Taxi fare jumps 40 baht in 200 meters - and the registration inside and out doesn't match

webfact

Taxi fare jumps 40 baht in 200 meters - and the registration inside and out doesn't match

5pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

A Thai woman went online to warn fellow passengers after she traveled in a taxi from Don Muang airport to her home in nearby Laksi on Sunday. 

All seemed normal until they got to the last few hundred meters near her home - in 200 meters the fare leaped from 67 baht to 117. 

She was faced with a fare of 167 baht including the 50 baht fee for using the airport rank. 

The driver said he didn't know what happened and said to just give him 120 baht. 

There had been suspicions about the driver on the journey.

The passenger took pictures inside the vehicle of the meter and the internal registration card. 

When she contacted the Department of Land Transport it was found that the registration inside and outside the vehicle did not match. 

Thai Rath reported that the company that owns the taxi had been ordered to stand the car down for thirty days. 

The meter is also now being investigated. 

The passenger told Thai Rath that the fare to her house is never over 120 baht even with the 50 baht surcharge included. 

She advised those complaining to take pictures of the registration inside and outside the vehicle. 

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-03-19

I have faced a dodgy fare meter myself. For maybe 1 km I watched the numbers increment like a petrol pump.

I asked the driver to pull over. Paid him and told him he was a thief.

Then I hailed another cab and traveled happily to my destination.

1 hour ago, Billthekiwi said:

I have faced a dodgy fare meter myself. For maybe 1 km I watched the numbers increment like a petrol pump.

Paid him?? It would not have been me.

I one time I glanced yo and the meter seemed to be going faster than normal, then I saw the wires from the meter to a switch to the man's side. It was hidden under that towel. Covering the meter should be illegal, modern electronics can stand wuite a bit if heat. Or the manufacturer needs to add a fan.  It was a short hop so he could not rip me off much .  But I pointed out the wires.   now that I know Thailand more, I would be tempted to take a picture and confront the guy but now that I know Thailand more, I know that could get my throat slit. 

This happened to me twice in 2 weeks from DMK.  Both times when I pointed it out to the driver , they got nervous, turned off the meter saying “ok , pay what you normally pay” 

No doubt they catch a fair number of unsuspecting tourist that don’t know better.  The government could curb this with some sting operations. 

I am not doubting you but I like to understand the mechanics of such things.

How do they get the meter to advance more quickly only at certain times on demand?

How are the meters designed to measure distance? I can understand how a clock would measure time, ofcourse...lol

13 hours ago, Billthekiwi said:

I'm thinking it is 12 years ago, now. I had a couple dodgy meters and two which snapped off in the middle of the Swamp to BKK run. New charges plus of course, an argument. Those taxis were from the Official Box at the airport BTW.

That marked when I basically just gave up and now I take the A1 bus from DM to BTS, or the Trainlink from the Swamp to BTS. In the last 12 years I might have taken 3 taxis period. I just don't.

Just say no, you will be happy you did.  :biggrin: 

I still don’t understand the actual mechanism (electrical, mechanical) that these meters function on and which is so easily manipulated.

Also, I have seen the new meters which are like a phone App and these seemed like they would be easier to cheat with since a false website could be created quite easily that the paying passenger would not know the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I still don’t understand the actual mechanism (electrical, mechanical) that these meters function on and which is so easily manipulated.

Also, I have seen the new meters which are like a phone App and these seemed like they would be easier to cheat with since a false website could be created quite easily that the paying passenger would not know the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Just now, ShortTimed said:
2 hours ago, LomSak27 said:
In the last 12 years I might have taken 3 taxis period. I just don't.

Just say no, you will be happy you did.  biggrin.gif&key=5623a6f3298f719f3c769c570835889d92086c776f18f3187c5566e93c93ad18 

I took 3 yesterday...Lol

Whatever makes you happy. I'm happy and that is what matters st

Whatever makes you happy. I'm happy and that is what matters st

Must be a barrier in communication.

I hadn’t meant anything untowards you...except it is quite apparent you have your priorities backward. ;-)

Its only that I am a fairly new arrival here and if not taxis then its motorbike taxis and as adept as they may be and the better rider in this traffic, there is no way I am trusting my life to them.

I am a hefty fellow and not sure even they could overcome the laws of gravity I present...Lol

Archived