Does anyone else practice 'detachment' in order to keep sanity whilst living in LOS

davidst01

I had no sanity problems dealing with Thais (and especially driving) when i came here. On the driving front, after all the claims of bad driving, I was a bit reluctant to get on the road but i found it relatively stress free. Why?

My previous living abroad experiences were Libya, West Africa and the Australian outback in the Northern Territories. With that training, what could Thailand throw at me? ????.  All had there own unique horrors, (including a Coup d'etat and nearly getting strafed).

On 3/21/2019 at 9:51 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Kinda like living in a low-income trailer park in the U.S. with everyone around watching Jerry Springer re-runs on the TV all day, while your neighbor is outside barbecuing the squirrel he shot while hunting in the woods last night!  And downing cans of Coors beer while cooking and then taking a piss in your garden! 

No offense to any Jerry Springer watching, squirrel eating, Coors drinking fans out there!  :w00t:

You’re not exactly right. Your neighbors would be ON the Jerry Springer show!! 

• Haha 1

On 3/22/2019 at 10:40 AM, malibukid said:

do not hook up with a Thai. friendly people but should keep at a distance.  you will never understand them and they you.  just strictly business.  laundry, food, hotel staff.  but do not get involved.  don't expect that the supermarket will keep you favorites items in stock. hoard is the ticket.  believe half of what a Thai will tells you and do not expect the truth. do not expect things to be done or ready when they are promised, this will only cause frustration.  do not complain, this will get you nowhere. do not ask to talk to supervisor or boss man, this will only produce a look of utter bewilderment and get you nowhere. don't expect the stop lights to function or the drivers to obey them when crossing the streets. keep your guard up and you will be just fine.  

I agree.

I found Thais pleasant until I had to interact with them in any significant capacity. They are opposite from other people I've encountered all over the world. Thais, it seems, are most likable the less you know them.

Thais are tribal people, and they generally don't like outsiders. You have to respect them for their consistency of xenophobia. 

Never expect a Thai to take a relationship or friendship with a foreigner seriously. They will always view it in a transactional capacity. As long as you are providing them value, they will tolerate you. 

Never entrust anything important to Thais, if you can avoid it. When things go wrong, you will have no recourse. 

Never forget you have your own culture and customs, many of which are far superior. 

Never rely on Thailand for your source of income. 

Never expect your form of logic to be shared by most Thais. 

Always micromanage Thais, whenever you are relying on them, and don't forget Thais also treat each other this way. 

Always keep in mind that while Thailand and China are dramatically different countries, Thais share many fundamental traits with Chinese. Thais see their highest form of culture as being Chinese culture. 

If you are forced or choose to interact with Thais, develop common tactics for handling them, such as 

1. When Thais introduce themselves or carry on conversion making bragging statements to build face, abruptly say things like

You: "I have 1 billion dollars in the bank."

Or

You: "I own much of London."

The more outrageous, and jarring the better. They will soon stop talking. Each time they try to transition to another topic to brag, abruptly ignore whatever their statement was and make your own ridiculous claim. 

When the Massage lady starts with her silly sob story to get you to part with your money, say something like

You: "39 people in my family have cancer, and i support them all. So, most of my money goes there."

Again, the more outrageous and unverifiable, the better. 

Others, I will post later. 

Best of luck to all

Edited by Fex Bluse
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/21/2019 at 12:42 PM, CGW said:

I live quite isolated (I thought) about 1 km in-between two villages, on a regular basis I hear the familiar bass from the HUGE village loud speakers - boom, boom boom, boom boom boom, can go on for hours, I just wonder what possible enjoyment they can be getting from such soulless noise! What am I missing? 

Regardless the tribes that inhabit these alien villages are intent on sharing :shock1:

Boom boom boom! ????

even at 3km I can still hear that  rubbish.