Thai honesty: Undeniable proof at last as Somchai the minivan driver returns everything to Japanese tourist

webfact

Thai honesty: Undeniable proof at last as Somchai the minivan driver returns everything to Japanese tourist

9pm_VI.jpg

Picture: The Pattaya News

Posters on online forums that claim examples of Thai honesty are fabricated were dealt a crushing blow yesterday in Pattaya. 

A Japanese tourist was video-ed giving his heartfelt appreciation to a minivan driver, the Department of Land Transport (DLT) and the Pattaya Tourist Police. 

Ryochi Mihashi, 46, had taken a minivan from the bus station in Rayong to South Pattaya. 

But he left his bag in the van - it contained 4,100 baht, US 440, 56,000 yen, a phone, a notebook and other items. 

The hero of the hour was driver Somchai Bunsiri who handed the bag into the DLT on Sunday. 

With help from the Japanese Embassy the DLT and the cops Mihashi-san was traced. 

A video showed him ensuring everything was in place - it WAS down to the very last baht. 

As a smiling Lt-Col Piyapong Ensarn, chief of the Pattaya Tourist police, looked on the delighted Japanese tourist confirmed that all was in order. 

Then in broken English he said a "very, very thank you" to the driver, the DLT and the police. 

Some people online claim that such stories are set-ups made to present Thailand in a good light after negative press. And minivan drivers often face the brunt of bad stories about their driving. 

Now, Thaivisa notes, the truth is finally out!

Source: The Pattaya News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-03-19

44 minutes ago, webfact said:

Some people online claim that such stories are set-ups made to present Thailand in a good light after negative press. And minivan drivers often face the brunt of bad stories about their driving. 

yes the truth is already out 

Thailand has meny bad drivers and it will continue so long government not do anything about them 

When we are open to it many acts of kindness, generosity, and honesty are right there in the open. Happy for the Japanese visitor, he got back what was his. And grateful to the minivan driver for his honesty. 

3 hours ago, webfact said:

And minivan drivers often face the brunt of bad stories about their driving. 

But but but.... this story has nothing to do with the bad stories about their driving, so thaivisa, the truth is hardly out at all.

that said, it’s undeniably wrong to say that all taxi and minibus drivers are either dishonest or unsafe... it’s simply not true, but unfortunately it’s a damn site more than “one bad apple” that’s ruining the barrel.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

What truth is that, one van driver did the right thing expected of him!

Good show and all that, better than the buses where somebody scavenges around in the luggage hold pilfering from bags!

One extremely lucky Japanese ! This sort of Thai dishonesty has a long way to go before becoming honesty! They love to be portrayed as good old honest people don’t they ?! Totally full of it, you can judge it by the photo shoot, please grow up and act your age !

Guys, don't you think it's high time you stopped being so skeptical about all this recent honesty?

It's really happening!

OK, perhaps there are some minor issues we're not aware of, like perhaps the honest folk who return this money are compensated in some way, unknown to us farangs?

Perhaps the word went out to taxi drivers that the powers that be in Thailand will ensure some type of wonderful benefits to these honest Thai folk?

In any case, if it was my money or belongings that were lost, and returned to me, I for one, would be extremely grateful, how about you guys?

As the saying goes, don't look a gift horse in the mouth, ok folks?

My two cents, duly deposited.

Now if only they could show you the video of the same asshat driver and his co-workers driving like complete cockwombles when they drive through Ban Chang on the way from Rayong to Pattaya that would be far more like reality!!

14 hours ago, Mukdahanman said:

I know the story is important, but all I could think when looking at the photo was, ‘he’s rather tall for a Japanese guy’ - unless the Thais are all midgets 

It was another "tall" tale. 

Ordinary Thais are actually quite honest in this way.  I have forgotten items and had them returned but I also had to pay a taxi driver in Bkok to bring me my phone I had forgot lol. 

What is suspect is the "taxi driver" story as I would be surprised that the same guys trying to extort higher prices around Suk for example are knights in shining armor at the same time.  Sure some get returned but what about all the other unreported ones that do not?

20 hours ago, balo said:

I don't see a minivan driver in the picture, only 4 police guys and the tourist. So yes , staged.

Perhaps the driver didn't want to be included in the photo/video?  If it was staged why would they have not completed the staging with a driver?

On 3/19/2019 at 5:29 AM, webfact said:

The story is not about driving, it's about honesty. I have had a Thai Lady chase after me to give me 5 baht change. I had not bothered to collect. On the other hand, a neighbour Taxi Driver wanted to charge me double his published fare rate. One Good Taxi Driver does not make up for the thousands of Taxi Drivers who are not honest.

The last time I was in Bangkok, I had a 20 baht bill in my pocket.  Twice, when I pulled something else out of my pocket, that bill dropped to the ground behind me, in the crowd that I was walking in.  

Twice, I felt a gentle poke to my back, turned around, and the person that poked me was holding that 20 baht bill out to me.  One person was a woman who just held the bill out to me, the other a guy who said in English, "you drop".  

That makes two, honest Thai people, in Bangkok.  

However, my Thai brother in law's wife, living here in the United States.  Hide your wallet before you meet up with her. 

6 hours ago, radiochaser said:

The last time I was in Bangkok, I had a 20 baht bill in my pocket.  Twice, when I pulled something else out of my pocket, that bill dropped to the ground behind me, in the crowd that I was walking in.  

Twice, I felt a gentle poke to my back, turned around, and the person that poked me was holding that 20 baht bill out to me.  One person was a woman who just held the bill out to me, the other a guy who said in English, "you drop".  

That makes two, honest Thai people, in Bangkok.  

However, my Thai brother in law's wife, living here in the United States.  Hide your wallet before you meet up with her. 

Kindly repeat the exercice with a 1000 Bhat bill and please advise.

Archived