I killed a Dog.

malt25

4 hours ago, malt25 said:

I reluctantly, agreed to pay some compensation

I don't think the matter will gain "national importance", but TIT.

Good of you but never compensation unless the owner of the dog owns the main road.

Keep the peace in the neighbourhood  ????  so you have just experienced an example of a ignorant neighbour thinking they can screw you for more dosh. 

TiT right, the only time I bothered to stop for running over dogs, cats, lizards, snakes, birds hitting the windscreen,  was when hitting a dog it damaged our front spoiler, of coarse nobody knew who the dog belonged to even though it had a collar.  

Believe it or not, you did the responsible thing being so close to where the dog was killed in relationship to your home.  But you will need to decide to stand up for yourself vs. T.I.T. as I've done myself and advise others to do whenever I'm told of these types of event.

Look at it this way, would the same refusal been it a Thai, plus a Thai neighbor or no neighbor would have personally given a shit nor any compensation would even be offered if you had crashed and hurt yourself because the dog wasn't on a leash which is very common.

The refusal and suggestion they are going to call the police basically a threat of extortion on their part!  There are millions of good Thai people who doesn't think this way but you got one " the more patriotic the more stupid = T.I.T. )  with the help of the police if they find the right one extort you for more money they will justify it with " T.I.T. feel good about yourself temple B.S. they throw out to you not being Thai so they can actually feel better about themselves for extorting more money out of you.

You can't go to jail for your situation but you can think because you are a guest scare yourself in believing you would and the money you pay out or might is small just to get rid of the problem. This is exactly the reason you get these type of situations!

You haven't broken any law, it is basically a Civil matter has nothing to do with the police but due to their court system or lack of the police have been put into a situation of trying to solve these little disputes but when the police take the same attitude that extorting money from a foreign you got what you got today! 

I've been in a worse situation or tagged with family/friends to support or help and told police your job is to apply the law not make up stuff to benefit a Thai. I always hit them with " you should be ashamed of yourself took an oath to uphold the law even your late HM several years back before his death during one of his annual Birthday speeches spoke of such behavior of Thais which give Thailand a black eye "  when they go silent you know it is a stalemate!  Time to walk, or settle, or tell them you will let your lawyer in Bangkok take care of the problem and not to contact me again. General Thais don't have the money to contest in Civil Court! 

Basically, your offer should be enough tough it out or pay up that is your choice!

20 minutes ago, malt25 said:

Thanks for most of replies so far. I haven't parted with any cash so far, just offered. I should mention that my next door neighbour who translated for me yesterday after the accident is Immigration police. His parting words as he left for work this morning.... "if anyone comes to talk to you about the dog, have them call me or come & see me tonight."  At this stage, if compensation is a MUST.. I'm thinking of offering to buy them another dog & not offering cash. I feel what they are asking is over the top even for a "good dog".  I'll keep you all posted.

Compensation is not a must and never will be unless the OP keeps up this misplaced krieng jai nonsense. It's a puppy, not a human being that got it's head crushed. Ignore everyone, including the Immigration cop neighbor.

Out of interest, what is this 'over the top' compensation they're seeking? It wasn't mentioned in the OP. I need a laugh.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The reading comprehension of some is not the best when they are so eager to offer criticism and advice.

Op: you read the situation for what it is. I doubt the owner of the dead pup will or can make any more trouble, if he tries turn the tables & ask him for damages his unrestrained dog caused your bike while on public property. 

Not taking sides but did you just say "  eager to offer criticism and advice " then follow with doing exactly what you criticize others for doing?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Spidey said:

If the police do turn up, and I very much doubt that they will, slip them a couple of hundred baht and they'll disappear. Neighbour is just holding out for more cash. Tell him that the dog has damaged your bike and that you will counter claim. Then, he'll disappear.

Agreed. In fact ,i f you get your punch in first , it puts the other party on the back foot from the get go. Don't need to be unpleasant but just let it be known that if anything , you are the victim since the dog was running free on the road.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

" you should be ashamed of yourself took an oath to uphold the law even your late HM several years back before his death during one of his annual Birthday speeches spoke of such behavior of Thais which give Thailand a black eye " 

Of course you do....

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Believe it or not, you did the responsible thing being so close to where the dog was killed in relationship to your home.  But you will need to decide to stand up for yourself vs. T.I.T. as I've done myself and advise others to do whenever I'm told of these types of event.

Look at it this way, would the same refusal been it a Thai, plus a Thai neighbor or no neighbor would have personally given a shit nor any compensation would even be offered if you had crashed and hurt yourself because the dog wasn't on a leash which is very common.

The refusal and suggestion they are going to call the police basically a threat of extortion on their part!  There are millions of good Thai people who doesn't think this way but you got one " the more patriotic the more stupid = T.I.T. )  with the help of the police if they find the right one extort you for more money they will justify it with " T.I.T. feel good about yourself temple B.S. they throw out to you not being Thai so they can actually feel better about themselves for extorting more money out of you.

You can't go to jail for your situation but you can think because you are a guest scare yourself in believing you would and the money you pay out or might is small just to get rid of the problem. This is exactly the reason you get these type of situations!

You haven't broken any law, it is basically a Civil matter has nothing to do with the police but due to their court system or lack of the police have been put into a situation of trying to solve these little disputes but when the police take the same attitude that extorting money from a foreign you got what you got today! 

I've been in a worse situation or tagged with family/friends to support or help and told police your job is to apply the law not make up stuff to benefit a Thai. I always hit them with " you should be ashamed of yourself took an oath to uphold the law even your late HM several years back before his death during one of his annual Birthday speeches spoke of such behavior of Thais which give Thailand a black eye "  when they go silent you know it is a stalemate!  Time to walk, or settle, or tell them you will let your lawyer in Bangkok take care of the problem and not to contact me again. General Thais don't have the money to contest in Civil Court! 

Basically, your offer should be enough tough it out or pay up that is your choice!

I am unfamiliar with TiT definition which a see frequently on post here.

Please inform this ignorant human

8 minutes ago, malt25 said:

So you can have a laugh, 3,000 baht.

I realise compensation isn't a must and I don't feel offering something is nonsense. The sole purpose of offering "something" is purely & simply to keep the peace in our community. I understand the owners of the dog are responsible & are "trying me on" with request for compensation. I like living where I do & if it takes a very modest amount to keep everyone happy so be it. I don't have to agree with the idea of compensation, but sometimes compromise is the least  painful option.

I'm not sure you need any advice, your present approach is pretty sensible and reasonable. If the purpose of the Police is to try to get more money from you then by all means push back, but do so with the intent of agreeing and resolving the matter. Keep the peace and your reputation in the community.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

The reading comprehension of some is not the best when they are so eager to offer criticism and advice.

Op: you read the situation for what it is. I doubt the owner of the dead pup will or can make any more trouble, if he tries turn the tables & ask him for damages his unrestrained dog caused your bike while on public property. 

Sound advice. It may be worth the OP running down to the local motorcycle shop and getting a quote for any damage. The Op sounds like he has no intention of asking for compensation, but just having a written document for the cost of any damage might quieten the dog's owner when produced if they start to get pushy.

OP, it wounds like your neighbor is a decent guy. It's great to have good friends in a foreign country you can rely on to assist in times like this.

Yes, it's the owner's fault for letting the dog run free. This is a common occurrence in Thailand.

Thai people like to rear dogs but doesn't know the responsibilities involved.

Many dogs went around shitting, barking or even mauling kids to death as reported by newspapers.

Don't let them intimidate you, it's not entirely your fault. You didn't kill his dog intentionally.

Edited by EricTh