BANGKOK 19 April 2019 00:04

All of a sudden the front break stopped working, Yamaha says over 20,000bht for replacement break pump thingy, nice mechanic says "do you need ABS on front as can by pass the pump cost 1000bht" awesome let's do that!! never ever used ABS so that is a good cheap fix.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

what bike?

nmax 20000... i have been reluctant on yamaha aerox and nmax i like the bikes but some of the build quality looks cheap to me and higher tech items like abs expensive to repair... it isn't under warranty?  how many km?

nmax 20000... i have been reluctant on yamaha aerox and nmax i like the bikes but some of the build quality looks cheap to me and higher tech items like abs expensive to repair... it isn't under warranty?  how many km?
50,000kms 3 1/2 yrs old

52 minutes ago, Badrabbit said:

by pass the pump cost 1000bht" awesome let's do that!! never ever used ABS so that is a good cheap fix.

Sounds expensive to me but if your happy go for it.

I always thought ABS braking stood for Always Being Stupid.

Posted (edited)

20k THB seems expensive even if you were to actually replace physically broken master cylinder (thing on the handlebar), brake disc (round thing at the wheel), and brake caliper (thing that goes around the brake disc).

Unless there are phsical cracks in the parts or you physically hit something at force to break the parts, you will usually put a seal kit in the master cyclinder and the caliper. The brake dic can be machined if warped or replaced if bent or undersized.

ABS has bracketry and sensors. If the electronics fail on the ABS, the probably will just not work under brake lock conditions.

I'd be getting a second opinion. Or better still, post up the written quote here so we can see what the mechanic intends to do.

Edited by Farangwithaplan
typo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Badrabbit said:

"do you need ABS on front as can by pass the pump cost 1000bht"

May be even cheaper...

Remove the ABS fuse?

Total cost - nada. Zilch.

Did U ever flush the brake fluid ? Do you engage ABS on a regular basis ?

20k THB seems expensive even if you were to actually replace physically broken master cylinder (thing on the handlebar), brake disc (round thing at the wheel), and brake caliper (thing that goes around the brake disc).

Unless there are phsical cracks in the parts or you physically hit something at force to break the parts, you will usually put a seal kit in the master cyclinder and the caliper. The brake dic can be machined if warped or replaced if bent or undersized.

ABS has bracketry and sensors. If the electronics fail on the ABS, the probably will just not work under brake lock conditions.

I'd be getting a second opinion. Or better still, post up the written quote here so we can see what the mechanic intends to do.

Awesome and where do you think all this will be done in a 4th world country where hitting the tire with a big spanner indicates a good tire pressure?

• Like 1

Sounds expensive to me but if your happy go for it.
I always thought ABS braking stood for Always Being Stupid.
Yep if the ABS does come on you are driving like a lunatic unless someone pulls out in front of you then maybe just maybe its justified!

Posted (edited)

If you do not cycle the ABS the brake fluid never gets replaced with fresh.

50K km and you have never flushed the system ? Not surprised that it failed.

Every 2 years complete flush, bleed is required.

And the ABS on my bikes gets cycled every ride to avoid this problem.

Brake fluid is hygroscopic - it pulls water right out of the air.

Probably what the problem is - corrosion in the system from the water in it.

Edited by canthai55
  • Like 2