Foreign Retired Couple: Husband dies, How long can dependent wife stay?

I have my 800K on fixed deposit and have internet access. My wife has her own account.

Since she knows the internet codes she can transfer the money to her account at any time - we just lose the year to date interest on the fixed deposit. This is with Bangkok Bank.

I asked the immigration officer about my wife having her own visa in Chiang Mai in January, whilst she was surprised about why she did understand the reason. Provided my wife has the 800K in her account for 3 (now 2?) months before renewal then she can move from dependant to her own visa immediately.

However, I read somewhere that the new regulations are covering this situation in some way still to be clarified.

As far as a joint account Chiang Mai stopped accepting them a few years ago.

go to immigration and explain the situation ... you shouldn't trust comments on a website to be accurate .. even the replies don't agree with each other ... 

this is a legal matter we are not immigration or lawyers  

take matters into your own hand  and document all interactions with immigration names dates etc and go to the same person on follow up questions/clarifications 

sorry for your loss and luck to you 

10 minutes ago, ifmu said:

go to immigration and explain the situation ... you shouldn't trust comments on a website to be accurate .. even the replies don't agree with each other ... 

this is a legal matter we are not immigration or lawyers  

take matters into your own hand  and document all interactions with immigration names dates etc and go to the same person on follow up questions/clarifications 

sorry for your loss and luck to you 

A lawyer couldn’t help. This question is purely an immigration matter. The wife has no legal right to stay in the country once the husbands stay ends, which it does on death.

This is a very basic question and something that’s happened many times over the years. The only way to avoid the situation is for the husband and wife to have permits to stay in their own right.

On 3/20/2019 at 2:44 PM, Sheryl said:

May be Bank specific, mine is Kasikorn.

i will try asking again using the term Kammasit .

OK, I found out from my Thai friend just exactly what Bangkok Bank does.  They create a new savings account with just one name on the face page like a single owner.  But when you sign the last page of the bank book, it creates an invisible signature which can only be seen under their "black light", which is how they verify your withdrawals at the bank.  A second (or more) people can register using their Tabien Baan and ID Card and also sign that last page of the bank book.  They then have the right AT ANY TIME to take that bank book, their ID Card and Tabien Baan to the bank and withdraw funds from that account.  So safeguarding the Bank Book is all important.  It is not like a death beneficiary.  It almost seems like a fake "single owner" bank book to me, but obviously it is legal.

I somehow doubt Immigration will accept that system, but tomorrow I am going to ask my local Immigration office about this.  I'll report back what they say.

21 minutes ago, mojaco said:

OK, I found out from my Thai friend just exactly what Bangkok Bank does.  They create a new savings account with just one name on the face page like a single owner.  But when you sign the last page of the bank book, it creates an invisible signature which can only be seen under their "black light", which is how they verify your withdrawals at the bank.  A second (or more) people can register using their Tabien Baan and ID Card and also sign that last page of the bank book.  They then have the right AT ANY TIME to take that bank book, their ID Card and Tabien Baan to the bank and withdraw funds from that account.  So safeguarding the Bank Book is all important.  It is not like a death beneficiary.  It almost seems like a fake "single owner" bank book to me, but obviously it is legal.

I somehow doubt Immigration will accept that system, but tomorrow I am going to ask my local Immigration office about this.  I'll report back what they say.

It also sounds like it could only be done with Thais (or foreigners with a pink ID card)