Does anyone else practice 'detachment' in order to keep sanity whilst living in LOS

davidst01

21 hours ago, laislica said:

Yes me too.

I married a Thai 6 years ago and promptly took her to live with me in Spain.

We only visit Thailand for holidays so she can reconnect with her family and friends.

Thailand is too expensive compared to Spain too.

Spain has proper seasons and the language is so much easier than Thai.

When in Thailand and out and about, my wife has to constantly remind me not to shout at stupid vehicle drivers, for my own safety/.

Roads in Thailand are a nightmare and immigration rule changes make those expats who live here full time, live under The Sword of Damocles!

Can I ask you what is more expensive in Thailand and what is more expensive in Spain?

Rent?Food?Gasoline?

Where did you move to in Spain?Sorry if to intrusive I'm just curious because Spain would be ok for me too

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Thaidream said:

It's hard living in Thailand if everything you do or think is compared to the Western world.  You have to at least understand nothing you  do will really make a difference except the way you conduct yourself.   You cannot change the Government; you cannot make people drive safely; you cannot change the education system and you can't change the Immigration rules.

It used to bother me when I first came decades ago but  since then I have adapted- some of the unpleasantness I don't even see anymore.  Resistance is futile.

That philosophy is also part of the Buddhist teachings. As you cultivate more and more, you learn to accept the changes you made to adapt the the situation. Adaptation of the mind comes from inside you. When you adapted, problems that used to irk you disappears. Karma is a good philosophy. It acts as a safety valve attributing all wrongs done to you resulting from your past deeds and with the promise of a better future rebirth for your present good deeds.  

22 hours ago, davidst01 said:

'I feel an educated person who cares about quality and correctness would go absolutely insane dealing with many Thais if he didn't practice avoidance and detachment.' 

I am Mr. Spock. Works for me commander.

22 hours ago, laislica said:

Yes me too.

We only visit Thailand for holidays so she can reconnect with her family and friends.

When in Thailand and out and about, my wife has to constantly remind me not to shout at stupid vehicle drivers, for my own safety/.

Roads in Thailand are a nightmare and immigration rule changes make those expats who live here full time, live under The Sword of Damocles!

FYI. No one cares. Enjoy Spain and finds something to do rather than criticize Thailand and decisions of other people. Every country has good and bad and we are all not alike. If Spain was utopia then it would be the most expensive place on earth. So enjoy your Eutopia my friend and forget the places you don’t enjoy ???? 

22 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Dude, all I have IS Thai TV (except for BEIN) and let me tell you, the Soap Operas are great. And I dont speak Thai. Chicks in Sarongs with black teeth poisoning each other and screetching and howling and waving choppers and evil stares! Killer. I had this girl over one night and she walked right to the TV and flipped it on and just stared for like an hour.

be careful man, maybe she is getting ideas

On 3/21/2019 at 10:39 AM, laislica said:

Yes me too.

Been to Southern Spain and it is in the main terrible with desolate developments all over the place.  Looks like a scene out of "The end of days" in some places.  As for prices, you clearly have a selective memory, or was eating in the wrong places in Thailand.  By the way, I know what I am saying about Spain is true as I spent 4 years living on Gibraltar, touring both Spain and Portugal as potential retirement places.  But, as the saying goes, "horses for courses".

Edited by robertson468
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Once here, they develop a new list of complaints and are sometimes outraged to find that Thailand, too, is not according to their specifications.

I think this cuts to the heart of the matter. People who constantly complain about Thailand would be constantly complaining about something no matter where they were.

• Like 1

I wish I could speak Thai and engage more with people here. The parts OP find difficult to deal with I just take as a laugh. Where else would you see a police motorcyclist riding in the wrong direction in Sukhumvit (against traffic). 

Been to Southern Spain and it is in the main terrible with desolate developments all over the place.  Looks like a scene out of "The end of days" in some places.  As for prices, you clearly have a selective memory, or was eating in the wrong places in Thailand.  By the way, I know what I am saying about Spain is true as I spent 4 years living on Gibraltar, touring both Spain and Portugal as potential retirement places.  But, as the saying goes, "horses for courses".

Depends on your lifestyle, we manage happily on less than 1000 euros a month apart from holidays.Been back to Thailand almost a month and got through 200000 baht already lol, but this is a holiday.

Sent from my SM-J610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app