Bus flips in Nakhon Ratchasima, 31 hurt

webfact

Bus flips in Nakhon Ratchasima, 31 hurt

By Prasit Tangprasert 
The Nation

54517915_2177752839220729_5382352440098029568_n_1553049830.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Thirty-one passengers were injured, two critically, when a Nong Khai-Rayong bus overturned in Nakhon Ratchasima early Wednesday morning.

Police and rescue workers were summoned at 2.40am to the scene on Mitraparp Highway in Ban Don Tabaeng, Noen Sung district.

The blue-and-white air-conditioned bus was carrying 41 passengers. 

Police suspect that the driver, whose name was withheld, dozed off behind the wheel.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30366151

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-03-20

29 minutes ago, KMartinHandyman said:

Dozed off as compared to fell asleep a few days ago killing the hostess. I’ll take it!

Add that to the one who lost his head.

All at about 2.30am near Korat. I am beginning to see a pattern here.

Where are the Thai ghost experts telling us the highway is haunted by the ghosts of previous bus accidents?

Another dozy driver,the bus company better start giving the drivers

a tab of yaba before they set off to keep them awake,if i was ever

to take a bus trip,i would sit behind the driver,just to make sure he

does not nod off, one thing for sure i would not fall asleep.

regards worgeordie

Are there camera's that monitors the drivers eye's that send an alarm when the driver is starting to get tired, log books  wouldn't work as the drivers could have been awake for hours before there shift and tired before they start work

47 minutes ago, sandrabbit said:

this is sadly becoming a daily occurrence, I'm beginning to become immune to these reports now. is there any chance a government will act to increase road safety in this country?

You are aware who at the helm is in charge for road safety, are you?

2 hours ago, sandrabbit said:

this is sadly becoming a daily occurrence, I'm beginning to become immune to these reports now. is there any chance a government will act to increase road safety in this country?

None....

will wait for tomorrows news of another coach driver falling asleep !!

Korat Province has certainly had its fair share of fatal bus crashes recently - mostly in the early hours.

Many years ago when I traveled by bus they stopped at service areas where you could stretch your legs and get a snack (provided as part of the fare). This meant the drivers could also get a rest. Nowadays the buses I have used provide a prepacked snack and drink to your seat so no need to stop anymore. No wonder the drivers drop off to sleep.

I travel Nong Khai - Rayong regularly but it is precisely for that reason, why I fly between Udon and Utapao. Arguably a little more expensive, considerably faster and safer and obviously better controlled. Have not heard of an Air Asia pilot who doze off while on duty ... 

i will try to stay off the roads for the next year.  

currently living above 7-11 and there is a bar next door.  

if i do travel, i'll hire 4 cars to drive in front, behind, and next to me on both sides.  better safe than sorry

I caught a bus from Roi Et province to Bangkok yesterday morning that went via Korat. We stopped for food not far after Korat, included in the VIP fare. Also included were personal movies c/w English sub titles.

As an aside, the bus was checked over by 3 officials from the Land Transport department prior to departure. All in preparation for Songkram, no doubt.

I've taken one bus trip - from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai on the Green Line VIP bus.

It was fine, but during the day.

I would definitely not take a bus ride once it's dark - it seems easier for the driver to fall asleep.

Perhaps in the future if I want to risk my life it will be by renting a large car/SUV for that kind of trip, rather than a bus ride.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2019 at 1:44 PM, Emdog said:

Do Thai transport companies go out of their way to choose inept, untrained, homicidal drivers? Seems that way

Are you asking if they employ the average Thai driver ? Sadly the answer is yes????

My Soon-To-Be Mrs is on her way back from Bangkok on a bus. She left at 07.30 Saturday morning and I still haven't had confirmation that she's home.

I had a couple of messages saying "Still on bus". But nothing since about 16.00 Saturday. Time now is about 02.40 Sunday morning. She has been to Bangkok a few times on the bus and always keeps me updated.

I am absolutely terrified of getting bad news ????

Archived