Residence Certificate - New Requirement at Jomtien?

I have just wasted two hours going to Jomtien immigration office to get a residence certificate in order to register a new car recently purchased.

I checked the requirements carefully prior to going and had the following with me, which is exactly the same as the last time I did this in December 2016.

One of the drawbacks of the new work permit not having any addresses in it, is the need to get the residence certificate now ???? 

Documents presented:

• Filled out application form for the resident certificate
  • 4 x 6 Photos x 2
  • Copy of passport data page, extension of stay, re-entry permit, last admitted to stamp and TM.6 (plus two spares of each, just in case)
  • Copy of two different AIS bills showing my name and address as proof of address.
  • Original Passport with TM.30 receipt stapled in to it.

Queued for approx. 1 hour for my turn at the desk, the lady took my form and copies etc. then asked what I needed the residence certificate for, so I told her to register a car (it did state this on the application form).

She then told me in a very rude manner that I cannot do, that I need to have some sort of proof that I purchased the car, I then, very politely, asked her what it is they need, so that I could get it, she then told me that it was not her job to tell me that and to find out by myself...........

I then contacted the showroom who sold me the car and they told me that they have never heard of this requirement before and also have no idea what it is immigration require, this dealership sells 40% ++ of their cars to Farangs.

Does anybody have any recent experience of this and have any idea what it is that immigration need?

Failing this, then I will take as much 'proof' as I can muster.

As a footnote, she turned back several people who wanted the certificate for a driving license, saying they must have proof they have a Thai driving license first, which makes you wonder how on earth you get the first one!!!

Edited by Mattd
  • Like 2

Something obviously changed there quite recently  as it used to be easy to get a "residence certificate"  at Jomtien

I have read of people saying they needed to show green/blue book for motorcycle/car

Maybe a sales receipt would do.

4 minutes ago, Mattd said:

which makes you wonder how on earth you get the first one!!!

Yes quite ridiculous !!!!

8 minutes ago, johng said:

Something obviously changed there quite recently  as it used to be easy to get a "residence certificate"  at Jomtien

I have read of people saying they needed to show green/blue book for motorcycle/car

Maybe a sales receipt would do.

Yes, last time was easy.

I don't mind complying in the least, if it is known what you need to provide, not only that she was extremely rude and flippant, I was extremely polite, well dressed (went from work) etc. but was treated like something the cat had dragged in.

I will take everything I have related to the car purchase and see if this satisfies them, I just wanted to check that there isn't some new thing the dealer has to produce and doesn't know about yet.

It is certainly getting harder and harder to hit a moving target.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Yes, last time was easy.

I don't mind complying in the least, if it is known what you need to provide, not only that she was extremely rude and flippant, I was extremely polite, well dressed (went from work) etc. but was treated like something the cat had dragged in.

I will take everything I have related to the car purchase and see if this satisfies them, I just wanted to check that there isn't some new thing the dealer has to produce and doesn't know about yet.

It is certainly getting harder and harder to hit a moving target.

Why not tell the car dealer you are no longer interested in purchasing the car as Immigration has made it impossible.  Dealership probably owned by car dealer 'poo yai' who knows the Immigration 'poo yai'.  Maybe the problem will go away.

I got mine for D/L only last month, easy, handed in docs, went back an hour later was ready.

There was a recent thread that blue/green books of the vehicle being purchased is required, as was a guy when I was there asked to bring the green book...

Just more BS to contend with, my last trip to PI, bought a motorbike without any of the crap you get here

9 minutes ago, mngmn said:

Why not tell the car dealer you are no longer interested in purchasing the car as Immigration has made it impossible.  Dealership probably owned by car dealer 'poo yai' who knows the Immigration 'poo yai'.  Maybe the problem will go away.

I wish I could, unfortunately the car was purchased new at the end of November and has been on red plates, the dealer went to register it at DLT using my work permit and was told that is no longer possible because the address isn't in the new version. 

11 minutes ago, baansgr said:

There was a recent thread that blue/green books of the vehicle being purchased is required

Yes, I saw a couple of blokes with green books, this is fine if the vehicle is secondhand, as mine is new and as yet not registered, then it is not possible to take the book as this doesn't exist yet and can't without the residence certificate ???? 

One of the girls at work has just rang Sriracha immigration to see if I can do there, unfortunately not, as my house is in Banglamung district, she also asked what it is immigration need as proof of purchase and was told that they have no idea as it is not a requirement in Sriracha, so it must be just Jomtien that have decided to add this.

Strange really, as Sriracha reports to Jomtien!

11 minutes ago, mngmn said:

Problem is he's more than likely already paid a large deposit and Thais don't like giving those back

1 minute ago, johng said:

You could (last resort) put it into the name of a very trusted Thai person...until Jomtien sort themselves out...at least it will then have a green book and registration plates.

Thanks, but no thanks.......................... it was a rather an expensive car!!

Worse case I will go the British embassy route, though I'm sure that I can give Jomtien enough proof one way or another.

27 minutes ago, Mattd said:
42 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Yes, I saw a couple of blokes with green books, this is fine if the vehicle is secondhand, as mine is new and as yet not registered, then it is not possible to take the book as this doesn't exist yet and can't without the residence certificate

I recall this giving me problems before with a new motorcycle. I actually got around it by buying it in my girlfriend's name , and transferring it to my name later. Yes she seemed trustworthy.

The residence certificate difficulties at Jomtiem are getting out of hand.

• Like 1

Just now, Puchaiyank said:

Ah yes, good ole Jomtien Beach Immigration...use to become visibly unnerved when having to deal with some of the people there...hated going there with a passion...one of the major reasons I moved... 

It has won award of excellence for many years in a row.

personally never had bad experience in 15 years. Did not always get what I wanted but they were still reasonably friendly.

in OP case, may well be language problem as he said he wants to register a car instead of saying he is buying a new car. 

To you and me it may mean the same but to a non English speaking official sounds different to what she knows 

• Like 1

Take a picture of the car, and all the documents you signed!  That should be evidence enough for immigration! 

Also it helps to have a Thai DL, first thing I applied for when I moved to Thailand. 

Thanks, but no thanks.......................... it was a rather an expensive car!!

Worse case I will go the British embassy route, though I'm sure that I can give Jomtien enough proof one way or another.

I completely understand not wanting to go that route as I said last resort...you could try asking Jomtien for a residence certificate to open a bank account or renew Thai drivers licence....the certificate doesn't actually state "a purpose" just certifies your address.[emoji481]

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BestB said:

in OP case, may well be language problem as he said he wants to register a car instead of saying he is buying a new car. 

To you and me it may mean the same but to a non English speaking official sounds different to what she knows 

I understand where you are coming from, however, I also speak enough Thai to be able to explain to the lady, it wasn't a misunderstanding, she was adamant that she wanted proof of the car purchase, which I will give her in the form of the initial order and the rest of the stuff the dealer gave me, in the hope this is enough. 

6 minutes ago, balo said:

Take a picture of the car, and all the documents you signed!  That should be evidence enough for immigration! 

Also it helps to have a Thai DL, first thing I applied for when I moved to Thailand. 

Roger that, I will be armed for my next visit.

I've held a Thai DL since 1995, so no help there.

1 minute ago, johng said:

I completely understand not wanting to go that route ad I said last resort...you could try asking Jomtien for a residence certificate to open a bank account or renew Thai drivers licence....the certificate doesn't actually state "a purpose" just certifies your address.emoji481.png

Interesting, if all else fails, then I will do that and claim ignorance if it is picked up by DLT ???? 

Interesting, if all else fails, then I will do that and claim ignorance if it is picked up by DLT [emoji846] 
When/if you eventually get the certificate have your trusted Thai friend read it and ask them to point out the bit that specifies "for the purpose of" [emoji106]

5 minutes ago, johng said:

When/if you eventually get the certificate have your trusted Thai friend read it and ask them to point out the bit that specifies "for the purpose of" emoji106.png

I'm sure you are right, which does make a mockery of needing to provide proof to immigration for the purpose of the certificate, onward and upwards................

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Mattd said:

I understand where you are coming from, however, I also speak enough Thai to be able to explain to the lady, it wasn't a misunderstanding, she was adamant that she wanted proof of the car purchase, which I will give her in the form of the initial order and the rest of the stuff the dealer gave me, in the hope this is enough. 

Champ I can only go by what you said, and you said to register car where the “norm” is to say to buy a car.

as I said earlier , bill of sale should be enough ????

When I bought a new car a couple of years ago (in Songkhla), I had to get a letter from the DLT, requesting immigration to issue a Certificate of Residence. Perhaps this is the same requirement in your case?
Its such a crazy plan it might just work !(Scooby Doo )

I got one easily recently.

I wanted to buy a motorbike, but had not purchased it.

I went in with my rental contract that they copied no problem got the cert.

I think showing AIS bills as the OP did can raise suspicions.

Why not go in with a contract or sale agreement, which is much more solid then AIS bill.

Whatever, I have never had any issues with anything at Chonburi immigration from talking with other people in the country I think they are one of the better offices.

Edited by bkk6060

Why not go in with a contract or sale agreement, which is much more solid then AIS bill.

Whatever, I have never had any issues with anything at Chonburi immigration from talking with other people in the country I think they are one of the better offices.
From Jomtien? so you got the residence cert without a purchase invoice?

20 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
52 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

From Jomtien? so you got the residence cert without a purchase invoice?

I most certainly did.

Just like I got one explaining I wanted to get a motorbike license without actually having one prior.

Not sure what is going on with others, but it is a certificate verifying you are a resident.

Show up with sufficient proof and it was not a problem for me.

On this believe what you want.

There are many more scams, lies, cheating going on by Falang then TI.

If anyone wants to know why things are so different and changed, ask your fellow Falang.  They created it not some cloud in the sky.  But of course, no one will ever admit it......

Edited by bkk6060

The following was just last week.

A friend, on an extension of stay based on retirement, wanted to open a second bank account with another bank that was offering a higher interest rate for a 'fixed term' account. The 'new' bank wanted a 'Certificate of Residence' in order to open an account.

My friend went to Jomtien Immigration, explained the above, and was promptly given a Certificate.

I imagine that it would have been possible for my friend to change his mind after being given the Certificate and use the Certificate to buy a car rather than open a second bank account.

4 hours ago, johng said:

You could (last resort) put it into the name of a very trusted Thai person...until Jomtien sort themselves out...at least it will then have a green book and registration plates.

Good idea, what could possibly go wrong. ?

11 hours ago, yodsak said:

Good idea, what could possibly go wrong. ?

Well if your "trusted Thai friend"  turns out to be not trust worthy at all, they will get a nice new expensive car in their name to do whatever they wish with..so as I said "last resort" and "trusted"

15 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

How difficult is that?

Where is it clearly listed what is required to obtain a Certificate of Residence needed for particular reasons? As this is a new requirement (6 months) many people will be arriving unaware, having obtained their last one prior to that.

Why is the Immigration department so deeply interested in the reason for my COR request? A third party requires it, immigration know my status yet likely will want some more paper and fluff as a back-up , plus I am required to pay for it. 

What are these COR's being used for that is causing them such consternation?

Where is it clearly listed what is required to obtain a Certificate of Residence needed for particular reasons? As this is a new requirement (6 months) many people will be arriving unaware, having obtained their last one prior to that.

Why is the Immigration department so deeply interested in the reason for my COR request? A third party requires it, immigration know my status yet likely will want some more paper and fluff as a back-up , plus I am required to pay for it. 
What are these COR's being used for that is causing them such consternation?
Are you a newbie here? logic is thin on the ground when they come up with rules