Phnom Penh climbs six spots in cost of living ranking

geovalin

Phnom Penh moved up six places, reaching the 76th spot, in The Worldwide Cost of Living Survey, a ranking compiled by the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU). Other emerging economy cities like Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok, Manila, and Hanoi also climbed several places in the ranking, while Singapore, Hong Kong and Paris shared the tile of most expensive city in the world.

In a statement, EIU said cities that moved up in the ranking benefited from the high economic growth recorded in 2018. “A big mover is Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia, rising 10 spots to 88, followed by Bangkok, up six points to 41, and Manila (nine points to 92). Vietnam’s Hanoi and Phnom Penh each rose by six places.

“Cities in these countries have benefited from the high economic growth recorded last year, with Vietnam leading with real gross domestic growth of 7.1 percent in 2018,” EIU said. The survey, which compares the price in 133 cities globally, found a degree of convergence across regions among the most expensive locations.

read more https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50588384/phnom-penh-climbs-six-spots-in-cost-of-living-ranking/

1 hour ago, my friend I said:

I came to my usual hotel in Phnom Penh yesterday and the price has increased

by one dollar. So the news is right

I arrived back in PP today from Thailand and prices have nearly tripled in the eight years I was living there. And the place is still a filthy dump. Very poor value here.

9 hours ago, 4737 Carlin said:

I arrived back in PP today from Thailand and prices have nearly tripled in the eight years I was living there. And the place is still a filthy dump. Very poor value here.

I was last in Phnom Penh 10 years ago and a cursory online search shows that beer or guesthouse prices have certainly not tripled. So exactly what has ?

And I was just in PP for a week, for the first time in two years. Prices have not tripled, unless 4737 Carlin is speaking of one thing, namely the cost of "personal services." This I wouldn't know.

However, I did a tour of supermarkets to check on grocery prices compared to Bangkok/Pattaya. Prices at Thai Huot, Lucky and Super Duper were certainly higher for items that very likely came through Thailand. Beer and cigs are still as cheap as two years ago and far cheaper than in Thailand. Even Thai beer (Leo) is cheaper in Cambodia. But drinking water is rather expensive. Nice apartments start at around $400US.  

So, pretty much the same as two years ago.

prices in PP are lower than thailand.

especially booze and cigarettes. accommodation i can say also cheaper. bars are also cheaper and girls are less demanding.

food is more expensive than Thailand though but this was same 13 years ago when i went there first. 

This is BC Cambodia exports most of its food from Thailand.

On 3/20/2019 at 6:24 PM, my friend I said:

I came to my usual hotel in Phnom Penh yesterday and the price has increased

by one dollar. So the news is right

Booked a 4* riverside hotel (rooftop bar and pool) in PP for songkran next month, $30/night inc breakfast for two.

My usual hotel in Siam Reap (24hr bar and swimming pool) is $10 fan, $12 aircon double rooms. 

On 3/21/2019 at 4:58 AM, joecoolfrog said:

I was last in Phnom Penh 10 years ago and a cursory online search shows that beer or guesthouse prices have certainly not tripled. So exactly what has ?

I was there in January, Angkor draft beer 50c/pint, cocktails $1/glass.

Hard not to get falling down drunk every day, starting at breakfast.

Archived