Jump to content
BANGKOK 23 May 2019 08:30
webfact

Thai politics is a man’s world. How can we change that? 

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

They work in those places because they have to.

 

Don't kid yourself, as I used to, that they are there because they enjoy it. 

 

Of course, that's what they have to tell the Western customers, and the customers don't have a clue and don't speak Thai so they lap it up because they don't want to believe their own reality of paying for sex from a prostitute, or the reality of the prostitute's life on the game. Much the same as "I only work cashier" and "I don't go with customer".

 

If you think they can trouser 3000thb a night then you are way off the mark. A small percentage may but the vast majority are getting 1000thb st and paying off massive debts, drug habits, pimp / boyfriend etc, etc, etc and won't see much return on that money let alone be living a decent life or being able to save. 

 

It's a hard life and 99% of them would rather have a proper education but it's too late for that.

 

Would they rather work on a construction site for minimum wage? Debatable but I often see much prettier girls working there than in farang girlie bars.

Lots of people don't enjoy their work. They do it because they have to earn money - like most of us. And if you have the choice between a job you don't like with little pay and a job you don't like with big income then most of us chose the job with the better pay. And that's exactly what many girls do.

How much they earn depends a lot on how active they are. Some old and ugly women in bars make huge amounts of money just by asking guys for drinks. They speak English and are often persistent and that's how they get that money.

Others, even pretty girls, sit in a corner and play with their phones. And then they are surprised if they don't make much money.

Of course there are some who spend all their money on drugs, boyfriends, gambling, whatever. But not only bar-girls waste their money like that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well the last legally elected PM was a woman, what happened to her is hardly going to encourage others is it?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Most girls and women work in these places because they chose to work there. Most of them make a lot more money then they could make in any other job. They can work for 300B a day in a factory or for 3000B a night in a bar. It's a big opportunity for many of them. That includes bringing wealth to their families.

 

And if they are treated with respect depend a lot on their bosses and customers. It is not necessary to disrespect them. I met lots of nice girls in bars - and I treated them accordingly.

You missed the point entirely. 

 

Brothels owned by males in an ugly industry owned by males with a customer base of males.

 

There are also a lot of them who are forced to work there. Brothels for Thai males are full of trafficked and often underage girls. This has been widely documented.

 

I am not against prostitution, but I’m also not going to lie to myself and pretend it’s healthy and respectable because many of the women choose to work at brothels.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Well the last legally elected PM was a woman, what happened to her is hardly going to encourage others is it?

She was the little incompetent sibling from someone in power.

She would have been a nobody without her family.

 

There are lots of competent and successful women out there. I think most of them are just too smart to chose a job in politics. Who in his/her right mind would want to be a politician?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dcnx said:

You missed the point entirely. 

 

Brothels owned by males in an ugly industry owned by males with a customer base of males.

 

There are also a lot of them who are forced to work there. Brothels for Thai males are full of trafficked and often underage girls. This has been widely documented.

 

I am not against prostitution, but I’m also not going to lie to myself and pretend it’s healthy and respectable because many of the women choose to work at brothels.

I missed the point?

 

I know a Thai woman who owns a couple of bars in Soi Cowboy. She is rich, she is hard working, and she gave hundreds of girls from her home the opportunity to make lots of money.

The area from where she comes is now full of villas which are owned by the women who worked for her.

Whenever there is a village party she sponsors part of it. And more and more girls want to be just like her, rich.

 

Sure there is also an ugly part to that business. Like there is an ugly part to many other businesses. Law enforcement should take care of traffickers and other criminals. That law enforcement is lacking as we all know - not only in the bar business.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dcnx said:

You could start by closing down the brothels and girlie bars in the country and show one another 

If that's going to happen you need to put a (better) social security system in.

I think Thailand at least had a voted female prime Minister, unlike Australia.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, stud858 said:

If that's going to happen you need to put a (better) social security system in.

I think Thailand at least had a voted female prime Minister, unlike Australia.

Yes, I've always regarded Julia Gillard as just another bloke in drag

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

removed for redundancy

Edited by klauskunkel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

Yes, I've always regarded Julia Gillard as just another bloke in drag

Don't regard her as a voted in (by the masses) PM. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes!! Yes!! lets get more women into Thai politics

and if we are real lucky we can find one like the

outstanding USA politician  Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

AOC is a real winner ... knows everything and keeps

running her mouth showing just how ignorant she is

and "hasn't a clue" how the real world works

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I missed the point?

 

I know a Thai woman who owns a couple of bars in Soi Cowboy. She is rich, she is hard working, and she gave hundreds of girls from her home the opportunity to make lots of money.

The area from where she comes is now full of villas which are owned by the women who worked for her.

Whenever there is a village party she sponsors part of it. And more and more girls want to be just like her, rich.

I've known most of the bar owners in Cowboy since the early 90's.

 

The one woman I think you might be on about is married to one of the Policemen who are the actual owners if I am not mistaken.

 

You sound like you actually believe what prostitutes tell you, which is a worry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

I've known most of the bar owners in Cowboy since the early 90's.

 

The one woman I think you might be on about is married to one of the Policemen who are the actual owners if I am not mistaken.

 

You sound like you actually believe what prostitutes tell you, which is a worry.

Or maybe you don't know as much as you think you know.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

Totally agree and let me add to that to make it to the top it requires a lot of secrifices (extreme long hours, risk taking, neglecting your own health, neglecting family life, etc), something men are more willing to do than women on average mostly because men are motivated by competing with other men over their yearly income while women are more sensible and often value family and relationships more.

Well said. There appear to be inherent genetic, as well as cultural predispositions, which lead to women and men making different life choices.

 

Given the opportunity, would more women opt to become oil rig workers or firefighters or mechanics, or a greater number of men choose work as in nursing and childcare?

 

This seems doubtful from the evidence.

 

A recent study in Sweden, which has a female-majority self-declared feminist government, revealed that even in the world's most egalitarian country girls at university were mainly interested in studying to do "women's work".

https://www.thelocal.se/20171101/not-so-gender-equal-swedish-teens-still-plan-careers-according-to-gender-study-shows

 

Insisting on quotas for political office or any other job is illogical unless the objective is purely to obtain equal numbers rather than to select the best-qualified candidates. How many business bosses worth their salt would be willing to embrace such impractical concept?

Edited by Krataiboy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, Alho:

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arja_Alho

Quote

 She resigned the government in October 1997 when it was revealed that she had agreed to reduce the compensation that Ulf Sundqvist had been sentenced to pay.

 

Should be right at home giving advice here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...