Yoghurt for flatbreads

james.d

I just fancied some garlic flat breads and found a 3 ingredient recipe calling for all purpose flour, baking powder and full fat natural p!ain yoghurt (or greek yoghurt)

I used Yolida yoghurt and it was a mess.

Would that be because it is a 'live' yoghurt?

Thanks for any advice.

images (1).jpeg

1 minute ago, RJRS1301 said:

The yoghurt in Thailand is very different from what we are used to in Oz, goodness knows what was in the one you used??

It doesn't matter what's in it, Yolida is one of the best natural yogurts available in Thailand.

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Nope, yogurt type wouldn't make any difference.

You probably added too much water or Yogurt.

The dough should be slightly tacky, yours was probably too wet.

A photo of the 'mess' would have been helpful.

Thanks BritManToo for your input, no water was in the recipe only the 3 ingredients. I added the amounts as specified in the recipe as pasted below.

https://www.biggerbolderbaking.com/flatbread-recipe-3-ingredients-easy/

Could it be that my kitchen was too hot as the oven had been on most of the day?

Thanks again.

24 minutes ago, james.d said:

Thanks BritManToo for your input, no water was in the recipe only the 3 ingredients. I added the amounts as specified in the recipe as pasted below.

https://www.biggerbolderbaking.com/flatbread-recipe-3-ingredients-easy/

Could it be that my kitchen was too hot as the oven had been on most of the day?

Thanks again.

Was your marble rolling bench cold ??

5 minutes ago, james.d said:

No it was not, and no way to cool it down as we don't have direct aircon directly into the kitchen.

That could be part the problem, cold rolling board, preferably marble .

14 minutes ago, james.d said:

I have just been reading the Yolida product guide and this is low fat yoghurt when the recipe calls for full fat yoghurt.

Possibly where I went wrong.

It doesn't make any difference, it's just flavouring.

Bread = flour + water. (+ optional rising agent)

It doesn't matter what flavour of water.

On 3/21/2019 at 7:25 AM, Oxx said:

The problem is the recipe.  Too much yoghurt.  Most recipes have equal quantities of flour and yoghurt by weight.  That recipe has 225 g yoghurt to 142 g flour.

Thanks Oxx, l bought more Yolida yoghurt today. You suggest 140ish in grams?

Thanks again.

I'd suggest starting with a little less, then adding extra yoghurt until you get a dough with a good consistency.

Whilst Yolida yoghurt is good, I think it's a little on the thin side - certainly so compared with Greek style yoghurts.

If you want full fat, there is some Australian Greek style yoghurt at Big C or Friendship. 

I have the real thing here, but I import it for my own use. 

Second best to that is the organic yoghurt sold in Friendship in the plastic jars with the red screw on tops.

2 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

If you want full fat, there is some Australian Greek style yoghurt at Big C or Friendship. 

Second best to that is the organic yoghurt sold in Friendship in the plastic jars with the red screw on tops.

Thank you, I live in bkk so no friendship mart. I was afraid of the Greek "style" as I was unsure.  I will endeavour and report back. 

Thanks.

4 hours ago, james.d said:

Thank you, I live in bkk so no friendship mart. I was afraid of the Greek "style" as I was unsure.  I will endeavour and report back. 

Thanks.

Greek yoghurt contains 10% fat, as it is not just yoghurt but also cream. I would guess full fat normal yoghurt would be 4% to 5%.

The Australian 'Greek' should be somewhere between those two.

On 3/20/2019 at 5:06 AM, BritManToo said:

It doesn't matter what's in it, Yolida is one of the best natural yogurts available in Thailand.

The problem with Yolida is It's 0% fat so as soon as you stir it it becomes runny,there are no Greek yoghurts in Thailand only "Greek style".there are Aussie versions in the supermarkets in Pattaya but you really have to be able to read the labels and the Thais have a very irritating habit of putting a sticker (written in Thai  that I can't read )over the list of ingredients and percentages of carbs proteins and sugar.If you find real Greek yogurt it's going to cost.

9 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

I suppose you could strain it in a cheese cloth in the fridge overnight then you would have real Greek yogurt or hangop.

9 hours ago, Oxx said:

I'd suggest starting with a little less, then adding extra yoghurt until you get a dough with a good consistency.

Whilst Yolida yoghurt is good, I think it's a little on the thin side - certainly so compared with Greek style yoghurts.

Yolida 0% fat Greek 10% fat no contest.

That Yolida yoghurt works fine for flatbread. I made some today.

The real problem here is the recipe in which the measurements in cups and grams simply dont match. Personally I just ignore any recipe that does not use grams exclusively as they rarely work properly. Cups are a stupid measurement at best.

Try this recipe: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/easy-yogurt-flatbreads

• 1 month later...

Archived