Oncoming pedestrian passing

Teak

I am not sure if this topic has ever come up, but whenever I have to leave the NE and return to CM, I get confused on which side to pass pedestrians on.

Of course there are no set rules, but in more 'traditional' towns Thai people pass oncoming pedestrians on the left, the same as how they drive. I suppose it is just the number of tourists in CM that pass oncoming pedestrians on the right. Do Brit/Aussie etc. walkers pass on the right or left?  I had to actually learn to pass Thai people on the left to avoid confusion. However, that confusion was often met with smiles and wai's.

You walk on the left because, then, whichever side of the road you are on, the person closest to the road will be facing oncoming road traffic.

For example: if you are walking on a footpath at the left-hand side of a road, the road traffic is traveling in the same direction, so, it is coming up behind you. Someone walking towards you, on the other side of the path (your right, his left) will be closer to the road but that's okay because the cars are moving in the opposite direction and he can see what is coming. If he needs to momentarily step onto the road he can easily see when it is safe to do so, whereas you would have to turn around.

In a nutshell, pedestrians should always follow whatever priority applies to the roads in that country. Walk on the left in Thailand, Malaysia, South Africa, Indonesia, UK, Japan, India, Australia, NZ, Ireland etc, switch to the right in Vietnam, mainland Europe, Russia, China etc. In the U.S., don't walk, just drive everywhere ????    

IF YOUR WALKING ON THE ROAD, YOU SHOULD WALK FACING THE ONCOMING TRAFFIC.

PLEASE DO NOT WALK WITH YOUR BACK TO THE TRAFFIC ON YOUR SIDE OF THE ROAD.

Sorry for shouting my error, but as safety is concerned I don't think I should rewrite.

john

Yes , yes yes..........but you will notice that most tourists pass oncoming tourists on the right in CM and Thais have started to also pass on the right to accommodate the tourists. Again, in less touristed areas the Thais pass on comers on the left. Of course, no hard and fast rules especially where space is the prime consideration. I am speaking about on sidewalks, not highways. Shouting excused. ????

Archived