Wood turning products

Taffyfromflint

I am considering wood turning as a hobby. So far I have located the necessary equipment but am finding difficulty in sourcing finishing products e.g. sanding sealer, linseed oil, etc etc. Does anyone know of an outlet for these products in Thailand, Chiang Mai preferred.

I've found Regular Linseed oil in town, but boiled Linseed oil, forget it.  I've been looking for 7 years and haven't found it here yet. There is a craft store just down from the Irish Pub that has linseed oil in stock.  Some music stores also carry it.

I went to Suksawad for the first time today Mar 26. They are kitting out a new store and showroom (the plywood centre) lots of sanding sealers, shellac and lacquer products etc plus now selling air nail guns and brad nailers. Prices ok, just turn the tins around on the shelf to see the english version of contents.

Most finishes are poor quality glossy <deleted>. If you like that , fine. Linseed oil....no longer is boiled linseed oil available. It says 'boiled' but not true. A cobalt drier is added to compare with boiled linseed oil. There is either raw linseed oil or chemically enhanced linseed oil to promote hardening. Linseed is not a great naturally hardening oil. 'Teak Oil' is most often 70% kerosene, and 30 % linseed oil with the cobalt hardener. Yes, can cause cancer. The best product to use is 100%, food grade, Tung oil. Tung nut oil is one of the best natural hardening oils. Walnut oil is in the same category, but harder to find. It must be stated 100% pure tung oil or you get the same petroleum product with a dash of tung oil for marketing. 

Where to find ?  Tung trees are grown in China and the nut is pressed for the oil. It should be available in Bangkok. I buy it in 45 gallon drums in China.

Try Thorzen, Thailand, Bangkok (Krung Thep Maha Nakhon), Watthana,790 / 16 Sukhumvit Road (Thonglor)

Regards,  Island Teak

Archived