BANGKOK 22 May 2019 10:35
Gazza0308

Going back to australia to get your pension

Hi everyone.........,just a refresher.....i was retired in thailand for 8 years. January this year i could apply for my pension, but i had to be in australia to do so.

So i came back to australia to apply for my pension. I was told that because i had been out of the country for 8 years i had to proove i was going to stay in australia. The length of time i had to stay here was 2 years.

My wife and baby are back in thailand. So yesterday i was told here that maybe i can waiver the 2 years at this government department from tasmania. I called them today.......it is centerlink international.

The guy told me after i explained to him about my baby and wife back there, that yes i had to be here for 2 years. But i can go back to thailand every 3 or 4 months only for 2 or 3 weeks. While i am there for the 2 or 3 weeks i will not get my pension for that time.

After the 2 years then yes i can go back there and take my pension with me.

This is a f.........g stupid rule as i had worked in australia for 50 years and paid all my taxes.

Anywayjust to let anyone else going to apply for their pension after living in thailand for a long time.......dont expect too much you are not a resident

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the information, I think you will find most Australians are aware of this. There are 2-3 long running threads discussing it.

Edited by Peterw42

You should have known this.

I would hazard a prophecy that apart from the "Treaty" countries..Australia will soon dispense with overseas pensions altogether.

49 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

You should have known this.

I would hazard a prophecy that apart from the "Treaty" countries..Australia will soon dispense with overseas pensions altogether.

I can't see that happening TBH.

If someone has worked most of their life in Australia and are entitled to the OAP,

they should be able to get it anywhere they like.

Having said that, they do seem to be tightening the rules.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Will27 said:

I can't see that happening TBH.

If someone has worked most of their life in Australia and are entitled to the OAP,

they should be able to get it anywhere they like.

Having said that, they do seem to be tightening the rules.

Yes they are.

There are no "wouldas", "shouldas" and "couldas"in this world.

They have been tightening the rules for years-and I don't see any reason why they will stop.

If there were any "shoulds" then the OP should have kept himself up to date with the policies-not express surprise and dismay now.

Edited by Odysseus123

I've had to put up with this shit for the past 10 years. I'm a 75yo retired plumber who's paid heaps of tax. Officially I can't get the aged pension in Australia even though I'm fully qualified because I broke my residential status. Let's get this straight Australian politics is all about 2 parties, Liberal 40% and Labour 40% that's a 20% margin for the swinging voters. So where do us minority expats fit into their quest for power. Move on Aussies.

9 minutes ago, Mason45 said:

I've had to put up with this shit for the past 10 years. I'm a 75yo retired plumber who's paid heaps of tax. Officially I can't get the aged pension in Australia even though I'm fully qualified because I broke my residential status. Let's get this straight Australian politics is all about 2 parties, Liberal 40% and Labour 40% that's a 20% margin for the swinging voters. So where do us minority expats fit into their quest for power. Move on Aussies.

Well..if you broke it..you broke it.

Try the same argument with a Thai Immigration officer..

"Flow my tears.."

And,mark my words,the rules will get tougher.

5 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

And,mark my words,the rules will get tougher.

Wonder  when they'll  try  this  crap  in  the UK? 

1 minute ago, gunderhill said:

Wonder  when they'll  try  this  crap  in  the UK? 

Well..they froze the pension in the UK for expats in Thailand..

Ain't much use getting up in the morning and exclaiming "I've been shafted!" when a deaf ,dumb and blind mute should have seen it coming from a mile away.

Not to mention Thai immigration's favourite motto.."flow my tears."

I am an Australian by the way.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

I am an Australian by the way.

Sorry to hear that,😁 I  know its  frozen, they also  keep  moving the goalposts on contribution years to qualify for  full, 42 to 30 to 32, gave up on it years ago, paid  in 30  years couldn't care  less  now.

Just  like they told us years ago to buy diesel cars.

Edited by gunderhill
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Same here, paid a zillion in tax (still do). While I am financially secure I do feel for those that aren't. There's no votes in it so if anything, pensions will become even harder to get. Those who still can, need to accumulate a decent super nest egg if possible or invest wisely, as it isn't looking any better down the track.

Edited by kkerry
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, kkerry said:

Same here, paid a zillion in tax (still do). While I am financially secure I do feel for those that aren't. There's no votes in it so if anything, pensions will become even harder to get. Those who still can, need to accumulate a decent super nest egg if possible or invest wisely, as it isn't looking any better down the track.

Yes,bang on.

9 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

They don't keep moving the goalposts..they sold 'em on Southerby's for 4 pounds 10p which promptly went into the PM's slush fund.

What some Aussies don't or will not understand is our goalposts will join  your goalposts for a test match to the finish...

Sorry to hear that you aren't an Aussie as I don't think that we have 10 pound immigrant tickets any more and stealing a loaf of bred just doesn't cut the mustard..

Yeah but  you haven't seen the  size of my didgeridoo😮

• Like 1

As a Brit i think it's disgraceful that someone is denied a pension because of where they choose to live. Like the ridiculous situation for UK pensioners where you get a pension inflation increase if you live in the Philippines but not Thailand.