BANGKOK 18 April 2019 23:18
mojaco

Foreign Retired Couple: Husband dies, How long can dependent wife stay?

I cannot find an answer using search.  But if a foreign couple (both foreigners) are retired with the husband as the primary retiree (800,000 in the bank) and the wife as his dependent (free), and he dies, what are her options to stay, and how long does she have to make a new option?

The wife’s extension would end if immigration are informed of the husbands death. She would immediately need to leave the country unless she qualifies to apply for an extension in her own right.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mojaco said:

what are her options to stay,

She can apply for a retirement visa on her own if she is more than 50

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, elviajero said:

The wife’s extension would end if immigration are informed of the husbands death. She would immediately need to leave the country unless she qualifies to apply for an extension in her own right.

She's over 50 and if she had 800,000 already in her own name in a Thai bank for 3 months could she immediately get retirement extension without needing to leave Thailand?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mojaco said:

She's over 50 and if she had 800,000 already in her own name in a Thai bank for 3 months could she immediately get retirement extension without needing to leave Thailand?

Yes she could.

• Thanks 1

7 days to leave the country I believe. Unless the survivor qualifies for an extension in their own right.

• Thanks 1

Very good reason for the wife to have some sort of immediate access to her husbands bank account that was used for the extension of stay.

26 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Immigrants would not be going out and looking for somebody whose family member had died. A person could probably get away with staying until their extension ended.

Wouldn't they technically be on overstay if immigration is informed too late and that is discovered later?

The police have to be informed is a foreigner dies,they would inform the embassy, but doubtful if immigration would link that to a dependant spouse. Tend to agree with UJ whereby in effect the extension of stay is cancelled the surviving spouse would have time to seek alternative, but yes, in reality on overstay.

Posted (edited)

Thank all of you for your replies and advice.  But right now my 800,000 is in a Fixed Deposit and that wouldn't be instantly accessible via ATM card.  So I guess it would be best to get her on her own "retirement extension" ahead of time to avoid any probably-illegal overstay problems.  Or if she would prefer my having the 800,000 in my normal single-owner savings account with her as the death beneficiary registered on that account, maybe that would work timely enough for her to access my 800,000 to use for herself.

But that last option wouldn't meet the pre-extension two month criteria would it?

Edited by mojaco
clafification

11 minutes ago, mojaco said:

But right now my 800,000 is in a Fixed Deposit and that wouldn't be instantly accessible via ATM card.

You get an ATM card with your fixed deposit account?

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

You get an ATM card with your fixed deposit account?

No

11 hours ago, elviajero said:

That's compassionate.  Throw her out!  She's obviously undesirable!