Going back to australia to get your pension

Gazza0308

Hi everyone.........,just a refresher.....i was retired in thailand for 8 years. January this year i could apply for my pension, but i had to be in australia to do so.

So i came back to australia to apply for my pension. I was told that because i had been out of the country for 8 years i had to proove i was going to stay in australia. The length of time i had to stay here was 2 years.

My wife and baby are back in thailand. So yesterday i was told here that maybe i can waiver the 2 years at this government department from tasmania. I called them today.......it is centerlink international.

The guy told me after i explained to him about my baby and wife back there, that yes i had to be here for 2 years. But i can go back to thailand every 3 or 4 months only for 2 or 3 weeks. While i am there for the 2 or 3 weeks i will not get my pension for that time.

After the 2 years then yes i can go back there and take my pension with me.

This is a f.........g stupid rule as i had worked in australia for 50 years and paid all my taxes.

Anywayjust to let anyone else going to apply for their pension after living in thailand for a long time.......dont expect too much you are not a resident

49 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

You should have known this.

I would hazard a prophecy that apart from the "Treaty" countries..Australia will soon dispense with overseas pensions altogether.

I can't see that happening TBH.

If someone has worked most of their life in Australia and are entitled to the OAP,

they should be able to get it anywhere they like.

Having said that, they do seem to be tightening the rules.

11 minutes ago, Will27 said:

I can't see that happening TBH.

If someone has worked most of their life in Australia and are entitled to the OAP,

they should be able to get it anywhere they like.

Having said that, they do seem to be tightening the rules.

Yes they are.

There are no "wouldas", "shouldas" and "couldas"in this world.

They have been tightening the rules for years-and I don't see any reason why they will stop.

If there were any "shoulds" then the OP should have kept himself up to date with the policies-not express surprise and dismay now.

I've had to put up with this shit for the past 10 years. I'm a 75yo retired plumber who's paid heaps of tax. Officially I can't get the aged pension in Australia even though I'm fully qualified because I broke my residential status. Let's get this straight Australian politics is all about 2 parties, Liberal 40% and Labour 40% that's a 20% margin for the swinging voters. So where do us minority expats fit into their quest for power. Move on Aussies.

9 minutes ago, Mason45 said:

I've had to put up with this shit for the past 10 years. I'm a 75yo retired plumber who's paid heaps of tax. Officially I can't get the aged pension in Australia even though I'm fully qualified because I broke my residential status. Let's get this straight Australian politics is all about 2 parties, Liberal 40% and Labour 40% that's a 20% margin for the swinging voters. So where do us minority expats fit into their quest for power. Move on Aussies.

Well..if you broke it..you broke it.

Try the same argument with a Thai Immigration officer..

"Flow my tears.."

And,mark my words,the rules will get tougher.

1 minute ago, gunderhill said:

Wonder  when they'll  try  this  crap  in  the UK? 

Well..they froze the pension in the UK for expats in Thailand..

Ain't much use getting up in the morning and exclaiming "I've been shafted!" when a deaf ,dumb and blind mute should have seen it coming from a mile away.

Not to mention Thai immigration's favourite motto.."flow my tears."

I am an Australian by the way.

3 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

I am an Australian by the way.

Sorry to hear that,???? I  know its  frozen, they also  keep  moving the goalposts on contribution years to qualify for  full, 42 to 30 to 32, gave up on it years ago, paid  in 30  years couldn't care  less  now.

Just  like they told us years ago to buy diesel cars.

Same here, paid a zillion in tax (still do). While I am financially secure I do feel for those that aren't. There's no votes in it so if anything, pensions will become even harder to get. Those who still can, need to accumulate a decent super nest egg if possible or invest wisely, as it isn't looking any better down the track.

Just now, gunderhill said:

Sorry to hear that,???? I  know its  frozen, they also  keep  moving the goalposts on contribution years to qualify for  full, 42 to 30 to 32, gave up on it years ago, paid  in 30  years couldn't care  less  now.

They don't keep moving the goalposts..they sold 'em on Southerby's for 4 pounds 10p which promptly went into the PM's slush fund.

What some Aussies don't or will not understand is our goalposts will join  your goalposts for a test match to the finish...

Sorry to hear that you aren't an Aussie as I don't think that we have 10 pound immigrant tickets any more and stealing a loaf of bred just doesn't cut the mustard..

4 minutes ago, kkerry said:

Same here, paid a zillion in tax (still do). While I am financially secure I do feel for those that aren't. There's no votes in it so if anything, pensions will become even harder to get. Those who still can, need to accumulate a decent super nest egg if possible or invest wisely, as it isn't looking any better down the track.

Yes,bang on.

9 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

They don't keep moving the goalposts..they sold 'em on Southerby's for 4 pounds 10p which promptly went into the PM's slush fund.

What some Aussies don't or will not understand is our goalposts will join  your goalposts for a test match to the finish...

Sorry to hear that you aren't an Aussie as I don't think that we have 10 pound immigrant tickets any more and stealing a loaf of bred just doesn't cut the mustard..

Yeah but  you haven't seen the  size of my didgeridoo????

• 1 month later...

Thanks for sharing.

I just discovered Im not entitled to an Australian War service Pension because of pretty much the same residency rules, come back to OZ for 2 years etc.

I'm 74, lived/worked in Oz permanently until just before 50th birthday.

What annoys me further is that I receive a DVA Disability Pension at the highest level, I live in a wheelchair and I need someone to push the wheelchair and I need continuous 24 hr care and help, but no pension because I didn't return to OZ for 2 years before applying for the Service Pension.

Bottom line, it's impossible for me to return and live in OZ, I have no surviving family in Oz and my home went to my ex wife in a divorce settlement, the divorce was caused by my PTSD condition from service in Vietnam.

I've read before the hobart office of centerlink is easier to deal with for older people. I've tried to find a phone number for centrelink in Hobart but I can't find one, can someone please help with the number if you have it.

If any members have some tips to share in this specific situation your advice is most welcome.

Thanks.

On 3/19/2019 at 3:10 PM, Mason45 said:

You only need to establish residency again they can not stop you

3 hours ago, madmen said:

You only need to establish residency again they can not stop you

Thanks for that.

What i'm now looking for, please:

- Some very specific details of re-establishing residency.

- Whether this is any flexibility or compromises in re-establishing residency for a 74 yr old Aussie in a wheelchair with very serious lower back and knee problems, serious lung / severe bronchitis problems and serious PTSD problems all war service related, meaning that the person needs constant support, care, help in daily living.

On the point just above are any TV members aware of suitable respite homes or similar anywhere in OZ that might be suitable and any idea of costs.

Would Perth be a good place to sit out the 2 years back in OZ time period? (Not interested in night life, expensive restaurants etc, just basic non expensive living.) 

Thanks

32 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Thanks for that.

What i'm now looking for, please:

- Some very specific details of re-establishing residency.

- Whether this is any flexibility or compromises in re-establishing residency for a 74 yr old Aussie in a wheelchair with very serious lower back and knee problems, serious lung / severe bronchitis problems and serious PTSD problems all war service related, meaning that the person needs constant support, care, help in daily living.

On the point just above are any TV members aware of suitable respite homes or similar anywhere in OZ that might be suitable and any idea of costs.

Would Perth be a good place to sit out the 2 years back in OZ time period? (Not interested in night life, expensive restaurants etc, just basic non expensive living.) 

Thanks

A bit more...

Would living in a hotel for 2 years (reasonable price - perhaps in Perth) be acceptable / not acceptable in terms of re-establishing residence?

I'm guessing once back in OZ the OAP (if approved) would start immediately and not after a 2 year waiting period?

Is there much flexibility about trips back home (Thailand) in the 2 year period? Or not allowed?

Thanks

This is where Australia leads in stupidity.

Think about it, if you were residing in Australia getting your pension, you would also be getting free medicare and all other discounts, costing government more money.

If you reside overseas and getting your pension, the only cost to the government is the pension, not a single dollar more.

If anything, they, government should be encouraging pensioners to go live elsewhere, government would save hundreds of millions of dollars per year.

I am not of retirement age, have been living out of the country for almost 20 years, not a resident for any purposes and yet i am unable to get my super out.

5 hours ago, scorecard said:

Thanks for sharing.

I just discovered Im not entitled to an Australian War service Pension because of pretty much the same residency rules, come back to OZ for 2 years etc.

I'm 74, lived/worked in Oz permanently until just before 50th birthday.

What annoys me further is that I receive a DVA Disability Pension at the highest level, I live in a wheelchair and I need someone to push the wheelchair and I need continuous 24 hr care and help, but no pension because I didn't return to OZ for 2 years before applying for the Service Pension.

Bottom line, it's impossible for me to return and live in OZ, I have no surviving family in Oz and my home went to my ex wife in a divorce settlement, the divorce was caused by my PTSD condition from service in Vietnam.

I've read before the hobart office of centerlink is easier to deal with for older people. I've tried to find a phone number for centrelink in Hobart but I can't find one, can someone please help with the number if you have it.

If any members have some tips to share in this specific situation your advice is most welcome.

Thanks.

If you are getting an obviously portable good DVA pension at the moment why do you want to come back to claim residency for portability for the AAP?

6 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

If you are getting an obviously portable good DVA pension at the moment why do you want to come back to claim residency for portability for the AAP?

Here's the situation:

-I receive a DVA DIsability Pension which was portable from the day granted but not much more than survival even in Thailand. 

-I applied for the DVA Service Pension but got knocked out on the cannot re-establish home in OZ for 2 years. (I am in a wheelchair with severe disabilities, that doesn't bring and flexibility whatever and raises flags that I wouldn't be genuinely re-establishing a home in Australia.) 

-Now trying to get some details / complications on getting the OAP. 

4 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Here's the situation:

-I receive a DVA DIsability Pension which was portable from the day granted but not much more than survival even in Thailand. 

-I applied for the DVA Service Pension but got knocked out on the cannot re-establish home in OZ for 2 years. (I am in a wheelchair with severe disabilities, that doesn't bring and flexibility whatever and raises flags that I wouldn't be genuinely re-establishing a home in Australia.) 

-Now trying to get some details / complications on getting the OAP. 

So your DVA pension with supplements is less than the $880 AAP pension.

Also would a portable DVA Service pension be more or less than this?

7 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

So your DVA pension with supplements is less than the $880 AAP pension.

Also would a portable DVA Service pension be more or less than this?

Q. So your DVA pension with supplements is less than the $880 AAP pension.

A. I don't currently receive a DVA pension (Service Pension) - I can't get it for complications with the regulations / requirement for re-establishing a home in Australia. 

Q. Also would a portable DVA Service pension be more or less than this?

A. A portable DVA Service Pension is roughly the same as the OAP.

7 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Q. So your DVA pension with supplements is less than the $880 AAP pension.

A. I don't currently receive a DVA pension (Service Pension) - I can't get it for complications with the regulations / requirement for re-establishing a home in Australia. 

Q. Also would a portable DVA Service pension be more or less than this?

A. A portable DVA Service Pension is roughly the same as the OAP.

I am trying to help you here. I have some experience with the AAP.

So the current DVA Pension that you are receiving ie the DVA Disability Pension is less than the $880 AAP pension Y/N?

Curious I would have thought that the DVA Service Pension would have more benefits than the AAP.

14 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

I am trying to help you here. I have some experience with the AAP.

So the current DVA Pension that you are receiving ie the DVA Disability Pension is less than the $880 AAP pension Y/N?

Curious I would have thought that the DVA Service Pension would have more benefits than the AAP.

Q. So the current DVA Pension that you are receiving ie the DVA Disability Pension is less than the $880 AAP pension Y/N?

A. Yes, the current DVA Disability Pension is about 18% less than the current Aust. Old Age Pension.  

A. If your meaning medical benefits, veterans who receive a Disability pension regardless of location have a DVA Gold Card which provides full health cover for any health item when the veteran is in Australia. The same Gold card is issued to veterans receiving the DVA Service Pension and again it provides full health cover for any health item when the veteran is in Australia. The coverage when the Service Pensioner is outside of Australia I don't know. But for me that's now a moot point because I cannot get the DVA Service Pension.  For veterans living in Australia yes it can be very valuable. 

For DVA Disability Pensioners living abroad the Gold card provides cover (full cover) for any medical service specifically related to the DVA accepted disabilities, but no more. Yes it's quite valuable because in many cases the treatment / surgery related to disabilities can be very costly (case by case). It also means that for general health matters the veteran (when outside of Australia) is a personal expense.

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

A bit more...

Would living in a hotel for 2 years (reasonable price - perhaps in Perth) be acceptable / not acceptable in terms of re-establishing residence?

I'm guessing once back in OZ the OAP (if approved) would start immediately and not after a 2 year waiting period?

Is there much flexibility about trips back home (Thailand) in the 2 year period? Or not allowed?

Thanks

A claim for pension can be lodged by a former resident ONLY IF, on the evidence available, there is a clear intention to remain permanently in Australia. A person who intends to return to Australia for a 24 month period only would not be an 'Australian resident' as per SSAct subsection 7(2).

A genuine permanent resident needs to demonstrate links in Australia eg family bonds and/or property purchase/rental agreements etc

The AAP if approved starts from date of application.

A short absence from Australia (as long as the person is still classed as an Australian resident) should not impact on the end date of this 24 month residence period (i.e. the absence still counts towards the person's 24 month residence period).

http://guides.dss.gov.au/guide-social-security-law/7/1/4

29 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

A claim for pension can be lodged by a former resident ONLY IF, on the evidence available, there is a clear intention to remain permanently in Australia. A person who intends to return to Australia for a 24 month period only would not be an 'Australian resident' as per SSAct subsection 7(2).

A genuine permanent resident needs to demonstrate links in Australia eg family bonds and/or property purchase/rental agreements etc

The AAP if approved starts from date of application.

A short absence from Australia (as long as the person is still classed as an Australian resident) should not impact on the end date of this 24 month residence period (i.e. the absence still counts towards the person's 24 month residence period).

http://guides.dss.gov.au/guide-social-security-law/7/1/4

Thanks for that.

In my case I have no surviving family in Australia (or anywhere), all deceased more than 2 decades ago (all were born in and died in Australia).

So from your comment I'm guessing that living in a hotel for 2 years would not be accepted as re-establishing residency, but renting an apartment (perhaps on an annual basis and renewed for a second year) would be accepted?

But on completion of the 24 months back in Australia how does the pensioner transition from being in Australia to returning to Thailand on a permanent basis and keeping the OAP for life, living abroad?  

I'm guessing there would be some type of assessment of the situation (after the 24 months in Australia has been completed) to gain an official approval to go to Thailand and receive the OAP for life, in Thailand?

Or is it automatic that a person who has been receiving the OAP in Australia for 2 years can just go abroad and then ask for payments to be deposited into a bank account abroad and this would not be challenged, forever? 

Would the pensioner have to show that he has gone to Thailand but is still maintaining the rental on the apartment for a third year, or??

14 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Q. So the current DVA Pension that you are receiving ie the DVA Disability Pension is less than the $880 AAP pension Y/N?

A. Yes, the current DVA Disability Pension is about 18% less than the current Aust. Old Age Pension.  

A. If your meaning medical benefits, veterans who receive a Disability pension regardless of location have a DVA Gold Card which provides full health cover for any health item when the veteran is in Australia. The same Gold card is issued to veterans receiving the DVA Service Pension and again it provides full health cover for any health item when the veteran is in Australia. The coverage when the Service Pensioner is outside of Australia I don't know. But for me that's now a moot point because I cannot get the DVA Service Pension.  For veterans living in Australia yes it can be very valuable. 

For DVA Disability Pensioners living abroad the Gold card provides cover (full cover) for any medical service specifically related to the DVA accepted disabilities, but no more. Yes it's quite valuable because in many cases the treatment / surgery related to disabilities can be very costly (case by case). It also means that for general health matters the veteran (when outside of Australia) is a personal expense.

If you were planning on returning to Australia permanently the DVA Service Pension with the Gold Card would win hands down over the AAP.

Archived