Buying a used car in Thailand - How negotiable is the price?

gavin310

We're thinking about buying a used/second-hand car (2017) in Bangkok from one of the larger used car lots ("car tent" as Thai people say). We called to ask about the car and the price and of course they said they can't go lower on the price. I'm assuming that's BS, right? What has been your experience with getting the price lower on second hand cars? How much lower were you able to get the price? I'm a foreigner and I've heard they're less willing to give foreigners any discount, even sometimes asking for higher prices. I'll probably be bringing the wife's entire family, so maybe that will help dilute my foreignness and give us more negotiating ability? Any precautions I should take? 

Edit: Forgot to add that we're also planning on using a 3rd party vehicle inspection service before making any purchase.

Same as anywhere else in the world...you have the cash they have the goods...negotiate or walk away...tell them "this is my final offer" leave your phone number and wait for them to call :thumbsup:

I never bought a car in Thailand, but have some experience with motorbikes, and there the situation is about like following, with cars it's probably similar

Most shops are advertising their used bikes on websites like kaidee, and the price there is lower than what they would ask for if you just walked into their shop. The price which you find on the internet is the lowest price they are willing to do (at least i was never able to get this even one baht cheaper). If you walk into their shop and they have price tags on the bikes the price is a bit higher than the price on the internet, and you can negotiate a bit (until you match the online price)

If you should buy from private everything is possible.

Caveat Emptor!

How mechanically (and nowadays electronically) aware are you?

There's much more to a bargain car than negotiating a price. If you don't understand what you're looking at you could easily get screwed. There's a market just waiting for such folks whom should give more consideration to reducing the liabilities of their purchase.

Don't make an offer until you're sure. Then play hardball.

Overt trust here is an oxymoron of likely outcome.

19 minutes ago, wreckingcountry said:

Price of cars, new and used in Thailand is ridiculous ! You can get a used brand named quality saloon 2-3 years old in UK /Europe for equivalent of 100,000 baht! In Thailand that wouldn’t get you a low quality 10 yr old saloon

But you're not in Thailand, so what's your point?

Op when buying privately the price is negotiable....   Imagine yourself selling a car would you be rigid on price if someone gave you a reasonable offer?

When buying from a Tent it may be on behalf of the owner who needs to be contacted, or the tent may own the car and then able to negotiate. 

That said - I would never buy from a Tent in Thailand... I think it would be much better to look for the car you want with a private sale - a 2017 car should still be in Warranty with the manufacturer - just make sure the warranty is transferable to you. 

16 hours ago, wreckingcountry said:

Price of cars, new and used in Thailand is ridiculous ! You can get a used brand named quality saloon 2-3 years old in UK /Europe for equivalent of 100,000 baht! In Thailand that wouldn’t get you a low quality 10 yr old saloon

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

As ever:

A post that adds absolutely nothing to the OP’s question.

He DOES not live in the UK and wishes to buy a car in Thailand not Liverpool or where ever 

Yes used cars are expensive in Thailand - those of us who actually live here know that.

And yes to the OP’s question- there are heaps of dealers and umpeet thousands of second hand cars on the market - so bargain or walk away - there is another dealer down the road . 

The prices are coming down .

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

But you're not in Thailand, so what's your point?

Op when buying privately the price is negotiable....   Imagine yourself selling a car would you be rigid on price if someone gave you a reasonable offer?

When buying from a Tent it may be on behalf of the owner who needs to be contacted, or the tent may own the car and then able to negotiate. 

That said - I would never buy from a Tent in Thailand... I think it would be much better to look for the car you want with a private sale - a 2017 car should still be in Warranty with the manufacturer - just make sure the warranty is transferable to you. 

Well said. I live in Thailand and bought a used car here. Sorry I didn't read up and learn from those in this forum that did. I should have had the car checked by the Toyota dealership, which woukd have discovered low compression in one cylinder and faulty sensor wiring when the new engine and power train was put in.

I resold it after a year to a friend, who knew the problems the car had. I then bought a new Toyota, a wiser option I may have taken at the outset. 

Goid luck with your buying adventure.

When bargaining I get my Thai Wife to go along and start the process.  That normally brings the price down considerably, as she did when we built our little Resort!  Once the price is agree, I would be tempted to pass the registration number to the Police to check it out as not illegally imported or stolen, also ask for confirmation that it is not still on HP.  Good luck.

Being a foreigner here for almost 8 years and owned my second pickup after I accidentally crashed the 1st one badly. Claimed, repaired and sold off.

My advice, don't bother looking at 2nd hand used vehicles unless you have ample motoring experience in checking out the "in and out" of the wanted vehicle and engine performance. Don't rely on your in-laws as you're the one eventually behind the steering wheel. 

Many vehicles had bad accidents history like mine, body appearance nice OK but member structures, chassis etc. screwed up.

Get a brand new vehicle with freebies and goodies with 3 years or 100,000 km warranty for a peace of mind. 

Went to a tent place with an American mechanic friend. There was absolutely no oil under the vehicle, but he came from under it with his hand covered in oil. They must have been wiping it up every fifteen minutes. He also pointed out based on the engine wear and tear that the mileage had been rolled back.....he even knew the guys who did this for a price. All this was on Phuket.

i was in the car business for some years in California, and based on my experience I wouldn't buy from Thai people. Find the car you are looking for from farang, you are much more likely to find a decent vehicle, and they should have the service records. Sadly most Thai people do not maintain their cars or motorbikes. I think the concept of preventive maintenance doesn't exist in their brains. So do yourself a favor and be smart and buy from a farang.

1 hour ago, Mansell said:

Find the car you are looking for from farang, you are much more likely to find a decent vehicle, and they should have the service records. Sadly most Thai people do not maintain their cars or motorbikes. I think the concept of preventive maintenance doesn't exist in their brains. So do yourself a favor and be smart and buy from a farang.

555 - this old fairy Tale !

From some of the questions asked and answers given - by Farangs on this Forum I hazard a guess that most of them know sweet nuttin' about cars !

Agree the secondhand price for a car is way too high compared to overseas. But it depends on your perspective. Are you buying .....or selling?

I reckon the Thais have it right. Why should any commodity suddenly drop in value by 30% or more simply because it is a year old? Or it has been taken away from the place of purchase.

I read somewhere that Henry Ford was a business genius when it came to selling cars. But he takes second place to the bloke who invented the concept of 'last years model'.

4 hours ago, peterb17 said:

Yes used cars are expensive in Thailand

Because the car was originally bought on credit which adds to the purchase price. Thais try to recoup the credit payment by putting it on their asking price. Simple innit?

2 hours ago, Mansell said:

Went to a tent place with an American mechanic friend. There was absolutely no oil under the vehicle, but he came from under it with his hand covered in oil. They must have been wiping it up every fifteen minutes. He also pointed out based on the engine wear and tear that the mileage had been rolled back.....he even knew the guys who did this for a price. All this was on Phuket.

i was in the car business for some years in California, and based on my experience I wouldn't buy from Thai people. Find the car you are looking for from farang, you are much more likely to find a decent vehicle, and they should have the service records. Sadly most Thai people do not maintain their cars or motorbikes. I think the concept of preventive maintenance doesn't exist in their brains. So do yourself a favor and be smart and buy from a farang.

Pretty much, all new cars are sold by Thais too. I witness many Thais rigorously meeting their service schedules. Some don't and I'm sure that's the same for farangs whom allegedly know better.

BTW. How do you assess engine wear without a strip down?

Don't trust anyone here. Period.

some points to mention :
1. Thais do not maintain their cars, only repair what is really broken. To buy a secondhand car you need to be a mechanic or use one to inspect the car
2. Lots of cars are reposessed by the bank after 2-3 years because of the montly payment are not payed anymore. I think at least 60% of the cars in those secondhandcar shops.
3. Many Thai buy a car on monthly payments (and have to pay the next 6 to 10 years a low amount). These secondhand cardealers add up there commission to teh sales price. To pay cash the full amount should at least give youa discount on the salesprice of 10-20%.
4. If you really want to make sure ou get a good car contact http://siammotorworld.com/ . they can help you buy the right car. I did so 2 years ago, bought a 2011 Isuz, no regrets, no problems. They also sell cars of owners who are expats. 

2 hours ago, alacrity said:

BTW. How do you assess engine wear without a strip down?

Obviuosly not a mechanic ? you can do a compression test, hook up a OBD diagnostic device and do all kinds of tests to determin the state of the engine

Expatauto in Chiang Mai has a good reputation. However, they won't negotiate on price.

I've found the easiest way to negotiate is to decide what you want to pay. Then put the cash on the table in front of the seller. Their choice - they pick it up, or refuse, in which case you pick up the cash and walk away. 9 times out of 10 they will call you back.

11 hours ago, tonboy said:

Obviuosly not a mechanic ? you can do a compression test, hook up a OBD diagnostic device and do all kinds of tests to determin the state of the engine

Compression test ? - how 1960's. After that date those in the know do a cylinder leakdown test

And OBD 2 will only display faults. If all cylinders running and firing, low compression will not show up.

1 hour ago, merlen10002 said:

If you buy from a Car Dealer the Dealer would not want cash, they make a lot more money from finance than cash, same the world over. the more finance, insurance add extras they sell you the more money they make , same all over the world. 

Yes and no. True, dealers like the extra income from finance. However, they also like turnover - the more cars they can sell, the better for them.

I've bought a number of cars. i have yet to meet a dealer when I was offering cash that said they would not accept it because they were only able to finance.

On 3/23/2019 at 7:42 PM, canthai55 said:

555 - this old fairy Tale !

From some of the questions asked and answers given - by Farangs on this Forum I hazard a guess that most of them know sweet nuttin' about cars !

You don't have to be a mechanic to grasp the concept of maintenance. 

The point he made should be self- evident to anybody familiar with the Thai culture of 'tomorrow'. 

Buying from a 2nd hand dealer.

To get the price down.  Explain your in the market for a car every 2 years so set your stall out and explain if he does you a good deal on a good conditioned car. You will come back for more.

Look at the dealers stock if he has a mush mash of decent to crap. See that as a negative.

If he has lots of minions see that as a negative.

We moved away from our dealer but I'd likely go back as he has sold us 2 motors and one that he took back 2 years later at just 57k less the price paid 2 years earlier.

The price on the sign for our motor was 529k we got it down to 475k. Ex company vehicle for channel 5 tv.

Archived