Honest Bangkok taxi driver returns 400,000 baht to Danish tourist

webfact

4 hours ago, GoodieAfterDark said:

I am in tears after reading this article. So many very, very good men in Thailand. So hard to find honest and sincere people in this world. Finally I found a country where I can be happy with so many very, very good men.

Yes, and it's appalling that so many of these honest, do-good drivers die on Thai roads every day from brake failure and walking solid objects.

9 hours ago, Marc19 said:

How do you know he didnt withraw the money in an ATM after he arrived and passed the custom?

How can he withdraw 400.000 in ATM in couple of hours??? 

and why the taxi driver not just go to their hotel in the first place 

Something not at up in this story 

8 hours ago, balo said:

This just sounds so wrong, I am not sure I believe this at all.

He is a Danish tourist, we Scandinavians comes from a cashless society and use cards all the time, and even the smartphone.

Why carry 400k in cash? I never carried that much cash, 30-40k at most. It just doesn't make any sense. And leaving the bag in the car without thinking about it, come on! 

True, strange story; why to have 400000 bahts in cash, and how people can forget such big money in a taxi ? ; I can tell you, I never forget any money somewhere ! money is too much important

I sincerely hope the taxi driver gets a nice reward (minimum 10% of the amount returned) from the tourist. Yes, there are some honest taxi drivers in Thailand. I know personally 2 retirees here in Chiang Mai who had their bags returned recently (last couple of months) with smart phones, credit cards and cash.

On 3/19/2019 at 5:54 PM, Ches9266 said:

I know that when flying into Thailand from the UK, I am not allowed any more than £10,000 in cash.
But according to the Thai custom website which I have just checked...

Currency Import regulations: Local currency (Baht-THB): up to THB 50,000.- per person or THB 100,000.- per family holding one passport. Foreign currencies: unlimited. However, amounts of foreign currency exceeding USD 20,000.- (or equivalent) must be declared to a Customs Officer upon arrival by all travelers.

Therefore did he declare this and if not will he be looking at a fine or the cash seized?

Remember his wife is Thai, you sure it’s 50,000? That’s not a lot of money to bring in,only 1400 USD.

On 3/19/2019 at 3:10 PM, Lucius verus said:

Do taxi drivers inspect the back seat and underseat areas every time a passenger alights.

Smart ones do, yes. 

I drove taxi for years and you wouldn't believe what people leave behind.

Drugs is the main one, as a driver you need to make sure there are no drugs in your car.

Passengers always leave garbage too, so if you want a tip you make sure the next fare isn't dealing with someone else's garbage.

Yes, you look every time.

That said, this story is about as likely true as Santa Claus is coming...

Archived