Thaksin is in Hong Kong. Thailand wants to extradite him.

webfact

7 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Oh just stop this nonsense.

Thaksin is NOT going to be extradited. Ever. Period.

Countries do NOT extradite Democratically-elected, over-thrown Prime Ministers to the Military Regime that over-threw them; it does NOT happen.

And, Thailand has not even submitted a formal request for extradition (according to the story).

The reason that Thailand has not even submitted an extradition request is because they know that it will not be honoured. It will not be honoured because Thailand's judicial system is not seen as being up to international standards in general and this case reeks of political overtones specifically. And, if Thai Authorities try to push for extradition, then countries will be forced to state that Thailand's judicial system is not up to international standards, and Thailand will be humiliated.

The only way that Thaksin (or Yingluck) will return to Thailand is if they choose to do so.

Period.

End of discussion.

Oh, give over. He was democratically elected, convicted of an illegal abuse of power, after his lawyer tried to bribe the judged and was very lucky not to be convicted earlier for the asset concealment case. He's also wanted for the Krung Thai Bank fraud case where other defendants who didn't flea have been convicted and given lengthy prison sentences. Plus an assortment of other cases. He's a crook. Someone who considers he's above the law and can do as he pleases when in office, treating the state's money as his own.

He dissolved parliament in a huff at the initial outcry over the land deal in which he was convicted. He then resigned from the Caretaker PM role and a replacement was officially appointed. He subsequently changed his mind and seized the role back, illegally, on no authority but his own. Zero respect or interest in democracy in reality, a wannabee dictator! 

However, must diplomats, foreign governments aren't stupid, and no what goes on here. Are they interested in extraditing a billionaire, given the seeming lack of interest by Thai authorities to actually do things correctly and formally - probably not. They've heard all the huffing and puffing before. And then nothing happens.

Yingluck was also removed from office prior to her trial in regard to the rice scheme for a different offense.

The English FA declared him unfit to be a football club chairman. But the British governments seem to welcome anyone with huge amounts of cash like a few Russians etc. 

He was warned in the UAE that he could stay as long as he didn't cause trouble by stirring things in Thailand. 

International standards for judicial systems - do you think there actually are any? Or is it just your subjective opinions? I think the US system is crap, full of odd judges making weird decisions with federal and local courts seemingly disagreeing and vying for position whilst making decisions influenced by politics. But that's just my opinion. 

The reality is many countries justice systems aren't much better and maybe worse than Thailand's. China is not exactly known for having impartial judges of high integrity.

A billionaire, ethnic Chinese with many "business interests and contacts" in China - safe as houses there.

None of which however means he isn't a crook.

1 hour ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Indeed. No one ever wants to be the person held responsible or accountable! Also, no one wants to upset someone who might one day be in a position to help or hinder you. But no one also wants to be seen to loose face by not doing something. Solution - find/invent a way to pass the book, deflect, say you would if you could but you can't because someone else has to do something - even better if you can make it so vague and tenuous that no one actually understands who needs to do what exactly!

This is a classic example - "not my job' syndrome.

As I recall he wasn't democratically elected. I believe the EC invalidated the election and he named himself caretaker PM. I also recall him being very arrogant about it until he was summoned to the highest power in the land. Later that night he went on television crying.

Also I believe an election requires a royal endorsement, which he never got in the last election he ran in.  Most of the other political parties boycotted the election. 

So I would say no he was not elected in the last election he ran in.

The story has changed as the public prosecutor denies press reports that the Thais are going after former PM and fugitive Thaksin Shinawatra in Hong Kong, please continue in the updated topic running here:

//Closed//

Archived