Use the new Interactive Stray Dog Map – Jomtien Beach first!

rick44

I've created a Google Map where people can add locations where they have encountered problematic stray dogs. I've added a few myself as a start. First entry: Two vicious black dogs chasing people at night (Jomtien Second Road opposite Soi 1)

According to Pattaya Mail on March 8, Deputy Mayor Manote Nongyai has ordered stray dogs removed from Jomtien Beach. But they are still there...

I've interviewed the "Pattaya Dogcatcher", alias Chief Veterinarian Suraphong Wongsutthawart, a couple of times, and the plan is to share the map with him.

Scandinavians (or those of you who have access to Google Translate) can read the first interview here.

He is aware of the situation, but I believe his department is not equipped to take care of the problem. The best time to catch (and sterilize and vaccinate) stray dogs has to be in the early morning, but the department has no overtime allowance...

3 minutes ago, rick44 said:

the department has no overtime allowance...

Maybe they need a "go fund me page"    could you suggest to Chief Veterinarian Suraphong Wongsutthawart   that a cheaper and permanent option be used instead of the sterilize , vaccination  and presumably release back onto the beach to cause problems again.  the permanent option is called euthanasia.

3 minutes ago, johng said:

Maybe they need a "go fund me page"    could you suggest to Chief Veterinarian Suraphong Wongsutthawart   that a cheaper and permanent option be used instead of the sterilize , vaccination  and presumably release back onto the beach to cause problems again.  the permanent option is called euthanasia.

Permanent option probably not an option here. This job could be done by a private firm. Go Fund Me not a bad idea

Last time I saw them rounding up stray dogs round our way they used a blowpipe / dart / knockout juice. Was very effective.........

Dogs not killed just sleeping and taken away ( ............. then killed?)

12 minutes ago, sinom said:

Last time I saw them rounding up stray dogs round our way they used a blowpipe / dart / knockout juice. Was very effective.........

Dogs not killed just sleeping and taken away ( ............. then killed?)

They came around our housing estate using blowpipe and dart, once the dogs were tranquilized they took them to Bangsare Navy Base where they had the freedom to run around. However one neighbour went down to the base and retrieved the dogs, put collars on them and let them loose on street again, what a mentality.

9 minutes ago, vogie said:

However one neighbour went down to the base and retrieved the dogs, put collars on them and let them loose on street again, what a mentality.

Never get in the way of a Thai and their boon-making method. ????

Unfortunately, in the small community in which I live, there's a big dog problem. Trouble is they are all "owned" by someone, both Thai and farang. When I say "owned" I mean that people put collars on strays that have decided to congregate outside their property and put food out for them once a day. The packs are obviously anti of each other pack and there's a barking battle going on almost 24/7. This never seems to bother the "owners". Why can't folk just have one nice pet dog if they're doggy inclined, instead of a whole pack of them? Why the good lord gave dogs such a loud voice I'll never know. If I had my way, I'd make it law to have pet dogs debarked, then we wouldn't have so many people wanting to keep packs of the beggars if they had to fork out for the operation.

37 minutes ago, jesimps said:

Unfortunately, in the small community in which I live, there's a big dog problem. Trouble is they are all "owned" by someone, both Thai and farang. When I say "owned" I mean that people put collars on strays that have decided to congregate outside their property and put food out for them once a day. The packs are obviously anti of each other pack and there's a barking battle going on almost 24/7. This never seems to bother the "owners". Why can't folk just have one nice pet dog if they're doggy inclined, instead of a whole pack of them? Why the good lord gave dogs such a loud voice I'll never know. If I had my way, I'd make it law to have pet dogs debarked, then we wouldn't have so many people wanting to keep packs of the beggars if they had to fork out for the operation.

I am sympathetic, some foreigners take after Thais and want to claim soi dogs for their own...

Once they put a collar on the dogs, the dogcatchers can't really do anything. Then it becomes a matter for the police. You can contact the local police force, and see if they can help. Bugging them repeatedly about the problem seems to have given results elsewhere.

It’s hard to believe that a place that so wants tourists has let this become such an out of control situation with no effort to control it just like trash everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I promise you that I will use your map to go meet the dog and show you how stupid it is to be scared by them when I can just touch them. It's beyond understanding that people know nothing to this extend. I have never met any dangerous street dogs, maybe the only problem is that they can smell idiots and then become agressive !

16 new entries so far. Remember, you can add images and videos to your entries!

Somehow, Google managed to change the access to the map to "private" for a few hours, but that has now been rectified.

I've added a layer called "Greater Pattaya" in addition to "Jomtien Beach". Jomtien Beach is the area where City Hall ordered immediate action, but the problem is of course not confined to just that area.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1RGDcAJjPc_FsW7JBGXo6UlkAMZ_llRyA&usp=sharing

Archived