Premchai sentenced to 16 months in jail but gets reprieve in black leopard case

webfact

5 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

It's not like he's going to live much longer anyway is it.

Big clutcher around the corner.

Most people have to appeal whilst they are in jail, he gets bail and the merry go round commences. 

In Thailand, you pay for your crime with either money or jail time or both. If you have heaps of either one, guess you can forfeit some of that. This is thailand. Poor people or people without means go to jail for offenses lesser than that . 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, zaZa9 said:

But of course!

Its important to the Elite to constantly remind themselves that they have been 'chosen' and can never do anything wrong.

THEY have been each given a set of lackys , for whom the wrath of the law only applies to.

'They' are the bosses , but if things go wrong , those taking the orders also take the fall.

Only lowly peasants actually serve 'time'.. it is written in the laws they wrote and manipulate.

Thailand is feudal in practice with patriarchal structure. 

23 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

????????????

Black leopard should thank somchai for early release into reincarnation. Maybe as the future boss of the construction company? And the fat somchai into a leopard in the scheme of life? 

7 minutes ago, Ctkong said:

In Thailand, you pay for your crime with either money or jail time or both. If you have heaps of either one, guess you can forfeit some of that. This is thailand. Poor people or people without means go to jail for offenses lesser than that . 

Telling the truth at the cost of influential people and making them lose face is the biggest crime in Thailand,..... 

Talking about reverse logic

Of course nobody bothered to establish who arranged, financed and lead this little escaped into the wilds of Thailand. That should be the one for the high jump, but no, find some poor bugger and pin it all on him. 

Typical.

5 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"...When asked for a response to the verdict, Premchai only said: “I’m sorry...” 

I think that Thais should enjoy those words, as they are likely the only actual punishment to be received.

We have seen this kind of thing before; there will be appeals. There will be delays on those appeals. The appeals will be appealed. The appeal of the appeal will be appealed. The case will be delayed. the delay of the case will be delayed again. Yet again, there will be more delays. Then, there will be appeals of the delay. Next, the delay granted earlier will be appealed. Then, the appeal of the delay of the appeal, of the delay of the appeal will be delayed. 

Anyone willing to wager that he actually goes to jail?

Anyone?

We have seen it time and time again; the rich always get off, somehow. Why do people think this is different? 

"...He was released on bail as of press time. .."

The quote above is the most important piece of information in the article...

Unfortunately the rich seem to escape justice in most countries.

Also from my observations it’s not uncommon in other countries for first offenders to avoid jail.

2 hours ago, yellowboat said:

The military government and the creepy wealthy will still embrace him, but the average Thai won't.  It is doubtful he will do any real jail time.  

Birds of the same feather flock together ?

11 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Of course nobody bothered to establish who arranged, financed and lead this little escaped into the wilds of Thailand. That should be the one for the high jump, but no, find some poor bugger and pin it all on him. 

Typical.

If the public wants to draw blood, then they just find some fall guy to take the fall. Meanwhile the real culprits post bail and stay out of jail. You don’t get ‘real justice’ if you are rich and connected in Thailand. We have seen anecdotal evidence of these all the time here. Having being in the negative limelight such as this trial was deemed punishment enough for his loss of face.  

I see many comments, but FAIl to see how this "DIRECTLY" impacts everyone.  Who cares??? The crap just keeps going on! You can complain or accept it, but the comments don't matter.  Look how long the threads on TVF are about Brexit and Thai immigrations clamp down,  and after weeks of complaining - Nothing!!!  No Change!  So please educate me, how this news "effects" me and my bank book?  What a waste of time...honey, where's my chang?

6 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"...When asked for a response to the verdict, Premchai only said: “I’m sorry...” 

I think that Thais should enjoy those words, as they are likely the only actual punishment to be received.

We have seen this kind of thing before; there will be appeals. There will be delays on those appeals. The appeals will be appealed. The appeal of the appeal will be appealed. The case will be delayed. the delay of the case will be delayed again. Yet again, there will be more delays. Then, there will be appeals of the delay. Next, the delay granted earlier will be appealed. Then, the appeal of the delay of the appeal, of the delay of the appeal will be delayed. 

Anyone?

We have seen it time and time again; the rich always get off, somehow. Why do people think this is different? 

Probably on his way to the airport for his flight to hide in London.

6 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Anyone?

That it even got to the point of a verdict of guilty is indication enough to satisfy ....or  not?

Maybe it is in some way because although  dragged out it culminated in a correct "guilty" verdict.

That total blame was avoided and diverted to scapegoat individuals is disappointing but not entirely surprising.

There is significance in the verdict. If attention is  given to the outcome of  further outstanding  charges that significance will retain some  value. Not so much as to the relatively minor cost but to the more significant fact that it was/is not  being simply swept away as in the past for infractions of statute law.

Especially so for a Thai citizen who undeniably has a social and financial position usually presumed to  afford immunity from even the question of proceeding to such an outcome.

It may even be that coming on the eve  of  an election it will encourage the  general Thai population to make a more considered vote on policies as promoted.

7 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

The driver gets more time. What a circus.

I understand that, if the driver had not took them there then this would not have happened, I think I live in Thailand to long

7 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Anyone?

You're right but the court of first instance judgement can be appealed to the Court of Appeal and that judgement can be appealed to the Supreme Court.

It seems, if you have the money, you can appeal for no particular reason other than you don't like the verdict! Prosecution can also appeal the verdict and sentence.

He has bail pending first appeal. Time scale - took a couple of years to get this verdict, 3-4 years to go through first appeal, 5-6 years to go through final hearing. Most people lost all interest by then. First convicted offence, suspended sentence, compensation already paid - next case!

Also, note the driver gets a longer sentence. TIT!!

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

I understand that, if the driver had not took them there then this would not have happened, I think I live in Thailand to long

Actually the real culprit, whom it seems they're yet to start the prosecution of, is the petrol pump attendant that last filled their vehicle, thus enabling the vehicle to be driven there. He or she (Burmese most likely) is definitely worth trying to pin the blame on.

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

Yep, typical Thai logic. 

9 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Anyone?

And "the tycoon’s driver, Thanee Thummart, was given two years and 17 months in prison for several offences" (not sure what that means! 3 years and one month perhaps, or 2 years for 1 offence and 17 months for another?) Conspiracy theory - the tycoon shoots the leopard, then when it is discovered says to his driver "This is yours, right?" 

Also the article doesn't mention if the driver or the cook or even his close aide were released on bail?

9 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Most people have to appeal whilst they are in jail, he gets bail and the merry go round commences. 

That is simply not the case, if the defendant can meet the requirements, bail is usually given to appeal.  Completely normal procedure.

8 hours ago, brucec64 said:

"The tycoon’s conviction has eased widespread public concern that the super-rich can get away with wrongdoings. "

No it hasn't. A lot of super-rich get convicted - none actually spend a day in jail, as will be the case here. Even if he did eventually go to jail, within a day he would have a "health issue" and would serve his time in a luxury suite in a private hotel.

Garbage.  Many wealthy defendants have received non-suspended jail sentences.  Prisoners with serious health issues do not get to serve their time in luxury, private hotels! 

7 hours ago, notagain said:

And some of you actually act surprised. !5 years for picking mushrooms now that is justice in thailand.

No one got any jail time for picking mushrooms!  It's ridiculous that so many posters keep regurgitating that nonsense.

6 hours ago, connda said:

So we see who got thrown under the bus for actual 'possessing' the black leopard.  Interesting.  If a group of men rob a bank and have the money in their car, don't they all get charged with possessing the money, or does only one robber get charged?  My guess is they all get charged.  Just saying. 
Wonder what the odds are of him never spending a day in prison?  2 to 1; 5 to 1?  The nobodies will be tossed in the clink asap. 

These people were not all in their car after robbing a bank.  My guess is that your analogy was a million miles away from where it should have been.

"The nobodies will be tossed in the clink asap".

They all got bail also.

4 hours ago, worgeordie said:

It was supposed to be all about the killing of the Black Panther.......but it wasn't.

can only hope he gets a few more years for the Elephant tusks......but the maid

might cop for that.

regards worgeordie

The maid has not been charged with that, his wife has.

4 hours ago, Artisi said:

Typical.

That would be quite accurate if it wasn't for the inconvenient fact that four people have been convicted

3 hours ago, Ctkong said:

If the public wants to draw blood, then they just find some fall guy to take the fall. Meanwhile the real culprits post bail and stay out of jail. You don’t get ‘real justice’ if you are rich and connected in Thailand. We have seen anecdotal evidence of these all the time here. Having being in the negative limelight such as this trial was deemed punishment enough for his loss of face.  

The real culprits in this case have all been convicted!  The real culprits have been given bail also, which is perfectly normal.  There is also empirical evidence of rich Thais being jailed.

3 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

That would be quite accurate if it wasn't for the inconvenient fact that four people have been convicted

Four people were convicted for arranging, financing and leading this illegal hunt? 

5 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

The real culprits in this case have all been convicted!  The real culprits have been given bail also, which is perfectly normal.  There is also empirical evidence of rich Thais being jailed.

Empirical evidence? What are you talking about? Where is it? Who’s published it? Links, please. 

Archived