dead Aerox battery (VRLA) looking for smart charger etc.

kekalot

I got a practically new Yamaha Aerox ABS, two weeks ago

drove maximum 200 kilometers, 180 of them to drive the bike home

try to start the bike in the morning (ABS Aerox is keyless - press button, keyfob check and if found you can turn to on and e-start)

I press the button, nothing.

I think this is the battery by the way: (not my picture)

image.png.53588c1f4f1425be9b3c018738363290.png

"NOTICE: To charge a VRLA (Valve Regulated Lead Acid) battery, a special (constant-voltage) battery charger is required. Using a conventional battery charger will damage the battery."

i tried a regular 12v 2amp charger but it didn't seem to do nothing (will get it checked tomorrow)

now, I don't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere with a dead battery so I decided I want two things:

a "battery tender" style charger that works with those VRLA batteries

and

a proper multimeter so I can check the stuff by myself next time

had my eye on this Battery Tender Junior 12v 0.75amp from Amazon.com for about 1000 baht, but most if not all of them are 120 volt 60hz

I don't even know if those chargers would work on this VRLA battery (I know next to nothing about batteries) but all I know is that the charger I have.. it either did nothing to it or it messed it up more

I heard I should get a CTEK on Lazada but to be honest I don't understand why I could get a Battery Tender for 1000 baht or so but the smaller CTEK are 2500 baht.

I don't need something fancy, i just need something that works and to be honest, if the battery and bike alternator works then it will be used very rarely.

if someone would be able to point me to something decent (doesn't have to be CTEK)

just have to know that it works with those batteries. etc

7 hours ago, kekalot said:

I think this is the battery by the way:

Have you tested the battery voltage with some wire and a bulb.

About Aerox, " I've  read and the keyless thing is more hassle than an actual key but I haven't ruled out the possibility that most of them are idiots and haven't read the instructions properly. "

yep the keyless thing if you don't know how it works is weird, especially when you lock the wheel (have to press the button, wait for the light and then can unlock - only for a few seconds) .. I tried it many times too quickly and thought it was Fd

I went ahead and got me a new different branded battery, they had a multimeter and my friend said it was only showing 10.x volts, my "charger" certainly didn't do it any favor I guess.

bike works fine, i found out when setting up the time correctly (went to 12:00 without a battery I guess) that I have a battery OSD.. it was showing 12.x volt on start and went up to 14v while idle/driving. I assume this means the alternator works but I will bring the bike for the pros to check in the next few days (hopefully this battery lasts that long, ha)

still need to figure out multimeter and small battery tender, we'll see if anyone has some recommendations for those.

18 minutes ago, kekalot said:

it was showing 12.x volt on start and went up to 14v while idle/driving.

14V is good for charging the battery....the keyless thing may be draining the battery overnight,there was a thread on here about it happening on the PCX ( also the side stand kill switch if it has one ) 

I imagine the Aerox  has LED  headlight, stop light etc  if not  maybe the high beam on and a stuck on brake light can  take enough power away from the charging circuit that slowly the battery doesn't get charged enough...that can build up sulphation which then starts a vicious circle of the battery not accepting enough charge which leads to more sulphation...or you could have just had a dud battery.

4 minutes ago, johng said:

14V is good for charging the battery....the keyless thing may be draining the battery overnight,there was a thread on here about it happening on the PCX ( also the side stand kill switch if it has one ) 

I imagine the Aerox  has LED  headlight, stop light etc  if not  maybe the high beam on and a stuck on brake light can  take enough power away from the charging circuit that slowly the battery doesn't get charged enough...that can build up sulphation which then starts a vicious circle of the battery not accepting enough charge which leads to more sulphation...or you could have just had a dud battery.

I did have a USB lighter charger adapter plugged in for the whole 10 days or so that it was parked, that included a USB cable but nothing charging on it

everything else turns off as soon as you put the peg down, lights, UI and everything.

however, I wouldn't be surprised if the guy that lives next door didn't screw around with it because he hates me (for no good reasons).. if he went and pressed  that keyless button nonstop to trigger the key check it probably would have killed the battery. (that's technically the only thing you can do without the key in pocket)

1 hour ago, kekalot said:

I did have a USB lighter charger adapter plugged in for the whole 10 days or so that it was parked, that included a USB cable but nothing charging on it

everything else turns off as soon as you put the peg down, lights, UI and everything.

however, I wouldn't be surprised if the guy that lives next door didn't screw around with it because he hates me (for no good reasons).. if he went and pressed  that keyless button nonstop to trigger the key check it probably would have killed the battery. (that's technically the only thing you can do without the key in pocket)

Yeah Thais love pressing the buttons on other peoples bikes. The number of times I've found full beam on, adjustable levers adjusted etc. it does my head it.

If you're really stuck you can use a computer UPS, remove the battery from that and replace with your bike battery and leave it on for 24 hours. They constantly charge at a slow rate.

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

Yeah Thais love pressing the buttons on other peoples bikes. The number of times I've found full beam on, adjustable levers adjusted etc. it does my head it.

If you're really stuck you can use a computer UPS, remove the battery from that and replace with your bike battery and leave it on for 24 hours. They constantly charge at a slow rate.

yeah, I was looking into that yesterday.. as I actually have a broken UPS

would you reckon that a UPS is likely to work with a VRLA battery?

just worried because it said "NOTICE: To charge a VRLA (Valve Regulated Lead Acid) battery, a special (constant-voltage) battery charger is required. Using a conventional battery charger will damage the battery." in the owner manual

I don't know what that means.. tried to google it but figured i'd only replace the battery instead so I bought a bigger but different branded battery for 800 baht and tried to ask them if it was VRLA too but was getting nowhere.

will check the retail box tomorrow but I assume figuring out the UPS thing isn't that difficult.

I still have the old battery so might start with that and see what happens

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

was too curious, went down and got the new retail box from the bike.

Storm Rider YTX-7L-BS 12V/7AH Maintenance Free battery. 800 baht from shop, 600 baht on shopee (without shipping), fair.

opened UPS, stripped cables, plugged them in, plugged UPS in and it made some jolt sound like it usually did.. it won't "turn on" but I think it's still charging even if it's not on

will leave that on 24h and send someone to get it checked

I think I might just take it to that electronic/electric shop and ask him if he can't take off the unnecessary parts for me

otherwise if the battery is total loss then i might just buy a second one just in case

update: that didn't go as planned. my old battery (which was probably already damaged) sat in there 30 minutes or so..

then the UPS started to emit a continuous beep.. didn't know what it was about so unplugged from wall and battery connectors..

battery was exceptionally hot, it's STILL too hot to hold even after like 10 minutes outside on the balcony (so it doesn't blow up in my face)

so I will leave that battery alone for now, haha.

I would love to have something like Amorn Eletronics around where I live so I could ask them to sort this UPS out

Yeah I can confirm it works, I've done it 7-8 times on my Ninja 250 as it sits unridden for long periods, the battery is over 3 years old now and still works fine. Sounds like your UPS isn't charging properly (you did mention it was broken).

Archived