Thanathorn, netizens slam Nation TV

webfact

Thanathorn, netizens slam Nation TV

By The Nation

cfe7b68ec66af46a2b7575ea7e764980.jpeg

FUTURE FORWARD Party leader Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit yesterday beat a right-leaning television station at its own game, challenging it to prove the authenticity of an audio clip alleged to be a conversation between him and ousted former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Nation TV yesterday was in the hot seat after the audio clip was aired on one of its most popular news programmes, hosted by its star anchor Kanok Ratwongsakul.

The clip featured an alleged conversation between the two politicians discussing post-election prospects. Netizens criticised the station, saying it had shown itself to be politically compromised by reporting “fake news” that favoured the pro-junta bloc.

Most social media comments characterised the audio clip as “obviously fake” – composed of a voice collage of the two politicians speaking to different audiences on different occasions. ‘Stooping low’ Thanathorn, in a telephone interview with another news programme on Nation TV yesterday, said he did not think “good” media outlets would broadcast such a clip.

“Nation broadcasting the clip just shows how [you’re] stooping so low,” he said. “It’s a shame [you] aired it.” The anchor of another Nation TV show asked whether he had ever spoken with Thaksin.

Thanathorn said, “I’ve talked about this so many times. I think a good media [outlet] should not make it my burden – as the accused here – to prove it. Good media would actually apologise to me. Show responsibility to me and to the people receiving this [false] news.”

A Thai-language hashtag that can be translated as “NationBusted” circulated online all day yesterday along with criticism of the media giant and its conservative anchor, Kanok.

A station executive, however, stood firm about broadcasting the clip, claiming it was done in accordance with media ethics. He challenged Thanathorn to take legal action if he believed Nation TV had crossed the line. Nation TV managing director Chatchai Pokogwai said the station was only doing its job, reporting what was happening and then offering Thanathorn a chance to give his side of the story. But the politician merely took the opportunity to reprimand the station harshly, he said.

“If Thanathorn thinks our report has caused him damage, he can pursue a case against us,” Chatchai said. “I’m ready to take legal action against him as well.”

Spurce: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30366204

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-03-21

So has someone gone running to the EC, the broadcast authority and the computer crimes police to complain about this? 

You can bet if it was a different political leader all those authorities and the army would be involved within hours of the broadcast with the station making all sorts of mea culpas to keep on the air.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

“If Thanathorn thinks our report has caused him damage, he can pursue a case against us,” Chatchai said. “I’m ready to take legal action against him as well.”

Typical Thai response from Chatchai. No matter the circumstances, it's always about ego for them.

Brains of children in adult bodies.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

challenging it to prove the authenticity of an audio clip alleged to be a conversation between him and ousted former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

what is the problem , anything anti-military is for the current greater good; thaksin was/is smart; pity his greed, spread and practiced by his minions , didnt turn out what thailand needed at the time

1 hour ago, YetAnother said:

what is the problem , anything anti-military is for the current greater good; thaksin was/is smart; pity his greed, spread and practiced by his minions , didnt turn out what thailand needed at the time

It was what Thailand needed, it wasn't what the ruling elite/military needed.

5 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

This guy does seem like the real deal but maybe a bit early for him to get the top job. Hope I'm wrong as this guy seems very international friendly.

Well yes, but he needs to think more carefully and be more sure of his facts before he speaks sometimes. 

His statements about the paymasters conviction being politically motivated one good example. His party co-founder is a senior law lecturer, I'm surprised he doesn't ensure such comments are very correct.

5 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

This guy does seem like the real deal but maybe a bit early for him to get the top job. Hope I'm wrong as this guy seems very international friendly.

Too early for him to get the top job? Come on, like even a potato could do a worse job than the current lot ????

I like how the Nation challenges the guy to take legal action knowing that a) the courts don't have a reputation for impartiality, and b) with the election just around the corner he simply hasn't got the time for this type of distraction. I agree with Thanathorn, "very low".

Thai journalism at it’s best - airing a fake clip and then trying to make the victim responsible.

The positive side of this story is that these idiots at Nation TV have just made Thanathorn even more popular the moment it was exposed that the clip was fake!

The managing director said the station was doing it’s job ? By airing a clip that every child would have know that it was doctored? Is the guy for real ?

Change his position to janitor.

The way Thanathorn conducts himself again and again when wrongfully attacked shows what great leadership qualities he has - steering ahead without getting distracted by these sorry excuses of human beings.

He is the only hope for real change in Thailand and the only sane choice for Thais in these elections.

To shine some light on the disgusting behavior of Nation TV owned by the Nation Media Group it also Includes the newspaper who’s articles we read here on ThaiVisa. It is a lousy business making constant losses very likely because of the incompetent management.

Thanathorn on the other hand is a self made successful business man. He unlike the Nation does not depend on and can not be blackmailed by the junta and cronies to remove advertising revenue if they don’t report their fake news.

Great, same as before on the red radio stations now you got it on national stations too. Fake news is becoming a problem. Of course if this had been on a anti junta show and it showed a doctored clip of Prayut action would be far more decisive and swift. Not a level playing field at all. 

But they do all seem to love their fake news.

If Nation TV is available online then surely they have violated the computer crimes act by spreading fake news.

But I'm not sure the rules apply when it could be in the junta's interests.

They could not afford a lawsuit - going by the value of their stock they will not be around very much longer. Probably forced to air the fake news by the junta and their cronies for advertisement revenue.

IMG_8466.PNG

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

So has someone gone running to the EC, the broadcast authority and the computer crimes police to complain about this? 

You can bet if it was a different political leader all those authorities and the army would be involved within hours of the broadcast with the station making all sorts of mea culpas to keep on the air.

Point well made sir, may I add the much trumpeted Electoral Commission "Cyber E-war room" should be salivating over this, but given the political leader in question, nary a dribble.

1 hour ago, boonrawdcnx said:

The managing director said the station was doing it’s job ? By airing a clip that every child would have know that it was doctored? Is the guy for real ?

Change his position to janitor.

They'll make him an Honorary General

Thanathorn's credentials are good. Took over the reins of the family company at 23 when his father died and with his mother built it up very successfully. Speaks perfect English and nicknamed his first son Demo (short for democracy). If he's good enough he's old enough. I can see why others less able are running scared of him.

9 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Typical Thai response from Chatchai. No matter the circumstances, it's always about ego for them.

Brains of children in adult bodies.

Please don't elevate their intelligence so highly. 

2 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

And in a "Only in Thailand Moment";

Thanathorn should call their bluff, they would pee their collective pants if he took them on. Ask for a copy of the recording and have it carefully analysed for fake. 

Analysed outside of Thailand of course - by a legitimate organisation who know what they are doing and who are not influenced by boys in green or 44 rules etc. 

11 hours ago, scorecard said:

Well yes, but he needs to think more carefully and be more sure of his facts before he speaks sometimes. 

His statements about the paymasters conviction being politically motivated one good example. His party co-founder is a senior law lecturer, I'm surprised he doesn't ensure such comments are very correct.

Correctness, often is not the truth. On the other hand, the truth reveals correctness.

Archived