Germany's Merkel ready to fight to last minute for orderly Brexit

webfact

Germany's Merkel ready to fight to last minute for orderly Brexit

2019-03-19T105930Z_1_LYNXNPEF2I0Q9_RTROPTP_4_GERMANY-POLITICS-GLOBAL-SOLUTIONS-SUMMIT.JPG

FILE PHOTO - German Chancellor Angela Merkel gives a speech at the annual Global Solutions Summit in Berlin, Germany, March 19, 2019. REUTERS/Fabrizio Bensch

BERLIN (Reuters) - German Chancellor Angela Merkel said on Tuesday she would fight for an orderly Brexit right up until Britain's planned departure from the European Union on March 29.

Merkel, asked whether she was ready to offer British Prime Minister Theresa May a new Brexit deal, said she "noted with interest" a ruling by the speaker of parliament that May must change her twice-defeated divorce deal to put it to a third vote.

"Now, we will see what Theresa May says to us, what her wishes are - we will try to respond to those," Merkel added, speaking at a conference in Berlin.

"We will follow very closely how the British government reacts to what was said yesterday in parliament," she added. "As to how deal with the situation, I can't assess how it will be (at an EU summit) on Thursday - there is far too much in flux."

In a move that added to the sense of crisis in London and exasperation in European capitals just days before the March 29 exit date, Speaker John Bercow shocked May's government on Monday by ruling it could not put the same Brexit deal to another vote unless it was substantially different.

"I will fight until the last minute of the time to March 29 for an orderly exit," Merkelsaid. "We haven't got a lot of time for that, but still some days."

Asked if she would be prepared to grant Britain a delay to Brexit, Merkel replied that she wanted to have very good relations with Britain even after Brexit.

(Writing by Paul Carrel; Editing by Michelle Martin)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-03-20

I think she has plenty on her (German) plate to deal with ....... let the UK deal with the issue - they are grown-up enough, built-up and ran the Empire when Germany was still roaming the forests with spears and shields ..... 

49 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

I think she has plenty on her (German) plate to deal with ....... let the UK deal with the issue - they are grown-up enough, built-up and ran the Empire when Germany was still roaming the forests with spears and shields ..... 

Continue to dream… that was in Roman Empire times ...

33 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

So on the one hand you want to be sovereign and in control of your own affairs, and then on the other hand you complain when no one is stopping you from shooting your self in the foot? 

Please quote my entire post, but yes - one of the reasons I decided not to vote was because I trusted brit. politicians even less than eu politicians ☹️.

If uk politicians are allowed to get away with ignoring the referendum result - they will be even worse in the future....

If they are not allowed to 'get away' with ignoring the electorate - they will be a bit more wary in the future????.

A bonus will be that eu politicians will also (hopefully) be forced into re-thinking their expensive, wasteful practises.

I'd hoped they would do this immediately after the uk referendum result, but it didn't happen ☹️.  Which has made clear that those hoping for 'change from within' are "looking for unicorns" (to quote a frequently repeated phrase from the odd remainer on this forum.....)

Well now i want to see GB steps out of the EU. There was more time they had to plan and negotiate. GB wants only every benifit but dont give anything substantial. The other EU countries can deal with the absent of GB as a member of the EU. The british will suffer the mist. So let them go after playing years if a game !!!

6 minutes ago, manhood said:

Well now i want to see GB steps out of the EU. There was more time they had to plan and negotiate. GB wants only every benifit but dont give anything substantial. The other EU countries can deal with the absent of GB as a member of the EU. The british will suffer the mist. So let them go after playing years if a game !!!

“But don’t give anything substantial”

Money,money,money.

Archived