Immigration Officer BKK

I read on here a lot of criticism of Thai Immigration Officers undertaking their roles they have been trained and expected to perform.

Let me share an experience.

Recently I left for a few days, and on departing presented my Passport to Immigration Control.

The Officer had a usual and to be expected serious look, he reviewed my Passport, stamped it, then broadly smiled and said..."Happy Birthday, I hope you have a good day!"

It was my Birthday the next day.

As an Older member here it was much appreciated and showed the wonderful hearts and kind nature he, in representing Thailand, and the Thai people have. 

So please some of the comments here seem to be not representative

22 hours ago, ukrules said:

Lets hope the next time you come they don't deny you entrance for not having enough money despite you waving 50,000 Baht in front of their faces.

This is what they've been doing.

Strange comment.

In 10 year I had never a problem with immigration ..unless I found some rules unlogic … but just following them is the result of not 1 problem with them ...including many Suvharnabumi  in and out trips 

I've only ever faced one issue with Immigration upon arrival in Bangkok - the issue was quickly resolved with the arrival or a Senior Officer. 

I find Immigration officers the world over the same...  Generally Indifferent... and why should they be any different? Sitting at desk stamping people in is mind-numbing work which must strip a persons personality away one bit at a time....   In general they do what they are paid to do. 

That said, there is an alarming number of reports of 'visa runners' (regular / repeat visitors on tourist visa, Visa exempt stamps) being rejected for spurious reasons where the officer has made up a 'no funds' ruling....

Something needs to be done about this, the goal-posts shouldn't be moving and the regulations should be firm, fixed and readily understandable. 

1 hour ago, david555 said:

In 10 year I had never a problem with immigration ..unless I found some rules unlogic … but just following them is the result of not 1 problem with them ...including many Suvharnabumi  in and out trips 

in 30 years never had a problem with immigration. 70, 80, maybe 90 trips in and out of Thailand... knock on wood

Uniform rules should not be subject to the discretion of the officer in Charge.

A lot of 'misunderstandings' could be avoided if ALL immigration officers have ONE voice and ONE policy.

Allow or decline based on facts written down in the immigration laws. 

I read on here a lot of criticism of Thai Immigration Officers undertaking their roles they have been trained and expected to perform.
Let me share an experience.
Recently I left for a few days, and on departing presented my Passport to Immigration Control.
The Officer had a usual and to be expected serious look, he reviewed my Passport, stamped it, then broadly smiled and said..."Happy Birthday, I hope you have a good day!"
It was my Birthday the next day.
As an Older member here it was much appreciated and showed the wonderful hearts and kind nature he, in representing Thailand, and the Thai people have. 
So please some of the comments here seem to be not representative
I'm in and out of Bangkok 3 - 4 times a year for nearly 20 years. Never ever had a problem.
No worse than any immigration I've ever been through as an industrial gypsy over my working life, and to be honest, better than most.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 3/21/2019 at 8:58 AM, tomazbodner said:

Some are good, some are bad, some have good and bad days, some get upset by an idiot in front of you who was totally wrong but argued his case until IO's ceiling blew off and called his supervisor. They are not machines.

It's the first and last impression tourists ( and others ) have of the country, although a soul destroying job they should be polite at all times.

On 3/20/2019 at 7:50 PM, ukrules said:

Lets hope the next time you come they don't deny you entrance for not having enough money despite you waving 50,000 Baht in front of their faces.

never heard of any such case that happened to real legitimate tourists. Have you??

On 3/20/2019 at 7:50 PM, ukrules said:

Yeah, it's terrible. I travel a lot and I've lost count of the number of times I've seen tourists waving 50,000 Baht around, being dragged out of line, denied entry, and sent packing. Must be 50 of them each time, at least. How many have you seen? 

I have seen a couple of threads on here of serial visa abusers being denied entry. If you try to live in Thailand using several back to back tourist visas or visa exempt entries then eventually they will put a stop to it. They are already FAR more lenient on them than they would be in the UK. 

How many genuine tourists have you heard of being denied entry? Or people on long term visas? I haven't heard of one. 

But yeah, turning people away even when waving 50,000 Baht at them......that's what they've been doing. The OP has just been very lucky. 

Ridiculous. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/22/2019 at 2:53 AM, Benroon said:

I wouldn't know how to as I haven't a clue what you're on about ?

Is christ now working at immigration ?

Used to, now just an ordinary civil servant, until resurrection on Easter Sunday????

• 1 month later...

Just came through this afternoon.  Probably the jollyest, smiliest IO I've ever had, very very friendly, very polite, spoke to me in very good English.  Female too.  Would have been a very pleasant first experience for a tourist.

And I used the fingerprint scanners.  On the way out had to do four fingers on right hand, four on left hand, then both thumbs.  I thought that was cumbersome.  But on the way back in only had to do one hand - she told me once you are registered the first time you only need to do one hand and it is much faster.

Also, they had staff wearing "Biometrics" uniforms that were at the terminals helping people (in English) if they had trouble.  It was very well organised, so hats off, I was impressed.

4 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

And I used the fingerprint scanners.  On the way out had to do four fingers on right hand, four on left hand, then both thumbs.  I thought that was cumbersome.  But on the way back in only had to do one hand - she told me once you are registered the first time you only need to do one hand and it is much faster.

Also, they had staff wearing "Biometrics" uniforms that were at the terminals helping people (in English) if they had trouble.  It was very well organised, so hats off, I was impressed.

That's interesting, this is new.

I went to Cambodia for a couple of days and then back to Bangkok  about a month ago and none of the fingerprint stuff was in use. It was there but not used at all.

As my fingerprints were not taken on arrival(visa exempt entry) anyone have any idea on the legal position should I wish to refuse to have my fingerprints taken on leaving.I cannot see they can refuse my exit if I refuse.On entry yes but on exit???

1 hour ago, CeeGee said:

As my fingerprints were not taken on arrival(visa exempt entry) anyone have any idea on the legal position should I wish to refuse to have my fingerprints taken on leaving.I cannot see they can refuse my exit if I refuse.On entry yes but on exit???

Why?

Archived