No one year multiple non O (Thai child) in Penang anymore

I was just on the phone with Penang Thai Consulate, after an exchange of emails, to make sure things were clear. 

The Consulate, both by email and on the phone, kept on referring me to its website, which is in fact the same as the Embassy in KL, and only mentions single entry non O. 

After insisting on the phone, I was finally told that, no, the Consulate doesn't deliver one year multiple non O visas, anymore. 

Now, I am left with the following question: is there any Embassy or Consulate, not too far from Thailand, that still delivers that type of visa for parents of a Thai child? 

29 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

After insisting on the phone, I was finally told that, no, the Consulate doesn't deliver one year multiple non O visas, anymore. 

I think that is false info since I have seen no reports of them not being issued now.

I suggest you contact Jim the most well known agent in Penang to get the correct info. http://jimsplacepenang.tripod.com/

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, iroc4life said:

Even if they dont do Multi Non-O, get the Non-O and once in Thailand go to your local Imm office and pay +/-3200 Baht for the Multi-ReEntry Stamp

That would only be good for the 90 day entry from a non-o visa is valid. A re-entry permit adds no days it only keeps the permit stay valid that it was issued when entering the country.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, easydoor said:

also in Belgium and in the Netherlands the 'consulate' doesn't give Multiple Non O Visa anymore. Only an 'embassy' delivers it.

The reverse is true for Laos and Malaysia - only the Consulates offer the multi-non-o option.  But I believe all of those are "official consulates" - not "honorary consulates."  

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I think that is false info since I have seen no reports of them not being issued now.

I suggest you contact Jim the most well known agent in Penang to get the correct info. http://jimsplacepenang.tripod.com/

I tried to contact jim. 

First email no reply

2nd time his reply was :  YES, I do visa

his facebook page does not even have a contact option

many bad reviews about the arrogance of this man

and not revealing how much he $$$$ wants for his service

I hope the above OP info is false as this is/was the one "way out" or having to be forced to go Elite style

If he can deliver a multi non-O as I don't know being "friends" with the people working there, greasing the wheels or something... I would not mind

If it is to spend 3 days overthere, flight, hotel, agent,  only SETV non-o , I guess ELite will be the no S... option for 5 years

Edited by justin case

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

The reverse is true for Laos and Malaysia - only the Consulates offer the multi-non-o option.  But I believe all of those are "official consulates" - not "honorary consulates."  

Did Joe not mention that only Penang was left for multi non-o in broad asia ?

3 minutes ago, justin case said:

Did Joe not mention that only Penang was left for multi non-o in broad asia ?

Penang is is the only location doing a multiple entry non-o based upon being the parent of a Thai.

The others only do them based upon marriage.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, justin case said:

I tried to contact jim. 

his facebook page does not even have a contact option

many bad reviews about the arrogance of this man

and not revealing how much he $$$$ wants for his service

Non, non. I beg to differ.

I did 2 visas O 1 year with Jim (last was in november 2018, reports were posted here on TV).

Jim is a nice, helpful and straightful guy.

"Arrogance" is just a myth or a misunderstanding at best.

Yes he doesn't answer quickly to email (or even..... never). So what ?

Jim does the job. And a damn good well. For people like me (not maried, but father of a thai child)... Jim and Penang consulate are a blessing.

If this (shocking) Penang story is true, then Jim will answer, I'm sure.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, JackThompson said:

nly tourist and single entry visas at consulate in Amsterdam

in the hague can do all 

3 hours ago, christophe75 said:

That makes it hard to use him as a source for info - such as the OP's concern.  I also never received a reply (years ago) to an email I sent to him.  That said, he is considered the "go to guy" for those who go to Penang for Thai visas.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, christophe75 said:

Non, non. I beg to differ.

I did 2 visas O 1 year with Jim (last was in november 2018, reports were posted here on TV).

Jim is a nice, helpful and straightful guy.

"Arrogance" is just a myth or a misunderstanding at best.

Jim does the job. And a damn good well. For people like me (not maried, but father of a thai child)... Jim and Penang consulate are a blessing.

If this (shocking) Penang story is true, then Jim will answer, I'm sure.

I can confirm that Jim hasn't answered my email, which I sent 24 hours ago. 

Considering that Penang is not exactly next door, one might want to be 100% sure before going that far for a visa. 

With the Consulate saying that it doesn't grant one year visa (marriage or child) and Jim saying... nothing... Penang appears to be a risky destination for those interested in such a visa. 

Just sayin'... 

5 hours ago, Brunolem said:

I can confirm that Jim hasn't answered my email, which I sent 24 hours ago. 

Considering that Penang is not exactly next door, one might want to be 100% sure before going that far for a visa. 

With the Consulate saying that it doesn't grant one year visa (marriage or child) and Jim saying... nothing... Penang appears to be a risky destination for those interested in such a visa. 

Just sayin'... 

The only consolation, if the worst is true, would be coming back with a single-entry giving 90-days, which can (usually) be extended for 60-days more. 

Cost vs Laos, where only the single-entry is available for "parent of a Thai," would vary based on on one's location in Thailand.

If you come into the country with a tourist visa received from outside Thailand (not a VOA) can you not convert to a Non-O Multi Family Support or Thai Child within Thailand at the Immigration office where you are addressed? That is what I did with my last Non O Visa. Im sure in Bangkok it would be hard, but it is possible to do here depending on the Imm Officer. (Without Greasing the Wheels)

Edited by iroc4life

15 hours ago, andytime said:

I got a multi non O issued in Jan 19 for a Thai child from Penang.. perhaps changed post this but suspect ok. 

I just talked to Jim on the phone. 

He said that you still can get the one year non O, but it is not a 100% sure thing (it could also be refused). 

Some specific documents are required, notably concerning your housing. 

The cost is 830 ringgits, all included. 

Those interested by such a visa would better contact Jim (60 16 653 69 63) before booking a flight. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Brunolem said:

I just talked to Jim on the phone. 

He said that you still can get the one year non O, but it is not a 100% sure thing (it could also be refused). 

Past reports indicate that on the 1st application, one only gets a single.  On the second, they get the Multi.  This may or may not be the case now, but could explain the discrepancy. 

Given Penang is the only option, it seems the only thing to do is try it - or just stick with the singles + extensions.

5 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Past reports indicate that on the 1st application, one only gets a single.  On the second, they get the Multi.  This may or may not be the case now, but could explain the discrepancy. 

Given Penang is the only option, it seems the only thing to do is try it - or just stick with the singles + extensions.

Do you mean first application in Penang specifically, or in general, never mind where it was done previously? 

4 hours ago, Brunolem said:

Do you mean first application in Penang specifically, or in general, never mind where it was done previously? 

I am not 100% sure.  The evidence from my experience and what I have heard seems to suggest that they only count Penang issued visas.  The worst case there is you must If you never had at least a SE non-immigrant visa from Penang, you may only get SE non-immigrant visa on the first application.  so in 3-5 months, you would have to return to get ME non-immigrant visa.  I guess if you live closer to the south or near bangkok (or near an airport/train), the train or air ride isn't too bad.

There was a report recently of someone with a new passport, but had copies of his 1st page (with photo and signature) and the last ME non-o visa from penang from old previous passport.  So he was able to get ME non-o visa from penang on "first" application of his new passport.

9 hours ago, justin case said:

If I would go, I like to go prepared, no surprises

but little Jim does not reply or it is with YES or NO

asked him about costs

asked him about my chances of getting what I want / need with the papers I have = no reply

so Jim can go ....

I hate travel, I hate surprises

Did you see his "website" ? it is a 1999 tripod one pager and links don't even work

and facebook without contact me or message me option

maybe he can get things done

would have preferred he put it on facebook or "his website"

I do have to admit though, these guys can be quite busy.  So they might prioritize local customers first.  Callers second.   If these agents didn't exist at all, imagine you'd have to figure it all yourself with trial/error.

Thailand is not really the place for that attitude.  And definitely not the Thai consulate.   Just keep smiling and have the minimum documentation, you will be ok.   Calmly make your case if any eyebrows are raised; and keep smiling.

At least you know you have some standing (at worst, SE non-o; or marriage and then Penang/Savannakhet).  Consider those digital nomads and such that cannot get their back-to-back TVs anymore.

A third option might be to contact at Herbert at HDVisa (Koh Samui).  Not sure if he will only discuss certain things in person.  But he mainly deals with the Kota Bharu Thai Consulate.  And he's been known to get things done according to a couple of sources.  Whether he can still do it or not, you'd need to investigate.  Especially since you "don't like surprises"   

• Like 1

On 3/21/2019 at 7:14 AM, iroc4life said:

If you come into the country with a tourist visa received from outside Thailand (not a VOA) can you not convert to a Non-O Multi Family Support or Thai Child within Thailand at the Immigration office where you are addressed? That is what I did with my last Non O Visa. Im sure in Bangkok it would be hard, but it is possible to do here depending on the Imm Officer. (Without Greasing the Wheels)

only when you are divorced and a court order you have sole custody

On 3/21/2019 at 11:17 AM, JackThompson said:

I'm kinda done with immigration (not bangkok)

after the shitty hours spend there to please please give me a one time 60 day extension based of being a parent of a Thai child ...   and getting 60 days on the day I applied and not after my extension based on marriage would expire ...

They were more interested if I ever got a 60 days EVER before in 10+ years of doing extensions based on marriage than to see I was there with my child, begging to give 60 days to try to figure out my shitstorm my wife started by simple not wanting to help extend my visa based on marriage anymore which would have taken her 2-3 hours of her life.

Now spending this on taxi rides into the city to go see some overpriced prick of a lawyer that asks more per hour than... (6000 - 9000 baht per hour kinda crap)...