I don't miss U.K but I miss....

On 3/19/2019 at 4:09 PM, worgeordie said:

Stottie bread ,pease pudding,ham sandwich

regards worgeordie

images.jpg

OMG Stottie cakes - yum, yum.  I used to live in the South of England and had a friend who visited Newcastle always bought me back stottie cakes..Made a wonderful chip buttie!!!

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bury black pudding steaming hot with a good smear of Coleman’s mustard.

Memories of walking around Bolton Markets in the sixties freezing cold and drizzle carrying Mums shopping.

Another favourite, meat and potato pie from pie shop in Churchgate, Bolton.

On 3/19/2019 at 9:52 PM, CharlieH said:

I miss these from Greggs.........

custard slice.JPG

I have made them (similar) but nothing quite hits the spot like a Greggs slice.

Go over to tinnies pie shop in jomtien, he's got vanilla slice for sale, as good or better than any you'll find in Oz. 

Ham, bacon, sausages, pies & pickles. I now make my own.

Cheese. I currently make Ricotta and yogurt.

Staffordshire oatcakes, will give them a try this weekend when I get the house back from the builders.

20190116_193547.jpg

Miss real beer that does not wipe you out for 2 days causing an inability to co-ordinate speech or think after a heavy session of 5-6 beers...

Miss chocolate 3x combo deals in Tesco Express for 1 quid 20.

Miss not expecting crazy driving on the roads.

Miss not having to look to the next out/in visa-run as there are no visa runs.

Don't miss council tax and the weather, or nutters that do unprovoked knife attacks / or just street attacks 'for fun'....don't miss intonation and post codes as tool of people 1-upping each other...don't miss national/political division.

Swings and roundabouts, isn't it ?

????

10 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

He drinks it to wash the foul taste of the warm, flat pommy so called beer out of his mouth.

Horse piss beats the shit out of Caslemaine XXXX, you wouldn't be able to handle a Greene King Abbot Ale :cheesy:????????

On 3/19/2019 at 4:17 PM, baansgr said:

All of that is available in Pattaya....

Not, I assure you that it is not of the same quality, cheap price value and availability, together with the ambience and pleasure of good British company a good old fashioned British pub, in the warm/chill Spring lunchtimes or evenings without mosquitoes biting you every few minutes. Understanding everything that is said to you, enjoying real British humour and a real conversation. I'll add: Ploughman's lunches, a good bottle of cheap wine at lunchtime and early afternoon. Proper barbeques, Pub grub, excellent Italian, French, Indian food and good tasty beer/lager. And a myriad of other half-forgotten pleasures. 

This is not a knock at any other country, their food, drink, humour or social skills and friendship. I don't want to return to UK but I do miss these things here and many others if I think about it.

None of these things are available in Thailand for me without feeling cheated because of the poor quality or the over-pricing system that I am constantly faced with, even after 14 years. and I do speak and read Thai. It's just the way it is.

3 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

Most of you appear  to say what you miss most is food. Why are you so obsessed with something that always ends up as shit ?

Says somebody who has no idea about the UK, no positive taste buds and sounds so desperately jealous!

11 minutes ago, Bundooman said:

Not, I assure you that it is not of the same quality, cheap price value and availability, together with the ambience and pleasure of good British company a good old fashioned British pub, in the warm/chill Spring lunchtimes or evenings without mosquitoes biting you every few minutes. Understanding everything that is said to you, enjoying real British humour and a real conversation. I'll add: Ploughman's lunches, a good bottle of cheap wine at lunchtime and early afternoon. Proper barbeques, Pub grub, excellent Italian, French, Indian food and good tasty beer/lager. And a myriad of other half-forgotten pleasures. 

This is not a knock at any other country, their food, drink, humour or social skills and friendship. I don't want to return to UK but I do miss these things here and many others if I think about it.

None of these things are available in Thailand for me without feeling cheated because of the poor quality or the over-pricing system that I am constantly faced with, even after 14 years. and I do speak and read Thai. It's just the way it is.

In the context of this thread I wouldn't disagree with your comments.

They are probably a good example of the 'sacrifices' we make when emigrating from our home country. I would certainly trade those sacrifices for the lifestyle I have in Thailand/SEAsia. I am perhaps fortunate in visiting the UK once or twice a year so I can re-engage with those pleasures described above.

Having fallen in love, many years ago, with Thailand, Thais, Thai food, Thai culture etc I now find myself rarely eating Thai food and instead try to get the best quality western/western style products I can find e.g. I will buy Friendships Brussels Sprouts - I will no longer buy Talleys (or other) frozen ones. 

The Australian's who have a chip on their shoulder about British people, get very boring with their childish remarks.

They're always the first to start being rude.

Must have inferior potatoes down under; can't make decent chips.

:laugh:

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 9:52 PM, CharlieH said:

I miss these from Greggs.........

custard slice.JPG

I have made them (similar) but nothing quite hits the spot like a Greggs slice.

How strange.... this is the top thing I miss from the UK.  Does not have to be from Greggs, but most cake shops had delicious ones.  

I have rarely found them here, and when I ate them they are not the same.  Place near me they look perfect, and have the correct texture and are BIG, but they have no taste (like they used cream instead of custard in them).  

When I went on holiday to Vietnam these cakes were in every bakery and actually tasted BETTER than I remember the UK ones tasted.  Joke with my partner that we need to go live in Vietnam instead of Thailand.... for that only reason lol.

On 3/19/2019 at 5:15 PM, nikmar said:

have started looking at prices for flights to UK. First stop - chippy!!

That was my first stop, but not anymore, it costs about 7 GBP just for carry out fish and chips.

You can make two huge plates at home for half that price.

On 3/19/2019 at 5:18 PM, colinneil said:

Being a Preston lad, i miss the butter pies, now most of you will not know what i am talking about.

Believe me they are great eating, potato, onion, butter, yummy.

Years ago they were called the Catholic pie, because most Catholics ate them on fridays, when meat was not allowed. 

Here endeth the history lesson.

Is that without the fish or meat Colin?  Only potato, onions and butter? I could never eat onions, too

slimy for me.

On 3/19/2019 at 9:41 PM, Mutt Daeng said:

If you live in Isaan or in the delivery area, you can get some of these items (and many other items) from Nookiebear or Steve the Buriram pieman. Google is your friend.

I don't think there is any way you will get scotch meat pies in Thailand, or I would have had them by now.

27 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

I think it's the lack of deep-fry facilities that's the show-stopper

No, these scotch pies are heated up in the oven, or even a microwave.

Although I prefer them heated in the oven.

But they are deep fried in the Scottish chippys.

1 hour ago, freedomnow said:

Miss real beer that does not wipe you out for 2 days causing an inability to co-ordinate speech or think after a heavy session of 5-6 beers...

Miss chocolate 3x combo deals in Tesco Express for 1 quid 20.

Miss not expecting crazy driving on the roads.

Miss not having to look to the next out/in visa-run as there are no visa runs.

Don't miss council tax and the weather, or nutters that do unprovoked knife attacks / or just street attacks 'for fun'....don't miss intonation and post codes as tool of people 1-upping each other...don't miss national/political division.

Swings and roundabouts, isn't it ?

????

Council tax??  If you are paying income tax, why also pay council tax, I stopped paying it about two years before I came to Thailand.????

Archived