BANGKOK 18 April 2019 23:18

We are thinking that we don't really need another pick up, as we have an old Nissan which we use to shift stuff if needed. 

So now looking for a small/medium sized car that is safe, economical and reliable. Happy to buy low mileage 2nd hand if just a year or 2 old. What experience do people have with cars like the Honda Jazz or Toyota Yaris, Suzuki Swift etc ? I liked the extra height that the big pick ups provide but can't really justify having 2 and prefer a little runaround and a safe vehicle for longer journeys.

Thoughts anyone ??

15 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Have owned a Mazda 2 for over a year...it has all the features you are looking for...I am well pleased...great comfortable economic ride...3 year warranty...good power for passing on long trips...seats 4 comfortably...large trunk with fold down rear seats when more storage is essential...

If only they were better looking.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

You looking at solid dependable transportation...not a puzzy wagon...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Puchaiyank said:

You looking at solid dependable transportation...not a puzzy wagon...

Not sure that's a good reason to make it ugly. IMO the Jazz, Yaris, and Swift are all nicer looking.

Edited by giddyup

We have a swift and just got a the crv awd diesel. It would be really hard to buy another ecocar after we sell the swift. The swift is ok for short trips and negotiating small roads with lots of other traffic. The ride quality is not so good. Wife also complains about the lack of power when you need it (and she's quite a sedate driver. I would get something like a base model cx-3 or even a second-hand cx-5...larger, heavier and more stable than an ecocar, and may hold up better in an accident. They will cope with longer high speed drives better also. 

• Like 1

What about the MG ZS? It has a 1.5l engine, a nice ride height, it's affordable and IMO it looks good too. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Mazda 2.. My second one. Bought the Diesel. Plenty of power space and fuel economy. Brilliant car. Seats down in the back and I can get my push bike in the back.

Edited by Chicken George
Typo
  • Like 2

On 3/21/2019 at 10:13 AM, giddyup said:

What do you think is a good-looking car for the OP?

1 hour ago, alien365 said:

What about the MG ZS? It has a 1.5l engine, a nice ride height, it's affordable and IMO it looks good too. 

If you like relying on the Chinese reputation for reliability, a good choice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Vios, Jazz or Mazda 2. Yaris, Almera, Brio and Swift all have CVT transmissions. The jury is still out on how reliable CVT is. Personally, I prefer the Mazda 2 because it's priced reasonably, and handles very well.

If you want a bit more space than the cars listed above we have a Toyota Avanza. Can take the 3rd row of seats out if you want a small station wagon or can carry half the village elders (7 seater +) when there is a funeral.

No problems after 50000km, except the engine is noisy at 100km/h compared to a pickup.