Thanathorn’s blind trust move comes under criticisms

webfact

Thanathorn’s blind trust move comes under criticisms

Thanathorn.jpg

Future Forward party leader Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit has wanted voters to believe that he is setting a new ethical standard for politicians by putting all his personal assets into a “blind trust” to avoid possible conflicts of interest in the event he assumes political power.

But his claim of his “unprecedented” move has been quickly disputed both by his critics and academics.

Srisuwan Janya, a self-styled political crusader, filed a complaint with the Election Commission yesterday to demand an investigation into what he described as Thanathorn’s attempt to mislead people.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thanathorns-blind-trust-move-comes-under-criticisms/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-03-20

8 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

He tries to do something right and some idiot complains to the EC?  pathetic!

It's a step in the right direction (though it would have even better if the investments were sold) but it's not enough because there is no transparency involved.

As Korn Chatikavanij has pointed out, nobody knows what assets he owns and checks and balances cannot be done. If PM he would be able to influence policy to benefit himself, and nobody would be the wiser under a blind trust arrangement.

If the trustees were completely independent - in a way that is quite hard to imagine in Thailand, that could be a way forward I suppose.

Korn is not honest with his opinion and is trying to score political points. Lots of politicians have their asset managed but not in a blind trust. 

Basically Korn has never been honest right from the days of the financial crisis when he managed sales of distressed assets. He carry too much baggages which is reason why he didn’t go far in politics. 

The guy hasn't been elected yet, and presently holds no political clout.  Proposing that he will "blind trust" his investment portfolio, is an ethical move.  How far can one go, to instill pre-election confidence, that he's "on the up and up".    Sell all assets prior to being elected, or holding political office????  I don't think so...    

15 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Korn is not honest with his opinion and is trying to score political points. Lots of politicians have their asset managed but not in a blind trust. 

Basically Korn has never been honest right from the days of the financial crisis when he managed sales of distressed assets. He carry too much baggages which is reason why he didn’t go far in politics. 

Disagree. He was an investment banker with a good reputation, and selling distressed assets after a financial crisis is exactly what investment bankers do. It's an essential way of cleaning out the system and though sometimes painful prepares the way for economic recovery.

Why he hasn't gone far in politics is a separate issue. He was seen as being an accomplished and internationally respected Finance Minister under Abhisit. Other than that he hasn't had much of a chance after the Democrats' defeat and the Junta power grab. Some Thais on the inside will tell you he isn't that well connected with the power brokers (good for him I say) and perhaps he's seen as too patrician/foreign influenced. Some will say he hasn't got the charisma to get on well with farmers and lower paid types - I'm not sure about the last bit. He's got a pleasing and friendly personality.

What might hold him back is his tribal loyalties to the old guard. Great politicians have to be prepared to upset their traditional followers and forge surprising alliances.

4 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Disagree. He was an investment banker with a good reputation, and selling distressed assets after a financial crisis is exactly what investment bankers do. It's an essential way of cleaning out the system and though sometimes painful prepares the way for economic recovery.

Why he hasn't gone far in politics is a separate issue. He was seen as being an accomplished and internationally respected Finance Minister under Abhisit. Other than that he hasn't had much of a chance after the Democrats' defeat and the Junta power grab. Some Thais on the inside will tell you he isn't that well connected with the power brokers (good for him I say) and perhaps he's seen as too patrician/foreign influenced. Some will say he hasn't got the charisma to get on well with farmers and lower paid types - I'm not sure about the last bit. He's got a pleasing and friendly personality.

What might hold him back is his tribal loyalties to the old guard. Great politicians have to be prepared to upset their traditional followers and forge surprising alliances.

Guess we have a difference in opinion. My sources have him benefitted from the low valuation of the fire sale assets. His family business in used cars had allegations of foul play. This is just my opinion that he didn’t want to be politics as he feared being exposed. In any case, you could be right too from your sources. Will leave it as that mate. 

41 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:
51 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Guess we have a difference in opinion. My sources have him benefitted from the low valuation of the fire sale assets. His family business in used cars had allegations of foul play. This is just my opinion that he didn’t want to be politics as he feared being exposed. In any case, you could be right too from your sources. Will leave it as that mate. 

Whilst valuing comment re Korn's credentials, I believe the main issue is that my would-be hero, Thanathorn, does appear to be more accident-prone than he ought to be, given his academic and business success and the problems all appear to be over his claims to have done (or to have been) this, that or the other. Like many millions, whose support he has now garnered, I do hope that these regular punch-ups won't be his ultimate undoing. Here, in Isan, the village is expressing warm support for his breath-of-fresh-air charisma and many must be wincing when they hear of these complaints and threats of EC involvement.

Keep your nose clean, Thanathorn, and, next week, you might be in a position you never dreamed of.

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

I suspect almost none of them are generally honest. If you and I are honest, we would admit that honesty is not an important part of Thai (or Chinese) culture.

Also, as for baggage, again, we understand Thai (and Chinese) culture to share the requirement for concensus building through clan allegiances and guanxi and all that nonsense. No Thai politician can exists outside this cultural requirement, so every single one has too much baggage.

The ONLY difference is clan membership. 

2 hours ago, CanuckThai said:

The guy hasn't been elected yet, and presently holds no political clout.  Proposing that he will "blind trust" his investment portfolio, is an ethical move.  How far can one go, to instill pre-election confidence, that he's "on the up and up".    Sell all assets prior to being elected, or holding political office????  I don't think so...    

Subject his family to an independent OUTSIDE (as in foreign) audit of his assets. Prove a clean business dealing record. 

That is the kind of commitment Thailand needs. Anything short of something so aggressive is meaninglessness in a country almost 100% corrupt. 

If these people love their country as much as they claim to, and, if they are as educated as they claim to be, they know Thailand needs radical change. Radical is not putting assets in a blind trust (especially if administered by Thais). 

Archived