BANGKOK 19 April 2019 09:57
gavin310

Buying a used car in Thailand - How negotiable is the price?

Posted (edited)

We're thinking about buying a used/second-hand car (2017) in Bangkok from one of the larger used car lots ("car tent" as Thai people say). We called to ask about the car and the price and of course they said they can't go lower on the price. I'm assuming that's BS, right? What has been your experience with getting the price lower on second hand cars? How much lower were you able to get the price? I'm a foreigner and I've heard they're less willing to give foreigners any discount, even sometimes asking for higher prices. I'll probably be bringing the wife's entire family, so maybe that will help dilute my foreignness and give us more negotiating ability? Any precautions I should take? 

Edit: Forgot to add that we're also planning on using a 3rd party vehicle inspection service before making any purchase.

Edited by gavin310

I never bought a car in Thailand, but have some experience with motorbikes, and there the situation is about like following, with cars it's probably similar

Most shops are advertising their used bikes on websites like kaidee, and the price there is lower than what they would ask for if you just walked into their shop. The price which you find on the internet is the lowest price they are willing to do (at least i was never able to get this even one baht cheaper). If you walk into their shop and they have price tags on the bikes the price is a bit higher than the price on the internet, and you can negotiate a bit (until you match the online price)

If you should buy from private everything is possible.

Price of cars, new and used in Thailand is ridiculous ! You can get a used brand named quality saloon 2-3 years old in UK /Europe for equivalent of 100,000 baht! In Thailand that wouldn’t get you a low quality 10 yr old saloon

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, wreckingcountry said:

Price of cars, new and used in Thailand is ridiculous ! You can get a used brand named quality saloon 2-3 years old in UK /Europe for equivalent of 100,000 baht! In Thailand that wouldn’t get you a low quality 10 yr old saloon

But you're not in Thailand, so what's your point?

Op when buying privately the price is negotiable....   Imagine yourself selling a car would you be rigid on price if someone gave you a reasonable offer?

When buying from a Tent it may be on behalf of the owner who needs to be contacted, or the tent may own the car and then able to negotiate. 

That said - I would never buy from a Tent in Thailand... I think it would be much better to look for the car you want with a private sale - a 2017 car should still be in Warranty with the manufacturer - just make sure the warranty is transferable to you. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

But you're not in Thailand Europe, so what's your point?

16 hours ago, wreckingcountry said:

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

As ever:

A post that adds absolutely nothing to the OP’s question.

He DOES not live in the UK and wishes to buy a car in Thailand not Liverpool or where ever 

Yes used cars are expensive in Thailand - those of us who actually live here know that.

And yes to the OP’s question- there are heaps of dealers and umpeet thousands of second hand cars on the market - so bargain or walk away - there is another dealer down the road . 

The prices are coming down .

• Like 1

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

But you're not in Thailand, so what's your point?

Op when buying privately the price is negotiable....   Imagine yourself selling a car would you be rigid on price if someone gave you a reasonable offer?

When buying from a Tent it may be on behalf of the owner who needs to be contacted, or the tent may own the car and then able to negotiate. 

That said - I would never buy from a Tent in Thailand... I think it would be much better to look for the car you want with a private sale - a 2017 car should still be in Warranty with the manufacturer - just make sure the warranty is transferable to you. 

Well said. I live in Thailand and bought a used car here. Sorry I didn't read up and learn from those in this forum that did. I should have had the car checked by the Toyota dealership, which woukd have discovered low compression in one cylinder and faulty sensor wiring when the new engine and power train was put in.

I resold it after a year to a friend, who knew the problems the car had. I then bought a new Toyota, a wiser option I may have taken at the outset. 

Goid luck with your buying adventure.

When bargaining I get my Thai Wife to go along and start the process.  That normally brings the price down considerably, as she did when we built our little Resort!  Once the price is agree, I would be tempted to pass the registration number to the Police to check it out as not illegally imported or stolen, also ask for confirmation that it is not still on HP.  Good luck.

If they dont accept your Offer, give your Phonenumber and walk away. I bet, they call you back.

Being a foreigner here for almost 8 years and owned my second pickup after I accidentally crashed the 1st one badly. Claimed, repaired and sold off.

My advice, don't bother looking at 2nd hand used vehicles unless you have ample motoring experience in checking out the "in and out" of the wanted vehicle and engine performance. Don't rely on your in-laws as you're the one eventually behind the steering wheel. 

Many vehicles had bad accidents history like mine, body appearance nice OK but member structures, chassis etc. screwed up.

Get a brand new vehicle with freebies and goodies with 3 years or 100,000 km warranty for a peace of mind. 

• Like 1