Next Brexit defeat could mean election, May could say: Channel 4

webfact

Next Brexit defeat could mean election, May could say: Channel 4

2019-03-20T180035Z_1_LYNXNPEF2J1OV_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU.JPG

Britain's Prime Minister Theresa May is seen outside Downing Street in London, Britain March 20, 2019. REUTERS/Hannah McKay

(Reuters) - British Prime Minister Theresa May could indicate in a statement later that another defeat for her Brexit deal could mean a general election, Channel 4's political editor Gary Gibbon said on Wednesday.

"There's speculation that (May) could spell out that defeat for her deal next week could mean a general election," he said in a blog post. "Speculation too that Mrs May will, in an attempt to win Brexiteer votes, promise that she doesn't intend to hang around as leader of the Tories (Conservatives) and prime minister much longer."

(Reporting by Elisabeth O'Leary; editing by Stephen Addison)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-03-21

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If only but the word here in the article says it all. Speculation. If there was a GE then the people could vote those that have not followed their constituents or keep them in. Either way a democratic way. Dominic Grieve, Soubry, Cooper and the like are crapping it, as their constituents want them deselected anyway. A GE would speed that process up. Bring it on.

4 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

If only but the word here in the article says it all. Speculation. If there was a GE then the people could vote those that have not followed their constituents or keep them in. Either way a democratic way. Dominic Grieve, Soubry, Cooper and the like are crapping it, as their constituents want them deselected anyway. A GE would speed that process up. Bring it on.

You are obviously out of touch with the public political mood in the UK.

As I said at the time, I took part in the last General Election campaign and as I said at the time, out of the hundreds of people I spoke face to face with, few even mentioned Brexit.

The concerns I heard time and time again related in no particular order, to; jobs, the NHS, crime and the absence of police on the streets, education/schools/costs, housing, public transport and a variety of local issues.

From recollection, more people expressed concerns over having their bins collected than Brexit.

But of course I do accept that talking face to face to hundreds of people in an election campaign about the issues that concern them is not the only way to gain an insight, you might have gained valuable personal insights from behind your keyboard.

12 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Really. all the newspapers, news reports and the constant barrage from the media is all about Brexit. Same with social media. Just look at the threads in here over the last 3 years.

13 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

From recollection, more people expressed concerns over having their bins collected than Brexit.

Again I disagree.

15 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

As I said at the time, I took part in the last General Election campaign and as I said at the time, out of the hundreds of people I spoke face to face with, few even mentioned Brexit.

I suggest you get out more and speak to more diverse people.

I will stick by my claim that a GE is needed to break this stalemate.

9 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Really. all the newspapers, news reports and the constant barrage from the media is all about Brexit. Same with social media. Just look at the threads in here over the last 3 years.

Again I disagree.

Away with your suggestion I should speak to more diverse people.

I spoke face to face with hundreds of people, who just happened to be flesh and blood individuals with a vote to cast and skin in the game.

Your online experiences are, I am sure, a fulfilling part of your day.

However, if there is another election I shall take the opportunity to once again join the election campaign and speak face to face with even more voters.

Feel free to battle my face to face efforts by bashing the keyboard, you might have a message people wish to hear.

17 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Again I disagree.

Quite agree. He should spend his time drinking in Spoonies, it's where the real Brits hang out.

If you don't shave your head, you're not a true Brexiteer.

14 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Away with your suggestion I should speak to more diverse people.

I spoke face to face with hundreds of people, who just happened to be flesh and blood individuals with a vote to cast and skin in the game.

Your online experiences are, I am sure, a fulfilling part of your day.

However, if there is another election I shall take the opportunity to once again join the election campaign and speak face to face with even more voters.

Feel free to battle my face to face efforts by bashing the keyboard, you might have a message people wish to hear.

You seem to be getting a wee angry. This is an online forum in case you have forgotten. So debating is done with a keyboard. If you can't accept it then why don't you go, wherever you go, to do battle face to face, with whoever.

5 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Quite agree. He should spend his time drinking in Spoonies, it's where the real Brits hang out.

If you don't shave your head, you're not a true Brexiteer.

What a quality response. I do not have a shaved head. So in your reality and mindset I am not a true brexiteer. I have had breakfast in a spoonies will that count.

I imagine you feel that you are funny but in reality it shows ignorance, poor intellect and disrespect.  I can't wait to hear what a 'true remainer' looks like. Is it this?

image.png.a2640aadf41b3096c44d9ce55352f815.png

46 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The concerns I heard time and time again related in no particular order, to; jobs, the NHS, crime and the absence of police on the streets, education/schools/costs, housing, public transport and a variety of local issues.

But of course I do accept that talking face to face to hundreds of people in an election campaign about the issues that concern them is not the only way to gain an insight, you might have gained valuable personal insights from behind your keyboard.

I think you were likely correct in your findings during the last election. The problems discussed at doorstep level remain burning issues that to date remain unresolved. However , you comments were based upon the findings during the last election. The mood and voice on the doorstep may well include the same findings as brexit dates were set and moving forward. However since then Brexit has become a shambles that is paramount in the UK people and a key decision maker if unresolved, if another election is held. Campaigning at street level will be different. Trust has been lost by this government and the opposition. Unless resolved Brexit will  headline any campaigning at an election. As they say a week is a long time in politics. Perhaps we should change that to a day is a long time in brexit politics.

15 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I can't wait to hear what a 'true remainer' looks like. Is it this?

image.png.a2640aadf41b3096c44d9ce55352f815.png

Close, but no cigar. My mouth isn't that big. Big mouths are the preserve of Brexiteers. Goes with the small brains.

The country's a week away from its most important decision since September 1939 and all posters are doing is engaging in childish personal vendettas. 

I don't see how an election will resolve Brexit. Let's have a debate broadcast on every TV channel for 5 days in a row between advocates and dissenters of Brexit. Advocates must have a clear cut plan that is open to debate. After that a referendum as to stay according to the Brexiteers' plan or call the whole thing off and imprison Cameron for life for wasting people's time.

46 minutes ago, Dogbarker said:

I think you were likely correct in your findings during the last election. The problems discussed at doorstep level remain burning issues that to date remain unresolved. However , you comments were based upon the findings during the last election. The mood and voice on the doorstep may well include the same findings as brexit dates were set and moving forward. However since then Brexit has become a shambles that is paramount in the UK people and a key decision maker if unresolved, if another election is held. Campaigning at street level will be different. Trust has been lost by this government and the opposition. Unless resolved Brexit will  headline any campaigning at an election. As they say a week is a long time in politics. Perhaps we should change that to a day is a long time in brexit politics.

I agree people are absolutely concerned over the shambles Brexit has become

How anyone concludes that will result in more support for more Brexit is a mystery.

People are most concerned with what impacts them and their families.

Remainers and Leavers look at Brexit and see a seething pile of chaos.

More chaos is not a vote winner.

Not when you have skin in the game.

2 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Your reasoning explains why May probably will be using this as a threat!

Neither the cons. or labour are likely to do well in the event of another GE in the near future, and they know this.  How many MPs are worried about losing their seats?

2 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Constituents cannot deselect an MP. Only their party members can.deselect. There are changes in the mood of people here in the UK. An election could be won by a majority of remainers MPs regardless of the party. There is a very large number of new young voters who also want to vote to remain. There is another huge rally taking place this Saturday towards Parliament to demand a People's Vote. The number attending could top over a million people. Last time there was over 750,000 in October 2018. The £39 billion the UK has to pay the EU, proves we were in profit this much from the EU and this is why it was stupid to think of leaving in the first place. No sensible business gives away all its profits.

Still highly unlikely, because both parties will lose seats in the case of a GE. The public political mood in the UK has swung away from both of them, so it could be a good thing.
https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1103099/brexit-news-latest-nigel-farage-theresa-may-leave-eu-no-deal-brexit-delay
Nigel Farage issues WARNING to Theresa May over Brexit party membership SURGE

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

25 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Still highly unlikely, because both parties will lose seats in the case of a GE. The public political mood in the UK has swung away from both of them, so it could be a good thing.
https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1103099/brexit-news-latest-nigel-farage-theresa-may-leave-eu-no-deal-brexit-delay
Nigel Farage issues WARNING to Theresa May over Brexit party membership SURGE

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Exactly,,, Why do you think May is is suffering the vapors over the suggestion of any Election it is because whether it be a General or a European Council Election the Tories are going to get a humiliating hammering, the only conciliation is Labour will not fair much better.

13 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Exactly,,, Why do you think May is is suffering the vapors over the suggestion of any Election it is because whether it be a General or a European Council Election the Tories are going to get a humiliating hammering, the only conciliation is Labour will not fair much better.

The GE in England can only be between Labour and the Tories. The Lib Dems are dead in the water and the far right parties will do just as well as they have done in every other election - zero seats. I won't even bother mentioning the Greens.

I agree that both Labour and the Tories are now virtually unelectable, but with no viable alternatives, a hung parliament with either Labour or the Tories forming a coalition is inevitable. Time for PR?

If there is a GE..I think you will find that the new Brexit Party would get a few seats..Ukip probably not but would still get many votes..some of both sitting Tory and Labour MP's would be de-selected..it would be very interesting.
Probably a hung parliament..slight majority with Tories who would have to go cap in hand to the DUP and Brexit Party.
What a cocktail to start off with.
Also..Tories obviously would have a Brexiteer as PM

Answers on a postcard please[emoji6][emoji23][emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Comrade Corbyn and his loony left would do far more damage to the country than a hard Brexit. The only saving grace is Abbot and her mathematical skills would employed as home secretary and not Chancellor of the Exchequer!!!!

6 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

You don't think nearly all the MP's are crapping it at the thought of a GE? 

May does, which is why she's using the threat to coerce them.

You always seem to forget the small margin who voted for Brexit. And the caning May got when she called a snap election and tried to campaign only on Brexit.

2 hours ago, Spidey said:

The GE in England can only be between Labour and the Tories. The Lib Dems are dead in the water and the far right parties will do just as well as they have done in every other election - zero seats. I won't even bother mentioning the Greens.

I agree that both Labour and the Tories are now virtually unelectable, but with no viable alternatives, a hung parliament with either Labour or the Tories forming a coalition is inevitable. Time for PR?

PR - so we can have huge amounts of elections with huge amounts of hung parliaments, failed coalitions and minority governments who never get anything done - like Italy etc. ?

13 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

You always seem to forget the small margin who voted for Brexit.

LOL Small margin, over a million people.

14 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

And the caning May got when she called a snap election and tried to campaign only on Brexit

You sound like Jeremy Corbyn who said that they won, even though Labour came second and May was still PM. I guess its like the football team who get beat, 5-2 but claim it was a victory.

More threats from the PM. "Vote for my deal or you might lose your seat". The sad thing is that given the number of self serving, anti-democratic muppets currently wasting oxygen in the House of Commons this might actually be her best strategy yet.

Abbot couldn't wash a coupla dirty plates..brainless pc waste of space imo

Comrade Corbyn and his loony left would do far more damage to the country than a hard Brexit. The only saving grace is Abbot and her mathematical skills would employed as home secretary and not Chancellor of the Exchequer!!!!

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, Spidey said:

Do not rule out a spectacular recovery of the Lib Dem's, or the SNP putting up candidates in England, or a new Remain Party, (48% of the electorate voted remain), or even the Monster Raving Loony Party. 

But there again hypothetical as their will not be a GE until May 2022... 

Archived