Combo method enforcement under the new rules specific office monitoring topic

I, along with many others, have been WARNING people to NOT rely on the combination method for retirement extensions going forward.

Not to gloat because I would have strongly preferred to be wrong, but it appears these warnings had merit.

The purpose of this thread is to actually MONITOR information and reports about acceptance of combo method applications at the various offices all around Thailand. Keep in mind that some people attempting combo method applications will be able to get embassy letters and some will not. 

If your office IS accepting combo method applications please specify about having the letter or not and the specific rules for the bank portion of combination.

I will add, even if you are hearing encouraging reports about your specific office, under the current historically shifting situation with retirement extension rules and enforcement here, I would STILL suggest switching to a full bank account 800K if you still have time and can manage that. The full 800K applications are clearly the safest option for those that can't show 65K monthly transfers going back a full year. Combo people by definition do not have as much as 65K in income. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

JOMTIEN office of CHONBURI immigration --

I have heard from credible sources multiple reports that Jomtien is telling people they will not accept any combination applications -- PERIOD.

If you are preparing for a future combo application at Jomtien, you should visit yourself to confirm this and/or prepare for an 800K baht application or whatever you may need to do based on your timing and circumstances (including planning to exit Thailand).

Related troubling report but I am also hearing reports that Jomtien will not accept any full income applications (65K monthly) unless you can show a record going back a full 12 months. They are not following the suggestion for "leniency" on that matter as the policy is new.

Jomtien of course is among the most high volume offices in Thailand for retirement extensions.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I am not surprised, given the vague and confusing wording of the police order, that some offices are refusing to accept combo method. Nobody is sure how it is supposed to be implemented with respect to the bank portion and differing interpretations abound.

Very typical government official response to this sort of uncertainty: avoid doing anything for fear of being wrong.

I suspect this, more than the time involved, is the main factor.

Well, it could be a "combination" of the two reasons, and others. 

I'm sure not every expat reads forums religiously, and good on them if they don't, but I do think it's fair to say that there have been a number of members (including you) that have been basically warning people for months aleady NOT to reply on combination method applications, and suggesting that at least for now, you'd be wise to go with the 800K method. 

So for people that have read forums, you had already been warned. So nobody that has been following this sheit storm fallout from the historically major immigration changes really should be surprised. But I get it, not everyone follows these things closely. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, bigginhill said:

The woman I spoke to, with regards to the 6 month portion, said  half could be spent. I had 300,000  deposited. 

thanks. Half right away, or half only after 3 months?

Combo applications are much more complex and time consuming

5 minutes at the most, not complicated at all if you know what you are looking for.

I agree though Jomtien is a very busy and stressful office to work at, same as Transport office for driving licences, them lot are stressed out

When I ran down to open my BKK direct deposit account it wasn't understanding the direct deposit account through the BKK bank NY can only used for pensions like Social Security ant Military, etc. Since mine us both if above I'm not totally sure, but believe from what they told me is that you can transfer other money, but into a regular bank a count. The phone app they set up to notify you if a deposit to your direct deposit account indicates  from SSA or DFAS (military pension) direct deposit and both show up as a foreign transfer.

21 hours ago, Jingthing said:

JOMTIEN office of CHONBURI immigration --

I have heard from credible sources multiple reports that Jomtien is telling people they will not accept any combination applications -- PERIOD.

If you are preparing for a future combo application at Jomtien, you should visit yourself to confirm this and/or prepare for an 800K baht application or whatever you may need to do based on your timing and circumstances (including planning to exit Thailand).

Related troubling report but I am also hearing reports that Jomtien will not accept any full income applications (65K monthly) unless you can show a record going back a full 12 months. They are not following the suggestion for "leniency" on that matter as the policy is new.

Jomtien of course is among the most high volume offices in Thailand for retirement extensions.

time to pay an agent X amount and make it all go away.  this is rediculous but understandable since the banks could make more money on the 800K deposited.  Thailand should just charge say 15000 once a year for an extension like some countries do. and this would be for a multi-entry extension.  very simple.  

There’s nothing confusing about the police order at all it’s actually pretty black and white.  I’ve seen this same person posting all sorts of stuff in here about immigration rules, especially over the past few days.  It’s just someone looking for attention is all.  As soon as I saw who it was I didn’t even bother read the OP’s post it would have been just a few minutes of my life that I won’t get back.  This person is just looking for more attention.  I don’t use the combo method anyway so I don’t care.  Some of these posts you really have to take with a grain of salt.  

If you did want to use the combo method under the new rules especially without an embassy letter you would well understand that the specific enforcement criteria for such applications is indeed complex and very unclear. 

Instead you as someone without a clue as to the issues with this come on here to flame me for trying to help the community of expats that would like to use the combo method by encouraging people to post office specific reports.

In my opinion you should be ashamed of yourself. Posts such as your are the opposite of helpful. They are intentionally destructive.

Regarding Jomtien and the information that I shared indicating they wouldn't accept any combo applications I will repeat that those expats using that office that still hope to do a combo application there visit that office to confirm or refute that.

It's no use preparing for an application method that won't work. We do know for a fact that full 800k applications will work in every office and the rules for those though changed are indeed very clear.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

time to pay an agent X amount and make it all go away.  this is rediculous but understandable since the banks could make more money on the 800K deposited.  Thailand should just charge say 15000 once a year for an extension like some countries do. and this would be for a multi-entry extension.  very simple.  
Normally I am anti agent and I've always felt that way. The reason is even though it will usually work you put yourself in a potentially legally vulnerable situation by participating in corruption.

Also even more so under the new more extreme seasoning rules you likely will need to continue using agents indefinitely year after year. So if that agent game ever does fully fall apart well at the very least you'd probably need to start over.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Normally I am anti agent and I've always felt that way. The reason is even though it will usually work you put yourself in a potentially legally vulnerable situation by participating in corruption.

Also even more so under the new more extreme seasoning rules you likely will need to continue using agents indefinitely year after year. So if that agent game ever does fully fall apart well at the very least you'd probably need to start over.

I haven't used the agency route but from what I have seen if the agent is connected and established I see very little risk for the participant.

3 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

All the rest of us -- including several members who are experts on Visa issues -- do not find the wording re the combo method to be clear and "black and white". Not at all.

There are at least 3 different interpretations bandied about, even Mods and members expert in Visa matters cannot agree/have differing ionterpretations, and neither do the various Imm Offices.

Thank you Sheryl. As you probably know you are very well respected as a member and mod here (don't blush). I am much more controversial, I get that, and if you really read the post you were replying to it was from someone that knows NOTHING about these issues, but was only posting to flame me personally. But your confirmation that the issues I talk about with the combo method are very seriously real is welcome and helpful.

Cheers. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

I haven't used the agency route but from what I have seen if the agent is connected and established I see very little risk for the participant.

That's debatable. 
We have heard some horror stories about using agents over the years.

Such as using fake stamps. Of course that is massively illegal and such agents are subject to arrest. 

Using a non-local office messing people up for address reports.

People using agents feeling that from now on, they need to always continue to use agents. 

I think the latter will probably be more so under the new super seasoning rules. 

So next year what if your agent is out to lunch? 

It's not worry free but I'm not going to diss people that use them, especially after the recent wave of new rules. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

That's debatable. 
We have heard some horror stories about using agents over the years.

And there have been reports in the past of people, innocently or fully

understanding what they were doing, being arrested and presumably deported, for having fake stamps in their passports.

once you become dependent on an agent ( and his accomplices) you put yourself at risk of being "discovered" with some irregularity in future.

16 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

And there have been reports in the past of people, innocently or fully

understanding what they were doing, being arrested and presumably deported, for having fake stamps in their passports.

once you become dependent on an agent ( and his accomplices) you put yourself at risk of being "discovered" with some irregularity in future.

Well, there is no way that I can quantify the risk but personally I have avoided using agents like the plague. In my case, I think the reason is the way I was raised. If there is a way for me to do things legally and by the book especially living in a foreign country, I will do so. I am fully aware that using agents when you aren't meeting the financial requirements may not be technically "illegal" (that's debatable) but you can't deny by doing so you are participating in corruption. I just would rather not. Many do and I hope it always works out for you, but I'd rather avoid having any such concerns. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2