Motorcycle taxi wars: Grab rider attacked by "win" as police admit the law is not clear

webfact

Motorcycle taxi wars: Grab rider attacked by "win" as police admit the law is not clear

2pm.jpg

Police near Khao San Road have admitted that the law regarding the use of Grab Bike and similar services is still unclear. 

They have called on motorcycle taxis (win), Grab, taxi drivers and Uber to keep calm and call the cops if there are disputes. 

In a latest case that happened in Chakraphon Road a Grab rider was attacked by a "win" rider.

Pictures of his bloodied shoulder caused a lot of comment from the public after they appeared on the "Patiharn Sarikapun" page.

Pol Lt-Col Phuwadon Unphote of the Chanasongkhram police near the end of Khao San Road told Daily News Online that this was a case of turf wars between Grab and regular motorcycle taxis. 

A verbal argument had broken out that led to violence. 

A man is to appear in court charged with assault after the incident on Tuesday. 

Lt-Col Phuwadon called for calm while admitting that the law is unclear at this time regarding the use of services like Grab and Uber. 

He urged people to call the cops if there was trouble. 

The injured poster on Facebook said they would continue working for Grab and were OK but undaunted. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-03-21

1 hour ago, smedly said:

The law is very clear - it's assault 

Why not Grab both of them and charge them - Win Win

Would you please explain the law as you know it.

I only figure if Grab is operating in a city it must be with legal permission.

36 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

why not go look it up then you can form you own opinion :post-4641-1156694572:

It’s not a problem in Malaysia, why should it be here? Another thing, taxi drivers etc in Malaysia don’t go around hacking at people with machetes because they know they’ll do serious time for it, not the Mickey Mouse sentencing given for violence in Thailand 

1 hour ago, lemonjelly said:

It’s not a problem in Malaysia, why should it be here? Another thing, taxi drivers etc in Malaysia don’t go around hacking at people with machetes because they know they’ll do serious time for it, not the Mickey Mouse sentencing given for violence in Thailand 

Vietnam also there is no problem at all with Grab, of coarse Thailand has a problem.

1 hour ago, baansgr said:

Meanwhile on Sukhumvit 22, a moto taxi guy has just returned a lost bag to a Korean tourist containing 700,000THB

on sukhumvit soi 11 the local win at the end of the soi are a godsend.

mouth of the soi, not so much.

2 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

You are so right. Here, you are likely to get more jail time for saying the wrong things about certain people, than you do for man-slaughter, or fleeing the scene of an accident with fatalities.

3 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

Ban this mafia taxi drivers (win) 

And taxi no meter too 

Let people use what their want 

And have the general public have a choice?

It will never happen as we both know... sadly. 

1 hour ago, james.d said:
5 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

And taxi no meter too 

And have the general public have a choice?

It will never happen as we both know... sadly. 

Ofcores the general public have a choice just stop using win and start use grab taxi 

10 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

Ofcores the general public have a choice just stop using win and start use grab taxi 

Not really an option when the win driver mafia threatens Grab drivers and they are afraid to pick you up. I have some real nasty ones right next to my condo, so some Grab drivers refuse to stop there, and every time I step outside at night I have a guy approach me offering "disco" and "girls", and when I decline and flag a normal taxi (car) gives me the evil eye.

On 3/21/2019 at 9:51 AM, BestB said:

What is unclear? That assault is against the law? Or that competition is not welcome?

what is unclear?

Grab is an illegal service. they are working illegally.

using unregistered illegal motorbikes/riders with no permission to be a motorbike taxi.

in the meantime, registered real motorbike taxi guys pay tax, pay for their vest and some other fees.

Grab is using the legal loopholes in the system. cleat cheating. it is a Singaporean company and all they ears goes to Singapore as well.

Then poor real  Thai motorcycle taxi guys suffer.

Such incidents often happen.

no to Grab.

On 3/21/2019 at 11:06 AM, watcharacters said:

law says Grab can operate but only with registered and legal taxis or motorbike taxis.

Bc taxis and motorbike taxis pay a fee and many other expenses to get a registration to be a taxi or motorbike taxi. with lots of bribes.

illegal unregistered taxis and motorbike taxis has no investment or fees to pay.

So, lets sya a legal motorbike taxi guy invests 100 k into this business to get registered and illegal unregistered one pays nothing and no investment.

Hence, it is not fair for legal taxi and motorbike taxis and such incidents happen.

Grab is doing an illegal business. it is a Singaporean company to damaging the incomes of Thai people.

On 3/21/2019 at 1:53 PM, Henrik Andersen said:

And taxi no meter too 

Grab is the mafia as it is operating illegally and no one is saying anything about this. and then registered motorbike taxis do things in their way.

they should ban Grab and all grab vehicles except the ones with registration.

I'm sure to the Police what is perfectly  clear is that assaults and violence are against the law and if they concentrate on arrests and charges for those involved then the Taxi side of the problems will probably disappear ?

Archived