How do i calculate the exchange rate when withdrawing from ATM?

So if i'm withdrawing from an ATM in a foreign country and i'm trying to figure out how much i'll be charged (minus all the fees), do i look at the THB > USD or the USD > THB exchange rate (using my bank app)?

For example i want to withdraw THB 1000. And 1 THB = USD 0.033. But 1 USD = THB 34 (which makes it 29.411 when you change it to THB>USD) . So in this example, If i calculate the 1000 according to the exchange rate of THB>USD, i am charged 33. But if i calculate the 1000 according to the exchange rate of USD>THB, i am charged 34.

Which one do i go with?

btw, i did call the bank. They are giving me contradicting information. One says USD>THB. I call back later to double check, the other tells me THB>USD. And they are both sure!

I don't understand your math. 

The present exchange rate is 31.7 baht per 1 USD and atms are going to clip a little off of that, plus ding you 200 baht per transaction.

If you have the right debit card, your home bank will reimburse the 200 baht fee.

If you don't use a bank that refunds atm fees globally, then it's a better deal in Thailand to exchange cash.

Rarely can you use a cc in Thailand without paying 3% juice or more.

1 minute ago, Happystance said:

I don't understand your math. 

The present exchange rate is 31.7 baht per 1 USD and atms are going to clip a little off of that, plus ding you 200 baht per transaction.

If you have the right debit card, your home bank will reimburse the 200 baht fee.

If you don't use a bank that refunds atm fees globally, then it's a better deal in Thailand to exchange cash.

Rarely can you use a cc in Thailand without paying 3% juice or more.

Thank you Happystance, but thats not what i was asking

Assuming that the "foreign" bank is in Thailand, and that your ATM card is from a US bank, it will be a USD>THB transaction. In other words, you will be using USD to buy THB.

Your own US bank will set the buying rate. There may be charges applied by your own bank and by the Thai ATM.

1 minute ago, chickenslegs said:

Assuming that the "foreign" bank is in Thailand, and that your ATM card is from a US bank, it will be a USD>THB transaction. In other words, you will be using USD to buy THB.

Your own US bank will set the buying rate. There may be charges applied by your own bank and by the Thai ATM.

Even though i am withdrawing in baht?

The rates are set by visa / mastercard, here the calculators:

https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/consumers/get-support/convert-currency.html

https://usa.visa.com/support/consumer/travel-support/exchange-rate-calculator.html

The Thai bank ATM adds 220THB on top of whatever you withdraw and your foreign bank might charge you a foreign currency fee (called "bank fee" in the calculator).

Just now, jackdd said:

The rates are set by visa / mastercard, here the calculators:

https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/consumers/get-support/convert-currency.html

https://usa.visa.com/support/consumer/travel-support/exchange-rate-calculator.html

The Thai bank ATM adds 220THB on top of whatever you withdraw and your foreign bank might charge you a foreign currency fee (called "bank fee" in the calculator).

I am using a debit card

15 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Your US bank will be using your USD to buy the THB that you withdraw from the ATM.

The Thai bank will charge you for the convenience of using their ATM.

BEAUTIFUL! Exactly what i've been trying to find out for 2 days!! Why in the world was i not able to get this information in the accumulated 3+ hours ive been talking to the bank?!?

Is this standard, with all banks and all countries?

2 minutes ago, Elizway said:

BEAUTIFUL! Exactly what i've been trying to find out for 2 days!! Why in the world was i not able to get this information in the accumulated 3+ hours ive been talking to the bank?!?

Bank charges will vary - but, if you are withdrawing from a USD bank account, you will always be using USD to buy the local currency.

6 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Bank charges will vary - but, if you are withdrawing from a USD bank account, you will always be using USD to buy the local currency.

And here is an online agent. This is what he said:

Ok, thanks for clarifying, this would depend if you select to be charged in dollars or the local currency. If you select dollars the conversion would be from usd to the local currency. If you select the local currency the rate would be local currency to USD. It really depends what the ATM offers you and what you select.

Is he saying the same thing you are? Am i missing something? Or is it false info?

14 minutes ago, Elizway said:

Why does this matter?

Why would you spend 3+ hours talking to a bank about it??

Confusing ..

All that matters to me is the exchange rate I end up with, and it takes less than a minute to calculate...

9 minutes ago, Elizway said:

And here is an online agent. This is whay he said:

Ok, thanks for clarifying, this would depend if you select to be charged in dollars or the local currency. If you select dollars the conversion would be from usd to the local currency. If you select the local currency the rate would be local currency to USD. It really depends what the ATM offers you and what you select.

Is he saying the same thing you are? Am i missing something? Or is it false info?

As far as I am aware ATM's in Thailand will dispense THB only - no choice.

For card purchases in Thailand , you may be offered the choice to pay in THB or your own currency. Most people recommend that you pay in THB to avoid excessive charges and poor exchange rates applied by the store.

Just now, chickenslegs said:

As far as I am aware ATM's in Thailand will dispense THB only - no choice.

For card purchases in Thailand , you may be offered the choice to pay in THB or your own currency. Most people recommend that you pay in THB to avoid excessive charges and low exchange rates applied by the store.

I get that. But according to what he's saying, if i select to withdraw in Thai baht (which happens to be the only choice i have), i'd be charged TBH>USD. At least that's how i understood it when he said:

" If you select the local currency the rate would be local currency to USD."

So i'm wondering...Is he saying the same thing you are? Am i missing something? Or is it false info?

1 hour ago, Elizway said:

I get that. But according to what he's saying, if i select to withdraw in Thai baht (which happens to be the only choice i have), i'd be charged TBH>USD. At least that's how i understood it when he said:

" If you select the local currency the rate would be local currency to USD."

So i'm wondering...Is he saying the same thing you are? Am i missing something? Or is it false info?

Online agent is an idiot. If you have a US$ issued card(credit or debit), as you have been informed, you are using US$ to purchase Thai Baht via Mastercard/VISA. Use jackdd's links for the calculation.

If you select US$ you will be using US$ to purchase Thai baht at at rate decided by a local institution(invariably at a much poorer rate than Mastercard/VISA). In actual fact it will be akin to using US$ to purchase Thai baht to purchase US$.

2 hours ago, Happystance said:

Why does this matter?

Why would you spend 3+ hours talking to a bank about it??

Confusing ..

All that matters to me is the exchange rate I end up with, and it takes less than a minute to calculate...

And even then there is nothing you can do about it... ????

Archived