Not a pickup..

We are thinking that we don't really need another pick up, as we have an old Nissan which we use to shift stuff if needed. 

So now looking for a small/medium sized car that is safe, economical and reliable. Happy to buy low mileage 2nd hand if just a year or 2 old. What experience do people have with cars like the Honda Jazz or Toyota Yaris, Suzuki Swift etc ? I liked the extra height that the big pick ups provide but can't really justify having 2 and prefer a little runaround and a safe vehicle for longer journeys.

Thoughts anyone ??

Have owned a Mazda 2 for over a year...it has all the features you are looking for...I am well pleased...great comfortable economic ride...3 year warranty...good power for passing on long trips...seats 4 comfortably...large trunk with fold down rear seats when more storage is essential...

Depends on what you use the car for, if it's just for short trips and mostly for two people it will be fine.

If i were to buy a car i would buy one class bigger, something like a Honda City or the equivalent from other brands. This offers some more space that also four people can sit quite comfortably and you can carry more stuff if it should be necessary and costs only like 10% more.

15 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Have owned a Mazda 2 for over a year...it has all the features you are looking for...I am well pleased...great comfortable economic ride...3 year warranty...good power for passing on long trips...seats 4 comfortably...large trunk with fold down rear seats when more storage is essential...

If only they were better looking.

1 minute ago, Puchaiyank said:

You looking at solid dependable transportation...not a puzzy wagon...

Not sure that's a good reason to make it ugly. IMO the Jazz, Yaris, and Swift are all nicer looking.

We have a swift and just got a the crv awd diesel. It would be really hard to buy another ecocar after we sell the swift. The swift is ok for short trips and negotiating small roads with lots of other traffic. The ride quality is not so good. Wife also complains about the lack of power when you need it (and she's quite a sedate driver. I would get something like a base model cx-3 or even a second-hand cx-5...larger, heavier and more stable than an ecocar, and may hold up better in an accident. They will cope with longer high speed drives better also. 

1 hour ago, alien365 said:

What about the MG ZS? It has a 1.5l engine, a nice ride height, it's affordable and IMO it looks good too. 

If you like relying on the Chinese reputation for reliability, a good choice.

Vios, Jazz or Mazda 2. Yaris, Almera, Brio and Swift all have CVT transmissions. The jury is still out on how reliable CVT is. Personally, I prefer the Mazda 2 because it's priced reasonably, and handles very well.

If you want a bit more space than the cars listed above we have a Toyota Avanza. Can take the 3rd row of seats out if you want a small station wagon or can carry half the village elders (7 seater +) when there is a funeral.

No problems after 50000km, except the engine is noisy at 100km/h compared to a pickup.

I currently drive a Mitsubishi Mirage (not recommended). Have driven the Honda Jazz and Toyota Yaris. Honda Jazz is the car for me. Unfortunately most people think the same and they tend to be overpriced second hand. Would buy one tomorrow if I could find one at the right price.

On 3/20/2019 at 8:15 PM, jackdd said:

Depends on what you use the car for, if it's just for short trips and mostly for two people it will be fine.

If i were to buy a car i would buy one class bigger, something like a Honda City or the equivalent from other brands. This offers some more space that also four people can sit quite comfortably and you can carry more stuff if it should be necessary and costs only like 10% more.

I would agree: Honda City is a very nice car. We own one and we use it - nomen est omen - for drives into the city of Chiang Mai, but have also been as far as the shores of Mekong in the Chiang Saen area. Plenty of space, and good engine power. Easy to drive, and cheap maintenance at Honda Paradise Sansai.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

If you like relying on the Chinese reputation for reliability, a good choice.

It depends how long you want the car for. If you will drive it for 20years as your primary car then it could come in to play. If you buy as a second car, use for 5-10 years and sell it to get a newer model I don't see it as being an issue.

A couple of my friends have one and they love it so far.  My current car is a CVT and I didn't listen to the scare stories about that technology. 6years on and it works like a charm.

36 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Already said either the Jazz, Yaris or Swift are better looking IMO.

A Swift is better looking? Looks like a housebrick to me. Frankly, I can't see too much difference in looks between a Yaris and a Mazda.

Anyway, I liked this Mazda so much I bought it.

IMG20190225115541.jpg

Have a MAZDA 2 and it is fine. But I think the Jazz is a better car, more solid feeling etc. And personally the wife's sister has a Suzuki Ciaz which I think is a great car, solid, roomy, plenty of pep, comfortable, and overall larger than the Mazda 2. I would suggest driving one of these and not knock it out as a possible choice before then. When I get a new car this will be the one for me.

1 minute ago, Mansell said:

Have a MAZDA 2 and it is fine. But I think the Jazz is a better car, more solid feeling etc. And personally the wife's sister has a Suzuki Ciaz which I think is a great car, solid, roomy, plenty of pep, comfortable, and overall larger than the Mazda 2. I would suggest driving one of these and not knock it out as a possible choice before then. When I get a new car this will be the one for me.

Larger doesn't necessarily mean better. On that basis, the Nissan Almera is the leader.

However, if you read Australian motoring critics, the Nissan CVT transmission is notorious. The Suzuki CVT transmission is noted for being herky-jerky as they age.

True, the Jazz has a 1.5 L motor against the 1.3 L of the Mazda 2. That's reflected in the pricing. Honda charges a premium for all its products - 4 wheels or 2 - in Thailand.

1 hour ago, riche60 said:

mazda 2 D by far better than the rest in every way 

Personal choice. I much preferred the Suzuki Swift which I bought 4 years ago and still own. Not so good for moving golf clubs around. Then again golf impedes a nice walk to the pub.

1 hour ago, alacrity said:

Personal choice. I much preferred the Suzuki Swift which I bought 4 years ago and still own. Not so good for moving golf clubs around. Then again golf impedes a nice walk to the pub.

I don't think there are too many golf clubs in Thailand that don't have a bar attached.

bought a vios new and traded it in last year(after 4 years), it was an excellent car, comfortable to drive, enough power to overtake easily and great fuel economy, only traded it in because we needed something we could carry stuff around in the back of for our land or I would have hung on to it. I am not small and it was a good fit for me behind the wheel too

4 hours ago, AlexRich said:

You've answered your own question.

Nothing wrong with Thai produced cars, they are exported all over the world. Only complaint is you don't always get the bells and whistles the export models have.

Archived