Does anyone else practice 'detachment' in order to keep sanity whilst living in LOS

davidst01

13 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You're missing the bottle of rice whiskey and the yaba tablets that they all took before the 'boom boom boom ......'

Thai folks know how to party! Those kids on Ko Phangan are amateurs.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

I totally feel that way all the time, which is why the little petty annoyances just roll off my back. Its like im on this alien planet where folks look sort of like me and even speak my language, yet at the same time are so totally alien to my westerness as to make me just go, wow dude, thats cool! Thats alien! Like, I walk out of my condo and the first thing I see is a big old shrine all festooned with flowers and suchlike. Red soda pop. I love it. I have been seeing stuff like that for 25 years and it still makes me smile. Its a different planet! Even their feet are different!

Nyezhov,you have it all wrong this time.You are the alien here!

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

You're missing the bottle of rice whiskey and the yaba tablets that they all took before the 'boom boom boom ......'

The only Thais I see listening to that "nothing but bass" crap are brain fried pill heads.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Haha 1

I find teaching really smart kids helps. I've long since given up on having discussions in Thai outside simple banter. I read a lot of great journals and blogs.

Pretty much try to avoid the foreigners as much as the Thai. Wife has proven to be a lovely but simple soul. She does enjoy history and culture.

I'm happy to enjoy nature and the outdoors more. Looking forward to re-retiring at 62. Double the trips.

• Like 1

I use detachment at all times and wherever I am. Realize that nothing is overly important, things are as they are, choice isn't available at any level, events happen in the space of your being, they are beyond your control even your reactions are beyond your control they are part of your programing, genetical, nurture and society, having the grace of detachment is just part of my program enhanced by spiritual practice. I learned an hour ago that my mother was killed in a road accident in Australia, it is as it is.

• Sad 1

I feel an educated person who cares about quality and correctness...

Along with education, throw in a lot of intelligence and common sense - if you have the latter 2, education can be taken out.

• Like 1

Yes, you have stumbled on a Buddhist survival technique. Emotionally detach yourself from everything and you'll be fine.

I have conquered that and implore you to keep going down that road until you are completely void of any neg feeling and your life will magically work itself out!

And there's a money-back guarantee!!!!

Edited by geronimo

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Kinda like living in a low-income trailer park in the U.S. with everyone around watching Jerry Springer re-runs on the TV all day, while your neighbor is outside barbecuing the squirrel he shot while hunting in the woods last night!  And downing cans of Coors beer while cooking and then taking a piss in your garden! 

No offense to any Jerry Springer watching, squirrel eating, Coors drinking fans out there!  :w00t:

You been to my house then...

• Haha 2