To day – my 1 year retirement extension experience using 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank

BTW, another thing I don't think we know yet regarding CW Immigration is whether, for monthly foreign bank deposits, they're going to insist that the bank letter and any other related documentation must be for the same day as when you apply, which is their current practice with regular bank deposit letters.

Logic would suggest that since there's no real bank balance issue involved in the monthly foreign deposits method, that CW Immigration would have no particular reason to insist the letter/documents be the same day as your application. But until I hear some report that deals with the timing issue directly for monthly deposits regarding CW, I'm not going to make any assumptions one way or the other on that point.

I have three questions before applying for a non-O followed by extension based on marriage and hence with no experience of these matters:

1  Does anyone know if Kasikorn CW branch will also write a letter for a 400k deposit at another branch?

2  On another post the OP said that when getting his annual renewal using the 800k he was told he needed to have a transaction on the day of the application.  Does anyone know if CW has the same requirement?  Would the easiest be to go to CW, deposit an amount, update the book and then ask for the letter?

3  Many TV members seem to use Krungsri, does it offer better service or better rates than the other banks?

Thank you.

11 hours ago, thaibook said:

1  Does anyone know if Kasikorn CW branch will also write a letter for a 400k deposit at another branch?

2  On another post the OP said that when getting his annual renewal using the 800k he was told he needed to have a transaction on the day of the application.  Does anyone know if CW has the same requirement?  Would the easiest be to go to CW, deposit an amount, update the book and then ask for the letter?

1. Yes

2. The bank book has to be updated on the date of at application at CW. Same for the letter from the bank but they will accept one from the day before. The branches at CW are aware of what is needed. The will do the letter, bank book update and copies of the bank book.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

2. The bank book has to be updated on the date of at application at CW. Same for the letter from the bank but they will accept one from the day before. The branches at CW are aware of what is needed. The will do the letter, bank book update and copies of the bank book.

Well, that cleared up a question in my brain...that is the date required for the bank book (passbook) and bank letter....two separate documents. 

I've do my retirement extension of stay at CW and use the Bt800K deposit method....used this bank deposit method for around 8 to 9 years.  I've always gotten the bank letter from the Bangkok Bank branch or Krungsri Bank branch in the CW immigration branch, depending on which bank account I was using for my extension over the years.  When getting the letter the bank also updated the bank book so both documents always had the same/today's date.  Both immigration and the bank branches open their doors at 8:30am...I first get my bank letter and update passbook then go up to immigration.

However, if I decided to switch to the monthly income method or maybe combo method which might force me to go to my "home branch" in the middle of high rise Bangkok versus in northern Bangkok at CW, to get the letter, maybe Credit Advices, etc.  I thought to myself by the time I finish with my home bank branch in central Bangkok and drive to CW in northern Bangkok it would probably be around lunch time...only 3 or so hours left in immigration's work day....might not even be given a queue number or told to come back tomorrow.

So it's good that the bank "letter" could be dated the day before, but get the bank book updated the next day at the CW branch when submitting your application...update within the branch and/or at a passbook update machine.

4 hours ago, Pib said:

So it's good that the bank "letter" could be dated the day before, but get the bank book updated the next day at the CW branch when submitting your application...update within the branch and/or at a passbook update machine.

I think, Joe's answer above re the timing of the bank letters was in response to a question about the traditional 800K baht bank deposits method.

AFAIK, we haven't heard anything from CW or people applying there what their timeframes are going to be re the different monthly foreign deposit bank letters and credit advice documentation. And more specifically, just what kind of documents CW will and won't accept to document the monthly foreign transfers.

I think Joe believes the standard (I own the account) bank letter along with passbook copies showing foreign transfers will be sufficient. But I think there also have been reports of Immigration offices specifically wanting the type of foreign transfer summary letter you posted before along with credit advice copies.

I have no idea where CW is going to be on that, in terms of reviewing monthly foreign deposit applications.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

On 3/20/2019 at 10:55 PM, DrJack54 said:

So to summarize you needed to show activity on day of application, which is the norm. You were asked to bring bankbook with you and bank letter, on your next 90 day report?

Would have been good if you had asked that if you where  travelling outside los at that time what is required. 

Thanks so much for the report and details. I'm printing it for my extension to stay coming in April. 

I got the same story on same-day bank letter from my Thayang IO but no mention of showing same day activity. Now I'll also do the 100B thing before I go to the bank desk to get the letter. Bangkok Bank charged the same fee but it was done immediately. 

You also reminded me to get copies of each document, just in case. 

Thanks again so much. 

For the past 10 years, including Nov last year, for my extension (marriage) for the B400, 000 I have always requested the bank letter confirming the amount the day before and updated my fixed deposit book at the same time and present this along with the stack of paperwork required at 8.30 am the following morning, never had a problem with Phitsanulok IO. 

Maybe it's just my charm and good looks ????

My second 90 day is due in few weeks but I will be out of the country, so will see what happens when the next 90 is due. 

• Haha 1

Perhaps I can help clarifying about the date(s) on the bank letter. I went in CW for my retirement extension today. For the 800K option, I went to Krungsri downstairs to get the letter, which entailed paying 100 bath service fees for the letter + 100 bath deposit to create a transaction for the day in my bank book.

When I returned to pick up the letter half hour later, I noticed that the balance stated is as of YESTERDAY, whereas the date on the letter is of TODAY. I checked with the teller and she said it's okay, it's done like that for everyone, "they will accept it!" (she meant the officers, as far as my Thai comprehension goes.)

And surely they did.

Very informative and most grateful to know.   Would appreciate thoughts on my situation.

I obtained my Retirement extension for this year and it runs from 1 February 2019 to 31 January 2020.

Following obtaining the extension I returned to UK on 10th January 2019 for medical treatment and came back to Thailand on 21st March 2019.

I did NOT have a Thai bank account prior to going to the UK as I was unable to get any bank to open one for me- they all wanted a work permit and at 80 plus I was NOT in a position to show one.  For interest I transferred money as required to my Thai wife's account.

On returning to Thailand went to a branch of  Bangkok Bank and to my total surprise they opened a savings account there and then, no questions asked whereas before I was met by complete refusal.

I will go the 65k route for my extension in 2020 and the first deposit shown in the new account is the 25th March 2019- shown as a FTT deposit.

My question is:  When I go to Immigration in late January 2020 the account will show deposits monthly around the 25th each months  for 11 months and not 12.  Note I was not in Thailand for the complete month of  February 2019.

Any thoughts whether this will be accepted?

If there is something I have not included please say.

Many thanks

On 3/21/2019 at 11:54 AM, JackThompson said:

They can refuse a visa-exempt, but that doesn't mean you did any thing illegal. 

The 2x rule only applies at land-borders.  There is no official limit by air. 

Sometimes they have said 180 days (a lie), and now told you 90-days (another lie).  There is no legal limit on how long you can be in the country as a tourist.  The only rules have to do with not working, having money to support yourself, and not breaking laws (real ones).

This is typical of the law-breaking IOs at the Bangkok Airports, who also deny people with valid Tourist Visas entry based on lies.  But, be aware, "visa-exempt" entries are at immigration's discretion, so it's even more risky to enter on those. 

You can get 2x visa-exempts per calendar-year at law-abiding land-borders (all except Poipet/Aranya) by simply following the rules (cash + flight-out + rental/hotel booking).  The Malaysian entry-points also demand a night out, but that comports with the "no out/in run" policy for visa-exempts.

If you plan to spend more than occasional time in Thailand as a tourist, you will need to get Tourist Visas, and then enter only at law-abiding land-borders, or risk being denied-entry.  One workaround is flying to Penang, entering by train, then flying on from Hat Yai.  If going to your passport-country regularly, a METV is a good choice to eliminate needing to shop around for Tourist Visas.

Hi thanks for the information , i now need some more information .

I arrived in thailand on the 5th dec 2018 with a 60 day visa i got in england i had a return plane ticket date of 3rd june 2019 from bangkok when my 60 day visa was finishing i got a 30 day extension which i paid at jomtien 1,900 baht , when that was finishing on 4th march i went on holiday to singapore for 2 nights arrived back to suvrummami airport on 6th march after an interview was given a free 30 day stamp that was finishing on 4th april then i got a 30 day extension at jomtien 1900 baht till 4th may now i have to leave thailand on 4th may am i allowed to go to phom phen thai embassey and get a 60 day visa to enter back into thailand till my return flight to uk on 3rd june ? or if i fly back into thailand without a visa will the airport immigration give me another free 30 day visa ? when i asked this question to jomtien immigration they said yes i can get one BUT THEY SAID THE AIRPORT IMMIGRATION THEY DONT KNOW WHAT THEY WILL DO , i said to IMO at jomtien i thought jomtien immigration was for immigration of all of thailand IMO said yes we are BUT WE DONT KNOW WHAT THE AIRPORT IMMIGRATION WILL DO !  THIS SITUATION SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED by international law immigration at suvummami airport are breaking international law , i now know where the saying of SAME SAME BUT DIFFERENT COMES FROM !! please could someone give me an answer to my question as jomtien immigration dont know the answer they said i have to go to suvummami airport in bangkok and ask immigration there BUT SURELY THIS SHOULD NOT BE THE SITUATION , no wonder tourists are going elsewhere than coming to thailand and i have been coming to thailand for 24 years but am now thinking of going elsewhere along with the ridiculous exchange rate of 41 baht to the english pound i should be getting 80 baht to the pound !

Edited by hottrader77

44 minutes ago, hottrader77 said:

Hi thanks for the information , i now need some more information .

I suggest you do a border run for a 30 day visa exempt entry. You should have no problem getting one.

Form Pattaya the best crossing is Ban Pakad. 

• Like 1

On 3/24/2019 at 8:49 AM, ubonjoe said:

my 800,000 is in KBANK Silom branch - their policy for the last few years is letters are done at head office so apply for the letter and come back next day to collect and organize deposit on the day and passbook copies etc yourself

can someone confirm that the KBANK branch at CW is as helpful as the other banks and will do all this on the morning I am doing my extension

6 hours ago, hottrader77 said:

am i allowed to go to phom phen thai embassey and get a 60 day visa to enter back into thailand till my return flight to uk on 3rd june ?

PP is not a good place to get a Tourist Visa any more.  Only if you had a brand-new passport with no Thai activity in it - then maybe - but still takes 4 days or so.

or if i fly back into thailand without a visa will the airport immigration give me another free 30 day visa ? when i asked this question to jomtien immigration they said yes i can get one BUT THEY SAID THE AIRPORT IMMIGRATION THEY DONT KNOW WHAT THEY WILL DO , i said to IMO at jomtien i thought jomtien immigration was for immigration of all of thailand IMO said yes we are BUT WE DONT KNOW WHAT THE AIRPORT IMMIGRATION WILL DO ! 

Yes, each immigration office and entry-point can make up their own rules - the chain-of-command is entirely impotent.

THIS SITUATION SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED by international law immigration at suvummami airport are breaking international law ,

I don't know about international-law (you don't have a "right" to enter a foreign country), but immigration at the airports regularly breaks Thai law.  Jomtien immigration knows this - as do staff at other entry-points. 

For that matter, Jomtien immigration has staff at some desks (non-O stamp and marriage-based extensions) which make up imaginary rules to block applicants (unless  you use an agent) - I've been there and done that.  Their "tourist" desk is generally professional, though.

i now know where the saying of SAME SAME BUT DIFFERENT COMES FROM !! please could someone give me an answer to my question as jomtien immigration dont know the answer they said i have to go to suvummami airport in bangkok and ask immigration there BUT SURELY THIS SHOULD NOT BE THE SITUATION ,

Any answer you got there would not be reliable, either.  At that entry-point they act on whims - not laws or published rules - or even a consistent set of their own made-up/fake rules.

no wonder tourists are going elsewhere than coming to thailand and i have been coming to thailand for 24 years but am now thinking of going elsewhere along with the ridiculous exchange rate of 41 baht to the english pound i should be getting 80 baht to the pound !

Many former tourists to Thailand no longer spend much/any time here, which is why there are so many condos empty now - many are 1/2 the rental-rates they were when I arrived just 5 or so years ago.  That is the only upside for those still fighting to stay here - though it may not make up for your losses on the Pound, given the internationalists/banksters want to punish the UK intensely, for having the nerve to try to get your sovereignty back from the EU.

What UJ said above is a good fix for your current situation.  You could also get a TR Visa in Laos - but if you only need 30 days, the border-bounce at Ban Pakkard will work.  If you don't have any other land-border Visa-Exempt entries this calendar-year, you would still have one left if you are in Thailand again in 2019.

Edited by JackThompson

On 3/21/2019 at 8:31 AM, frodo77 said:

Its for proof of where you are residing.

He had a yellow book, why would he have to show his wifes, book, just did my extension at Rayong Immigration yesterday, based on retirement, they didn't even want to see y yellow book, go figure sounds like every office is different, how hard would it be to make uniform requirement for all offices

On 3/22/2019 at 10:08 AM, kinyara said:

Exactly my experience at Jomtien the first time, I have a passbook with Krungsri and they wanted to see movement on day of application effectively confirming the balance in black and white in the passbook despite the bank’s confirmation letter. The complication was in the case of Krungsri for some reason they could only issue the letter based on the cleared balance from the previous day per their bank system, ( I know , I know ???? ),  so a withdrawal only meant the letter didn’t match the passbook balance, which IO wouldn’t accept. That’s why I now withdraw and deposit the same amount day of letter and submission so everything ties in exactly, no big deal now I know.

I’m probably more laid back than most and don’t let these things phase me, it gives me a small sense of achievement when I walk out each year with no hassle. I also guess I must lead a very quiet life here as 5 visits a year to Jomtien, 1 retirement renewal, 2 90 day reports and 2 re-entry visas probably totalling 1 hour max doesn’t exactly eat into my less than hectic annual schedule. I’m retired after all :))

Just got my letter from Krungsri yesterday, same issue they had already done the letter after I made my deposit, so it was  100 baht off, said have to come back tomorrow, can not do, need today, they didn't understand the concept of doing a withdrawal for the same amount I deposited, teller was confused when I wanted to do a withdrawal for same amount as deposit, next year I will know, deposit/ withdrawal same amount, no big deal

Just got my letter from Krungsri yesterday, same issue they had already done the letter after I made my deposit, so it was  100 baht off, said have to come back tomorrow, can not do, need today, they didn't understand the concept of doing a withdrawal for the same amount I deposited, teller was confused when I wanted to do a withdrawal for same amount as deposit, next year I will know, deposit/ withdrawal same amount, no big deal

If you get their app on a smartphone you can do the 2 transfers yourself in a couple of minutes, assuming you have another bank account and app. I have Kasikorn and Krungsi so easy to do