Smoke keeps coming

kevvy

After arriving home the afternoon I seen a small amount of smoke coming only I kilometer from our house .

After it turned to evening the fire was out of control .

I also seen this video from 2014 .Does it ever stop and read on the Chiang Mai forum about they burn the Forrest for mushrooms

The year I moved here (2005?) there were large fires all through the area, particularly along the road between your house and the village, I remember driving through them one night.

They were off to the west, over the ridge as well, and lit the night sky up with red smoke clouds and sparks, I've never seen anything as bad since.

Despite all the meter readings that seem to show the contrary, I honestly do not think Chiang Mai is anywhere near as bad as it was 3 or 4 years ago. I remember that it was so bad that my eyes were sore and watering, this year has never had that effect. They were burning the forest and roasdside grass all the way up to Samoeng the other year, but they do it at night so no one notices.

I feel sorry for anyone with young kids in this though, me being a smoker, well, I can't really complain, but kids have no choice in this.

That have a dozen or so of those fires burning at any one time 10 km either direction up and down the valley I live in.  We got two evenings of rain and a couple of decent days of air, but it's starting to choke up again.  Wife has been having coughing fits so off to see the doctor tomorrow.  This crap really sucks!

15 minutes ago, connda said:

That have a dozen or so of those fires burning at any one time 10 km either direction up and down the valley I live in.  We got two evenings of rain and a couple of decent days of air, but it's starting to choke up again.  Wife has been having coughing fits so off to see the doctor tomorrow.  This crap really sucks!

Now I'm confused.

Formaleins (I'm all right Jack) says he "honestly" thinks it's OK, but your choking wife (along with many others) and the meters say otherwise.

I think I'll go with Mrs C and the scientific analysis, rather than "everything is fine in my living room so I don't see any problem".

My sympathies to Mrs C.

Could be fixed by making anyone harvesting or selling this variety of mushroom face heavy fines,. Perhaps a reward for dobbing in those that still do it. The mushrooms grow at the start of the first rains. Small and easily identifiable.

16 minutes ago, johnmcc6 said:

Could be fixed by making anyone harvesting or selling this variety of mushroom face heavy fines,. Perhaps a reward for dobbing in those that still do it. The mushrooms grow at the start of the first rains. Small and easily identifiable.

I went out with the family last year and I couldn't tell them from the ground.

Remember, AP was visible in mid January and gotten increasingly worse peaking in the first week of March...seems to be hovering between 150-170....last few days.... 

who cares if it is #1 or #4....to be even having a AP discussion where every day can either be unhealthy to dangerous is a tragic reflection of what has gone so wrong with the gov, the polluters,  the affected people and this culture’s way of life....

AP is unacceptable period b/c it is 100% preventable and one of the top public health killers/illnessses in the world....

if one wants to remain 3rd world status, continue to use ancient fire trucks to spray the air and pass out masks that are totally ineffective against PM 2.5....

at least educate the public about what is a mask vs what is a N-95 respirator (minimum level of filtering protection)...90% of PPE protection out there that I have seen is ineffective against the current hazard and has no certification or approval by any respected authorizing body....

9 hours ago, sceadugenga said:

The year I moved here (2005?) there were large fires all through the area, particularly along the road between your house and the village, I remember driving through them one night.

They were off to the west, over the ridge as well, and lit the night sky up with red smoke clouds and sparks, I've never seen anything as bad since.

Sceadugenga

I was not here then, this is the worst I have seen in in this area. My wife is feeling it this year with a sore throat and coughing .Going to the hospital tomorrow.

Archived