NZ bans semi-automatic and assault rifles after mass shooting

webfact

4 hours ago, Longcut said:

In America, it is a constitutional right to own guns. Can't just pass a law to ban them just because you want to.

Own as many muskets as you like. Have fun trying to kill 50 with that. 

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, ShortTimed said:

Interesting.

Had the rules on gun ownership been restricted to NZ citizens, would this shooter have had legal access to his 5 firearms?

How did this moron get those past customs/immigration?

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

NZ doesn't have a constitution giving the right to bear arms. If it had, this law would probably never be presented.

As in a lot of cases no one knows who has what weapons, it will be simple enough to hide the class being banned if the owner doesn't want to give them up. I doubt they'll be sending in the police to check every registered gun owner's property.

Of course, this law will only affect law abiding people. Criminals will have no problem obtaining such weapons if they don't already have them.

You are correct.

NZ doesn’t have a Constitution giving the right to bear arms [in defence of the Constitution].

Nor does it have the NRA buying the allegiance of politicians.

What it does have right now is a place  in the center of the world stage with the full lights of the world’s media reporting the NZ government response to this atrocity.

You can throw as many false equivalences at this as you like but news of a government acting decisively to ban automatic weapons is being beamed into every American home.

Do all the dodging you wish, American public opinion is moving towards banning automatic weapons:

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2018/02/a-new-poll-shows-a-dramatic-change-in-how-americans-view-gun-control/

The issue, as you are aware, is not references to US Constitution that are irrelevant in NZ, but the fact the American public are watching NZ’ response and it chimes with growing American public opinion.

58 minutes ago, sonos99 said:

I believe this is an area they are looking at. I believe Overseas hunters can obtain a license at the airport (issued by the police) and can use it to use a weapon in NZ provided by an outfitter. I think they can also use it to purchase a weapon in NZ but I'm not positive about that. Not sure what checks are required 

Just looked at the nz licence requirements. If you are in NZ for more than 1 year you require a NZ Firearms Licence. If less than 1 year you can obtain a Visitor Firearm Licence (very easy). 

There is no requirement to be a NZ citizen for the full licence. Need a few different forms of ID. The police will do a background check. Attend a firearms safety course and sit a safety and understanding of the law test. You then have an interview with police and I think that the police check your gun storage facilities (usually an approved gun safe) 

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

What it does have right now is a place  in the center of the world stage with the full lights of the world’s media reporting the NZ government response to this atrocity.

You can throw as many false equivalences at this as you like but news of a government acting decisively to ban automatic weapons is being beamed into every American home.

Do all the dodging you wish, American public opinion is moving towards banning automatic weapons:

Excellent...........and if the NRA wasn't so powerful with so many politicians in their pocket then the US should have enacted a ban on these years ago. How many more innocent US citizens have die before politicians see sense..........THERE IS NO NEED FOR THESE TYPES OF WEAPONS BY EVERYDAY CITIZENS.........they are for use in wars.

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It would indeed if such existed in the world. Unfortunately it doesn't. Apparently NZ has a very high rate of domestic abuse and murder for the population number, and they didn't use an assault weapon for any of them, far as I'm aware.

http://www.areyouok.org.nz/family-violence/statistics/

Also too much physical assault to be safe out there.

moaris and pacific islanders are the majority of the above mentioned people.

18 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Excellent...........and if the NRA wasn't so powerful with so many politicians in their pocket then the US should have enacted a ban on these years ago. How many more innocent US citizens have die before politicians see sense..........THERE IS NO NEED FOR THESE TYPES OF WEAPONS BY EVERYDAY CITIZENS.........they are for use in wars.

The NRA are currently under investigation for funneling Russian money to the Trump campaign.

Don’t bet on them maintaining their current position of power within US politics.

I have been shooting since I was a teenager, we lived on a farm so it was natural. I honestly cannot see why a good shooter needs a semi automatic, a single shot is fine if you can shoot straight, reloading is fairly quick as well. One shot is all you should need for killing game, if you cant do it you shouldnt be shooting anyway

I guess in the absence of guns he could have run riot with a sharpened spoon.

Well one can only hope future terrorists share your lack of creativity.

Seriously though, I know you are just having your fun and you are fully aware of the various high casualty methods that many Muslim terrorists are using in the Western World.

Good to see someone knows the gun laws in NZ, unlike a poster on this thread who doesn't know the UK gun laws.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I wish you could be more specific. I can’t tell if I should be offended or someone else. (Insert head scratch emoticon here).

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

10 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

It is, of course, a misleading headline.  If you read the story, it's a proposal to ban these weapons; this announcement has no force of law and if the legislation passes the parliament it won't take effect for another 3+ weeks.  In the meantime NZ gun shops report a rush of customers

Not true. The GovGen has signed an Order in Council giving immediate effect to the proposal by regulation as an interim measure pending the legislation.

10 hours ago, robblok said:

Finally a country where reason rules, unlike other countries where they keep saying guns don't kill people. 

They are right but it gets a hell of a lot easier if you use a gun instead of a spoon. 

It's also of course MUCH easier in a SMALL country with a unicameral Parliament and a long way away from their nearest & dearest neighbour.

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Deflect away then. The law could not be passed if there was a constitutional right to bear arms, UNLESS the constitution was changed first, and no guarantee it would be.

BTW, how many times did the US constitution relating to bearing arms get changed?

Since this law doesn't ban guns, just some very specific classes, imo this would not need a constitutional change in the US. 

I have been shooting since I was a teenager, we lived on a farm so it was natural. I honestly cannot see why a good shooter needs a semi automatic, a single shot is fine if you can shoot straight, reloading is fairly quick as well. One shot is all you should need for killing game, if you cant do it you shouldnt be shooting anyway

You don’t understand the gun nut mentality (American in my case). They’ll show you a YouTube of shooting varmints to justify a need for multiple shot rifles dropping 3-4 coyotes as the

poor things run away. A silencer too, now to protect “hearing”. NRA propaganda.

More More More firepower, why? INTRUDERS of course. Finally, it’s our culture under attack and why do you hate freedom?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since this law doesn't ban guns, just some very specific classes, imo this would not need a constitutional change in the US. 

I believe thats called a “slippery slope”.

And I don’t think you understand this law affects alot more than “just some very specific classes”.

If I understand correctly, this law includes just 2 of the 5 firearms he had in his possession. It does not affect the other 3.

Can anyone confirm or disprove that?
Thanks

10 hours ago, sonos99 said:

It is a proposal but all major political parties have given their support so it will pass. With such broad support even if NZ had a 2nd Amendment equivalent I suspected parliament would amend the Constitution to allow the ban. 

It addition the govt has already changed the gun regulations to restrict further the purchase of these weapons until the legislation is passed. 

Parliament cannot change the constitution except if you are in Thailand of course. 

4 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I guess in the absence of guns he could have run riot with a sharpened spoon.

Or a car or truck as the followers of the religion of peace are wont  to do. Or as reported today from Italy,  tie up school kids on a school bus and set fire to the bus. 

Nobody can condone this nuts actions but it's not hard to understand his motivation. 

1 hour ago, ShortTimed said:

I believe thats called a “slippery slope”.

And I don’t think you understand this law affects alot more than “just some very specific classes”.

If I understand correctly, this law includes just 2 of the 5 firearms he had in his possession. It does not affect the other 3.

Can anyone confirm or disprove that?
Thanks

What slippery slope? Also right now certain weapons are banned.

I understand this law, thanks. 

11 hours ago, robblok said:

Finally a country where reason rules, unlike other countries where they keep saying guns don't kill people. 

They are right but it gets a hell of a lot easier if you use a gun instead of a spoon. 

But if access to weapons was the reason for mass shootings and murder, why does New Zealand historically have one of the lowest murder and shooting incident rates in the world BEFORE these laws were proposed? Maybe there are other factors at play in highly criminal societies that restricting access to firearms won't solve? And just for the record, I don't like guns, own guns, or ever will willingly use one

I wish people would stop thinking she is the second coming of Jesus Christ.  John Howard did this over twenty years ago in the aftermath of the slaughter by another nutter in Tasmania. 

Just another politician using any situation for self aggrandisement. 

Call me cynical.... I really don't care... Too old and worldy wise to worry. 

Archived