BANGKOK 19 August 2019 20:50
webfact

Australia cuts annual immigrant cap 15 percent, puts key cities off-limits to some

14 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Hanson P will tell you plenty of jobs, people are just too lazy to work

Around where I am, they import people to work because locals won't, or would fail a drug test.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sonos99 said:

The current NZ govt has already put restrictions on immigration. They have also restricted ownership of property for non NZ citizens and permanent residents. 

Where were the water restrictions imposed "because too many people arrived" ? 

The only shortages I was aware of were in Gisborne which was caused by a broken pipe and in Oamaru when a water purifying plant was overwhelmed by a large inflow of water due to heavy rain. Auckland also had a problem in 2017 but again this was because of dirty water from too much rain. 

https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/381311/water-restrictions-in-place-throughout-the-country

https://www.tauranga.govt.nz/council/water-services/water-supply/saving-water

9 hours ago, samran said:

And at the other end of the spectrum you have Japan with a negative birth rate, negligible immigration and the economy effectively stagnant for the past 25 years.

The governtment  spending to build ‘make work’ infrastructure projects has sent the their debt to GDP ratio sky rocketing and that is just so they can tread water economically. 

There are no easy solutions. 

Very easy solution. Stop breeding more people than there are jobs for.

Australia and every other like minded country should immediately stop immigration and allow only guest workers like Saudi does.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Bludgers who won't work because of too generous dole,  stupidly high minimum wage that cripples small business.... Want me to go on? 

Dole - very high penalties if working part time whilst looking for work, in fact so harsh that people take on cash in hand work thereby inaccurate unemployment rates.. Stupidly high minimum wage - with the cost of living in Oz you cannot be serious.

8 hours ago, ParadiseLost said:

...these bloody foreigners coming into our cities. That is the domain of us native Australians! 

Today's Australian government reminds me of the South African government back in 1980, when similar speeches were made, only thinly disguising the racist nature of similar actions, designed to entrench white supremacist values.

The recent attack displays quite clearly how warped a view of reality one white Australian developed growing up, in a country which used to be measured by the warmth and openness of the people, not the dollar value of their houses in Sydney.

Hopefully one day the world will sit up and ask why a country as large as this can have such draconian immigration laws - there are only 25 million people.

And when the old argument about no water arises, what about Dubai? If BHP wasn't sucking billions out of the economy perhaps water schemes could change the face of Australia forever.

Not likely though as then it would not be white Anglo-Saxon nirvana anymore.

LOL. Australia is a large country only in mass. The habitable areas are only on the coast and will not support a large population.

Dubai???????

Thou jest, assuredly. A tiny country with loads of oil to desalinate sea water.

7 hours ago, emptypockets said:

To support an ageing population. 

Except they won't. There are not enough jobs now, and in the future there will be even less due to the rapidly expanding automation of jobs.

In the past things like biscuits were packed by hand- how many people are packing biscuits now?

All that will happen is that there will be even more old people to be supported by less money than now.

If some jobs have to be filled by overseas workers, it should be on the basis of guest worker. Arrive, do the job, when job ends, or retire- go home. That's how I was employed in Saudi. The Saudis ain't stupid.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ParadiseLost said:

Today's Australian government reminds me of the South African government back in 1980, when similar speeches were made, only thinly disguising the racist nature of similar actions, designed to entrench white supremacist values.

Do you even know what's going on is SA now? Ending apartheid was a death wish for them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

No mention of water shortages caused by immigrants in either of these articles. Water usage increases caused by the weather. Maybe climate change. 

It would seem you are making facts up to fit your anti-immigration agenda. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Very easy solution. Stop breeding more people than there are jobs for.

Australia and every other like minded country should immediately stop immigration and allow only guest workers like Saudi does.

Yeah, good luck trying to time that one properly.  No one knows what the jobs of the future are.

As for guest workers. Not a good idea. The chest thumpers here on TV love to criticize foreigners for not fitting in.

I disagree with contention that they don’t  particularly if you run a pretty good skills based migration system that Australia, NZ and Canada do. People move, contribute and build their lives. 

All a guest worker system does is create an underclass of disenfranchised workers, chained to an employer. Exploitation then becomes rife.There is a reason the Saudis like that model I guess - it’s an effective apartheid (and probably why it is attractive to the chest thumpers). 

You think you have a problem of people not fitting in now, then create a guest worker programme -take away the incentive for any integration - and see how well that works out. 

Edited by samran

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Except they won't. There are not enough jobs now, and in the future there will be even less due to the rapidly expanding automation of jobs.

In the past things like biscuits were packed by hand- how many people are packing biscuits now?

All that will happen is that there will be even more old people to be supported by less money than now.

If some jobs have to be filled by overseas workers, it should be on the basis of guest worker. Arrive, do the job, when job ends, or retire- go home. That's how I was employed in Saudi. The Saudis ain't stupid.

The Saudi economy shrank in real terms from the early 80’s to the early 2000’s.

Their economy is a one trick pony in terms of product and service diversity, where there is a chashed up, but seriously under skilled native workforce. 

Edited by samran

7 minutes ago, samran said:

Yeah, good luck trying to time that one properly.  No one knows what the jobs of the future are.

As for guest workers. Not a good idea. The chest thumpers here on TV love to criticize foreigners for not fitting in.

I disagree with contention that they don’t  particularly if you run a pretty good skills based migration system that Australia, NZ and Canada do. People move, contribute and build their lives. 

All a guest worker system does is create an underclass of disenfranchised workers, chained to an employer. Exploitation then becomes rife.There is a reason the Saudis like that model I guess - it’s an effective apartheid (and probably why it is attractive to the chest thumpers). 

You think you have a problem of people not fitting in now, then create a guest worker programme -take away the incentive for any integration - and see how well that works out. 

I was a guest worker, and certainly wasn't exploited.

Geeze  Aussie politicians come up with some stupid idea's .......

So they are trying to force asian immigrants to live out the back of bourke.

I've heard some ridiculous suggestions in my time, and this one has to be up there with the best.

Why not just curb the intake to zero for a few years and let the unemployment vs jobs ratio even up more.  It's not rocket science.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I was a guest worker, and certainly wasn't exploited.

Yeah, you were white. My wife worked in the Emirates. There is a heirarchy there and as far as foreigners go, you and her were at the top of it.

Read up on the exploitation  that’s goes on for workers from the subcontinent in the Gulf. 

Edited by samran

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, samran said:

Yeah, you were white. My wife worked in the Emirates. There is a heirarchy there and as far as foreigners go, you and her were at the top of it.

Read up on the exploration that’s goes on for workers from the subcontinent in the Gulf. 

Nah, to be at the top I'd have had to be American.

The Filipinas were ranked below me pay wise, but earned enough to be more wealthy in their own country than I was in mine.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

3 hours ago, simple1 said:

Stupidly high minimum wage - with the cost of living in Oz you cannot be serious.

Newstart Allowance (dole) = $7/hour; minimum wage = $19/hour.  If people prefer the dole to working you'd have to question their sanity

• Like 1