Premchai sentenced to 16 months without suspension

webfact

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't read all of the posts. But I suspect someone will have already offered this likely scenario:

- that he will lodge an appeal; conviction upheld and sentence increased; appeal to Supreme Court, conviction upheld but sentence suspended and fine increased. Alternatively, he wins appeal, prosecutors take case to Supreme Court and will win, but with sentence suspended.

I'm taking bets on the sentence ultimately being suspended. Any takers?

3 hours ago, Bobobirdiebuddy said:

I'm flabbergasted he has been actually sentenced to an active term.  Let's see how this plays out.

LOL.... they might have to wait for his construction company to build and staff a purpose built prison for him... a la el chapo.

My money is on this sentence being a public relations spectacle meant to show justice being served... And a complete reversal shortly after the election is concluded.

3 hours ago, asiaexpat said:

Bail and multiple appeals will keep him free for the foreseeable future. Thailand justice; wealth means everything.

True, but it's mostly the same in any country.... just you need more in America, UK, Europe.  Always a way out if you have enough money.  

4 hours ago, asiaexpat said:

Bail and multiple appeals will keep him free for the foreseeable future. Thailand justice; wealth means everything.

Yes, and by the time the appeals run out he will have developed illnesses of old age and diabetes and get a medical pardon OR he may serve time like the heads of the Mexican cartels do. It includes a luxury apartment within the prison, alcohol, ladies, good food, flat screen TV, etc. as farcanell posted. It could make 16 months bearable.

1 hour ago, Dexlowe said:

I haven't read all of the posts. But I suspect someone will have already offered this likely scenario:

- that he will lodge an appeal; conviction upheld and sentence increased; appeal to Supreme Court, conviction upheld but sentence suspended and fine increased. Alternatively, he wins appeal, prosecutors take case to Supreme Court and will win, but with sentence suspended.

I'm taking bets on the sentence ultimately being suspended. Any takers?

The brown envelops will speed up the process

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

that quoted comment  below from your post doesn't belong to me... Is the TVF quoting system on the fritz???

Screenshot_3.jpg.6c951ae87d28029918f42a7e0742926f.jpg

You are correct, sir, for which I duly apologize to you..

4 hours ago, Psimbo said:

A good result given the circumstances but Thaigeezers STILL feel the need to beatch about it.

Forget about the sentence its the HUGE loss of face that counts in his circles. 

9 hours ago, Just Weird said:

"He'll be out on bail before you can blink..."

Why should he not be allowed to request bail if he intends to appeal?  That is a common concept worldwide, not just in Thailand, when a case is being appealed.  Would you deny him the same basic right that everyone else who is granted bail is allowed? 

"While out on bail and appeal, he'll probably continue pretty much as normal".

Why not, that's one of the concepts of bail, isn't it? 

It didn't work for the mushroom pickers.

What is the difference?

They were poor and he is rich.

8 hours ago, briansbiology said:

arguing a moot point. stating he will be out on bail somehows triggers you into thinking people are debating whether he should be allowed on bail. Of course he should be allowed out on bail.

Why? He was found guilty.

Premchai was acquitted of possessing a black leopard carcass and collecting wildlife items in a national forest reserve without permission.

So after all this he’s actually acquitted of the killing and possession of the black leopard? Shameful. You had one job, judge....

10 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

3 pages of comments and only two comments actually saying something positive about the resulting sentence. 

This is a MAJOR verdict irrespective of what could possibly happen at appeal.

Even when they (Thais) do something right the posters here cant get over their negative attitudes and bitching mentality. What a shower.

I think you'll find Thai websites are pretty much saying the same thing.

While a Russian tourist, not speaking English, was thrown in the slammer in Phuket for illegally feeding fish with food she bought from a boat boy - until a fellow Russian put up THB 100'000 bail ..........

I have the funny feeling that we have not read the last chapter of this particular saga - maybe the case is being re-evaluated in that retreat compound on Doi Suthep where the legal brains of the land congregate to rule over the underlings in the land - while we speak that is .......... 

His construction team have been busily modifying a wing of the prison to bring it up to a suitable 5 star standard, whilst the tunnel boring team have finished constructing the alternate access tunnel. When his sentance finishes he can lease the wing to other high flyers who are notionally locked up.

14 hours ago, billd766 said:

It didn't work for the mushroom pickers.

What is the difference?

They were poor and he is rich.

There were no "mushroom pickers" but let's assume that there were for the purposes of this comment, did they not get bail initially before they were convicted for the crimes that they actually committed?

46 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

There were no "mushroom pickers" but let's assume that there were for the purposes of this comment, did they not get bail initially before they were convicted for the crimes that they actually committed?

No.

Besides Premchai was out on bail.

He has since been convicted so why should he be allowed bail?

Archived