Change from Retirement to a Dependant Visa

Hi, I am currently on the retirement extension which expires in April 2019, i do not have sufficient funds at this time to renew, i do have 400,000 for the dependency visa through my 17-year-old son.

Can i change from the retirement visa to the dependant visa in the Immigration office or do i need to leave and get a 3 Month Non O from an Embassy?.

Whichever it is what documents would i require?.

Thanks

If your son it Thai and you are his legal father by way of marriage or legitimization of your parenthood you could change the reason for your extension of stay (it is not a visa) from retirement to one based upon being the parent of a Thai. There would be no need to go out for a viisa. You would need 400k baht (for 2 months at some offices) in Thai bank in your name only or proof of 40k baht income.

If your son is not Thai and is attending school on an extension of stay based upon that you could apply for being his parent and would need 500k baht in a Thai bank for 90 days.

Thanks, Joe,

My son is Thai and i am named on the Birth Certificate as the Father but i'm not married, I have not done the legitimization as i have never had the need to. I did use the Birth Certificate a few years ago for a 60 day extension with no problem, is this a rule that i now need to legitimize my son?.

28 minutes ago, benson said:

I did use the Birth Certificate a few years ago for a 60 day extension with no problem, is this a rule that i now need to legitimize my son?.

You must be the legal parent of you child to apply for a one year extension. That has been a requirement for several years now.

It is shown in clause 2.18 of police order 138/2557.

"3. Copy of documents proving relationship, such as a marriage certificate, a birth certificate, registration of child legitimization, household registration certificate, child adoption registration certificate, or other evidence from the government or relevant agency"

Due to your sons age (7 or over needed) you can go to an Amphoe with him and within a few hours and have it done. Having his mother with you would help as well.

I suggest you check with your local office to find out what they require for the extension application. Many will want proof you son is living with you.

A 60 day extension to visit you son is still possible without the legitimization being done.