Thais to go to polls this Sunday

webfact

Thais to go to polls this Sunday

8548dbccf25338c67eabbab3b94a546b83f69cf3.jpg

BANGKOK, 20 March 2019 (NNT) - Eligible voters in Thailand will go to the polls this Sunday, March 24, 2019, to elect members of the House of Representatives. 

There are 51 million eligible voters, out of the population of about 66 million. The previous general election in Thailand took place on July 3, 2011, when the number of eligible voters was 47 million. The period of voting this time is between 8 am and 5 pm. 

In all previous elections since 1997, each Thai voter was provided with two ballots - one for voting constituency MP candidates and another for party list MP candidates. This time a mixed-member apportionment system has been adopted, under which a voter votes only once. By choosing a constituency MP candidate, he or she automatically votes for that candidate’s party. 

The official results of the election will be announced on May 9, 2019. 

The 750-seat National Assembly consists of 500 members of the House of Representatives and 250 senators. Out of the 500 members of the House of Representatives, 350 come from the election on a constituency basis and 150 from party lists of political parties. 

The 250 members of the Senate are appointed and selected among persons having the knowledge, expertise, experience, profession, or characteristics or common interests or working or having worked in varied areas of the society. 

At least 376 votes are needed in the National Assembly to choose a new prime minister.

nnt_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright nnt 2019-03-20

3 minutes ago, webfact said:

The previous general election in Thailand took place on July 3, 2011, when the number of eligible voters was 47 million.

However, it fails to mention that the government DEMOCRATICALLY voted in was ousted by an illegal military coup, which makes a complete mockery of the Thai voting system.

My fall-out shelter is already dug and the beer stocks are chilling nicely.

Someone is going to end up very upset and, knowing how upset Thais behave, it's going to get very messy.

The choices have never been more distinct:  Fast forward party, PTP or those who have chosen to take the high road, and trying to stay relevant and better than a dictator and the green web blankets.  Four chances for bettering Thailand's destiny. 

4 hours ago, soalbundy said:

May 9th !!  why the big delay?

Don't ask leading questions,  that's unless you fancy a visit from you know who. 

Interestingly in Aust. a result is usually pretty well set a couple of hours after the booths close in Western Australia. 

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The 250 members of the Senate are appointed and selected among persons having the knowledge, expertise, experience, profession, or characteristics or common interests or working or having worked in varied areas of the society. 

And we all know what the "common interests" are!

I read the damning article in the Economist today about the forthcoming elections - Interesting to see Thailand now does not have a Parliament building - Its been repossessed by the ultimate Landlord!! Im certainly not a Shinawatra fan but 20 years of the current administration will not only affect thailand but the whole region. 

7 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

However, it fails to mention that the government DEMOCRATICALLY voted in was ousted by an illegal military coup, which makes a complete mockery of the Thai voting system.

Should read "that the government voted in with buying and bullying of voters at the poling stations and before, was ousted with very good reason, after it supported the hand grenade throwing in Lumpini Park and numerous scams ending in the suicide of poor farmers that had trusted it, by an illegal military coup." 

You see some people realise that the Shins are as bad as the current lot!!

5 minutes ago, bizboi said:

I read the damning article in the Economist today about the forthcoming elections - Interesting to see Thailand now does not have a Parliament building - Its been repossessed by the ultimate Landlord!! Im certainly not a Shinawatra fan but 20 years of the current administration will not only affect thailand but the whole region. 

The Economist is a magazine Thaiwrath - hope that clears up the confusion?

52 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Don't ask leading questions,  that's unless you fancy a visit from you know who. 

Interestingly in Aust. a result is usually pretty well set a couple of hours after the booths close in Western Australia. 

I read another article indicating that the unofficial results will be announced about three hours after the polls closed. It’s hard to believe that all of the paper ballots nationwide could be processed so quickly

3 minutes ago, Searat7 said:

I read another article indicating that the unofficial results will be announced about three hours after the polls closed. It’s hard to believe that all of the paper ballots nationwide could be processed so quickly

will find out on the day

3 hours ago, Ossy said:

Someone is going to end up very upset and, knowing how upset Thais behave, it's going to get very messy.

Agreed. It won't end well no matter who wins. I forsee another coup within 2 years if not sooner. The election seems to be a waste of time. Especially because I have to take a train to sisaket so my wife can vote. 

It's a bit odd you have to travel home to vote.

Normally my teachers / professors / lecturers don't make much jokes. But today I almost bite my tongue when I greeted them with the usual "see you next week" and they replied: "I'm not sure if we can see next week, maybe the university is closed for a while, and, by the way, you should stock up with some food at home on the weekend" [emoji44][emoji44][emoji44]

On 3/20/2019 at 3:09 AM, soalbundy said:

May 9th !!  why the big delay?

You already know the answer, right? It takes time to massage the results and then think of all the angles that need to be covered and the responses to be given. 

15 minutes ago, chama said:

You already know the answer, right? It takes time to massage the results and then think of all the angles that need to be covered and the responses to be given. 

CSI LA has been exposing a lot of the corruption and fraud involved in this election so far. I can only imagine the longer they delay announcing their victory the longer there’ll be to expose even more corruption and fraud. 

I can’t see this going well. 

Agreed. It won't end well no matter who wins. I forsee another coup within 2 years if not sooner. The election seems to be a waste of time. Especially because I have to take a train to sisaket so my wife can vote. 

It's a bit odd you have to travel home to vote.
My wife and her whole family voted for PT. I might need a divorce.

Sent from my SM-A730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived