EDIT: two.

Time for a poll?

Yes, I know I probably sound like an old curmudgeon, but why? Why would they come a-flocking?

Songkran is no longer of cultural significance, it's degenerated into an excuse for an alienated youth to behave obnoxiously for a few days without consequence (with or without trollops baring their tits to the sound of horrendously loud music in the back of pickups), then to get pissed as a maggot and kill themselves on Mum's motorbike.

I remember Songkran in Phuket about 15 years ago. It was just awful and the only tourists I saw were foreign youths who only came for the piss-up and to behave like a lout for a while and show their true nature to the girls they picked up last week and hope to shag later tonight.  if they get them pissed enough before them.

Now, I stock up on food and water then park the cars and lock the gates, on my Thai wife's insistence - she is equally horrified at what a previously gentle and quaint custom has become.

I guess she's learned how to be curmudgeonly from me...

8 hours ago, webfact said:

TAT special fake news, how they base their estimates/expectations, they didn't say from where they are coming, maybe the rich senior citizens from India on a special tour... I don't think many foreigners will come as the word is getting out about the visa issues

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The number of Songkran-specific visitors is up this year, partly because of the growing popularity of the festival internationally

Growing popularity .! Most folk I know avoid it like the plague and that includes some Thai's .. 

9 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Now there's a bit of pre emptive spin, the holiday is over two weeks away and already the numbers are in.....great clairvoyance!

Well, it does seem to be a bit of a tradition around this time of year, in government circles; knowing the totals before any counting has been done...

????

Really I dont understand how people can enjoy that way to party ! Throwing water to the face of the people along with that sticky white powder and getting plenty of it as you just step outside.
For me it looks like an idiotic pathetic way for try to look what lies under females wet t-shirts. Really annoying and childish.
I live in Thailand since abt 24 years and the more i see it the more I enjoy staying home on those frenetic days. Am I the only one expat hating Songkran ??

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

22 minutes ago, TITOLAS said:

Really I dont understand how people can enjoy that way to party ! Throwing water to the face of the people along with that sticky white powder and getting plenty of it as you just step outside.
For me it looks like an idiotic pathetic way for try to look what lies under females wet t-shirts. Really annoying and childish.
I live in Thailand since abt 24 years and the more i see it the more I enjoy staying home on those frenetic days. Am I the only one expat hating Songkran ??

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You're a long way from being that I suspect.

5 hours ago, MisterPenguin said:

Yes, I know I probably sound like an old curmudgeon, but why? Why would they come a-flocking?

Songkran is no longer of cultural significance, it's degenerated into an excuse for an alienated youth to behave obnoxiously for a few days without consequence (with or without trollops baring their tits to the sound of horrendously loud music in the back of pickups), then to get pissed as a maggot and kill themselves on Mum's motorbike.

I remember Songkran in Phuket about 15 years ago. It was just awful and the only tourists I saw were foreign youths who only came for the piss-up and to behave like a lout for a while and show their true nature to the girls they picked up last week and hope to shag later tonight.  if they get them pissed enough before them.

Now, I stock up on food and water then park the cars and lock the gates, on my Thai wife's insistence - she is equally horrified at what a previously gentle and quaint custom has become.

I guess she's learned how to be curmudgeonly from me...

Have you even tried Songkran in the last 15 years??  That’s what’s so funny about negative comments each year on TVF is the loudest mouths have not even gone out to see what fun it is. 

I don’t really know what exact city each complainer is from but this will be my 5 th Songkran on Silom In BKK. I go for 2 out of 3 days. I rarely see very drunk people there ( the last couple years was maybe no booze sold nearby but no different other years). There are almost no people with powder.  Lots of kids, young and old Thais , lots of foreigners around and everybody is having a blast. I expect the same this year as well. I have my super soaker and Songkran shirt all ready to go. It is also a myth super soakers are banned because several police there see many many people with them. It’s a great way to destress and very therapeutic as well. 

Archived