Best time to renew extension: right before or right after Songkran?

My 'permitted to exist in Thailand' stamp is May 24th.  If I recall, I can renew up to 45 days before that.  Using all my fingers and toes, and a few other appendages, I figured out that the earliest I can apply for renewal is Tuesday, April 9th - the week before Songkran. 

My hypothesis is that immigration lines will be shorter in the days just before Songkran compared to the days just after. Is my reasoning correct?  It's a retirement extension, if that matters, so it should be pretty easy & quick.

24 minutes ago, attrayant said:

That gives me Thursday & Friday to come back in case there's a problem on Weds.

I may be mistaken, but am under the impression that 12 April (your 'Friday'), and 16 April have been added as national holidays, which presumably affect the RTP/Imm?

I can't find the press release but am certain I saw it on an official Twitter feed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, attrayant said:

My 'permitted to exist in Thailand' stamp is May 24th.

And you have good reason (travel plans? expiring document?) to be so early?

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, attrayant said:

Wow good thing I asked. My Thai visa membership fees are really paying off! I’ll plan on the first possible day, Tuesday the 9th. Might be busy, but I don’t see how it could be worse than post-Songkran.

Your earliest possible week to extend falls inside a three day working week for immigration, also true of the following week... 8th, 12th and 15th/16th are closed, Personally I'd choose a midweek day later in April, but you might be ok on the retirement extensions desk. 

Depending on the IO "YOU" use, you can renew up to 60 days in advance.  The earlier you renew, the easier it is to sort out any problems ( if possible ) that surface - you do NOT loose any time, based on anniversary date to anniversary date.

Note: I do my 90 days 5 days in advance, ( 5 days to sort out any problems if any ) you do loose time...based on 90 calendar days.

4 minutes ago, littlepe said:

I was refused an extension at Jomtien for being too early and told 30 days before is maximum.

30 days is normal, at Jomtem I have heard of people being permitted to do it sooner if they can show a flight out of Thailand before the 30 day mark. 

26 minutes ago, edwardflory said:

Note: I do my 90 days 5 days in advance, ( 5 days to sort out any problems if any ) you do loose time...based on 90 calendar days.

Not really needed since you can do the report up to 7 days after the report date.

But I cannot imagine why there would be problem doing the 90 day report when you went to the office to it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, littlepe said:

I was refused an extension at Jomtien for being too early and told 30 days before is maximum.

When was this?

At Jomtien I have applied 35/39 days in advance in 2 of the last 4 years with no comment made by IO.

My expiry date is in 1st week of May and I have applied before end of March without drama. Last year I went in at the end of April and it was not too busy, but would prefer an earlier date this year, just in case.Maybe the IO's realise that the impact of the upcoming Songkran holidays justifies an early application without needing any evidence of travel, etc. Looking to do the same this year.

2 hours ago, dabhand said:

When was this?

At Jomtien I have applied 35/39 days in advance in 2 of the last 4 years with no comment made by IO.

My expiry date is in 1st week of May and I have applied before end of March without drama. Last year I went in at the end of April and it was not too busy, but would prefer an earlier date this year, just in case.Maybe the IO's realise that the impact of the upcoming Songkran holidays justifies an early application without needing any evidence of travel, etc. Looking to do the same this year.

I tried mid Feb - 50 days before due as I was not sure of the new rules Mar 1st.  I was told to come back within 30 days despite polite pleading.

• Thanks 1