BANGKOK 19 April 2019 00:13
BigBlueHH

How "bad" is the offseason for businesses ?

Considering open a food / eatery business in Hua Hin and trying to understand the impact of the off season in cities in Thailand other then Bangkok. Appreciate any input 

Posted (edited)

I Live in PKK 80 km south of Hua Hin from end of songkhran till late November town is more or less dead as snowbirds leave  a few Thai at weekend but thats it

Edited by Albert Postlethwaite
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BigBlueHH said:

towards on the high end of the scale is Carlo Italian Restaurant. Then many much more casual pizza pasta places near the Hilton tourist area.

I know where to get a great Spaghetti carbonara out of a cart for 60 baht. 

I really think you should come here in June and look around in the evenings. it can be slow. 

• Like 2

towards on the high end of the scale is Carlo Italian Restaurant. Then many much more casual pizza pasta places near the Hilton tourist area.

I know where to get a great Spaghetti carbonara out of a cart for 60 baht. 

I really think you should come here in June and look around in the evenings. it can be slow. 

Yup food here is a tough business. I can get this ฿60 carbonara topped with bacon sitting down as an appetizer before the salmon steak arrives. IMG_5907.jpg
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Chiang Mai is definitely affected by off-season. The less palatable restaurants struggle. My caddie was saying her income has halved since two months ago.

I did a big loop through Issan in low season some years ago. I was parking my car at 500-room hotels which only had 2 - 3 rooms occupied. I doubt the Chinese are making up that kind of shortfall.

Funny, I stayed in a Resort in Lopburi that was huge, brand new, gorgeous, cheap...and empty. Sometime I wonder how these places make any money. Like the Indian Restraunts on Sukky...they are like morgues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigBlueHH said:

Considering open a food / eatery business in Hua Hin and trying to understand the impact of the off season in cities in Thailand

In our village the only restaurants that make any money are the ones that live there and have no rent to pay.

There are too many of them anyway IMO.

There doesn't seem to be a quiet season this year so far for us, bloody foreigners everywhere.  😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigBlueHH said:

trying to understand the impact of the off season in cities in Thailand other then Bangkok.

if I had to quantify it I would say Hua Hin eateries experience a 60-70% decrease in business between May 1 until Oct 1.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, KMartinHandyman said:

I can get this ฿60 carbonara topped with bacon sitting down as an appetizer before the salmon steak arrives.

is that HH? where?

31 minutes ago, KMartinHandyman said:

I can get this ฿60 carbonara topped with bacon sitting down as an appetizer before the salmon steak arrives.

The carbonara looks good, I wouldnt eat much of the Frankensalmon here

• Haha 1