Lady of the Hills: British husband could face prosecution for crime committed abroad

webfact

Just now, bander said:

Assaulting wife who wants to go back to Thailand, lying to children that mother have left him for another guy, familiar with the location where she was found dead. Seems like they have enough to arrest him for questioning.

Also, did he try and contact his Wife in Thailand, after he came back ?

Although they werent together anymore , it would be normal to stay in contact with the mother of your children 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, webfact said:

In latest developments Tawatchai Thaikhiaw, a deputy at the Justice Ministry has suggested that Article 8 (khor khai) could be enacted to prosecute the husband if there is shown to be a case to answer. 

If there is shown to be evidence enough to prosecute.... Thailand have no evidence what-so-ever

only hear-say & supposition!

The only time a case can proceed is if the British police find incriminating evidence.

You cannot prosecute on what you might think happened!

He may be innocent, he might be as guilty as hell but you have to prove it !

3 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

Not saying it is true or not.

But the grass is always greener on the other side, to some people,

even when that have it all,   in our home countries.

A guy down the end of the road from me many years ago, come home from work

to find his lovely Thai wife had left him for another man.

This is the best bit,  she run off with the guy who owned the jewellers shop in the high street. ( the gold shop owner )  how Thai is that.  :bah:

This has happened to a friend of mine who lives in Bradford. 6 years ago his Thai wife met a younger man whom she still lives with. My friend and the Thai woman are still married and he hopes she will return. I don't think I'd wait that long before starting divorce proceedings.

It’s not impossible that his wife left him for another man. Given that they had children together it’s strange that he never tried to find her whereabouts? It’s not looking good, but it is impossible for him to have a fair trial in a country with no evidence. That can only take place in England.

23 minutes ago, bander said:

Assaulting wife who wants to go back to Thailand, lying to children that mother have left him for another guy, familiar with the location where she was found dead. Seems like they have enough to arrest him for questioning.

Sure, but no one can say for sure that his wife did not leave him for another man?

While not defending his guilt but it is up to the gov to prosecute a case that reaches a conclusion of guilt.....

thai gov really good about telling what they will do with him...let’s see how well they can build a case and prosecute him.....as long as the fool doesn’t admit it....

sure would leave the country but he might not have the financial means plus for his kids to relocate back home.... 

sonewhat perplexed why he came back....much better education and opportunity in England....my guess is for selfish reasons 

This is crazy. The guy has basically already been judged guilty, threatened with execution and been named in the press yet he's not even been arrested yet. It does sound dodgy, for sure, but do all this behind close doors in case he is innocent. Reminds me a lot of the cliff Richard case when everyone was sure he was a kiddy fiddler, turned out false.

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

If there is shown to be evidence enough to prosecute.... Thailand have no evidence what-so-ever

only hear-say & supposition!

The only time a case can proceed is if the British police find incriminating evidence.

You cannot prosecute on what you might think happened!

He may be innocent, he might be as guilty as hell but you have to prove it !

'He may be innocent, he might be as guilty as hell but you have to prove it !'

Not on TVF you don't.

4 hours ago, kamahele said:

No evidence of a crime and the death ruled accidental. While it looks curious, we should wait for actual evidence before concluding there was a murder committed.

Read the article, second paragraph 'British police in South Yorkshire who reopened the case said last year that they are treating it as a murder inquiry.' Now they wouldn't be treating it as a murder enquiry if there wasn't any evidence.

2 hours ago, Arkady said:

In any event they would not be permitted to cooperate in a capital case abroad, unless the foreign government made an assurance that the prosecutor would not seek the death sentence. 

If only that were true :saai:.  May I remind you of another case where the British police helped convict two Burmese migrant workers of the murders of two British tourists in 2014.  They were sentenced to death.

21 minutes ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

This is crazy. The guy has basically already been judged guilty, threatened with execution and been named in the press yet he's not even been arrested yet. It does sound dodgy, for sure, but do all this behind close doors in case he is innocent. Reminds me a lot of the cliff Richard case when everyone was sure he was a kiddy fiddler, turned out false.

Although the guy hasnt been found "guilty" yet and he hasnt been "threatened with execution"

14 minutes ago, Jaggg88 said:

Read the article, second paragraph 'British police in South Yorkshire who reopened the case said last year that they are treating it as a murder inquiry.' Now they wouldn't be treating it as a murder enquiry if there wasn't any evidence.

I posted an article from the Guardian newspaper on an earlier thread which quoted a spokesman from North Yorkshire police on the reasons for treating it as a murder enquiry - nobody reported her missing, and her body had been moved to the location where it was found (i.e. a deliberate act).

Keystones couldn't investigate their way out of a paper bag, let alone a crime (even if one has actually occurred) committed overseas. Stand by for all expensive paid trips by the Generals when Sgts could do the job.

3 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Keystones couldn't investigate their way out of a paper bag, let alone a crime (even if one has actually occurred) committed overseas. Stand by for all expensive paid trips by the Generals when Sgts could do the job.

So will they be using Thai ethics to follow then, Since Thai police are sooo good.

Interesting, very interesting. Do university professors beat their wife? I know Louis Armstrong did though he was just a jazz player and singer not in education business.

I met quite a few British who are in education profession, they all seem very mild and soft people. Some are soft spoken too. I still think they are wonderful people to have conversations with.

40 minutes ago, Beatriz said:

Interesting, very interesting. Do university professors beat their wife? I know Louis Armstrong did though he was just a jazz player and singer not in education business.

I met quite a few British who are in education profession, they all seem very mild and soft people. Some are soft spoken too. I still think they are wonderful people to have conversations with.

Gene Isaac Stees ... Ohio University professor ... hit his wife over the head with a crowbar and pulled a plastic bag over her head to cut off her breathing.

George Zinkhan - University of Georgia professor ... killed his wife and two others.

Eric Muenter - Harvard professor ... killed his wife with arsenic.

Tom Murray - Kansas State University professor ... murdered his estranged wife.

When and if the death of this thai woman, whose remains were discovered outside the borders of the Kingdom of Thailand, would have been caused by a criminal act, this does not, at all, fall under the jurisdiction of thai Justice, but single and all under that of the sovereign(!) country where her remains were found, and she was possibly, probably, killed! Period!

This to me is just another stinking part of 'thainess', the too well known racist, xhenophobic one, and thai Justice, when anything worth that name does exist, what can, alas, be seriously put into doubt, does not have the tip of a tiny toe to stand on to act in any, ...even thai, legal way against any foreign individual legally 'residing' (well, like the 'untermenschen' categorised under the maligned long-stay-alien denomination).

When the UK's authorities would want to pay any attention to these imbeciles, with a long pole not to make themselves dirty, they might ask for that sacro-saint, for minority-complexed Thais, reciprocity concept, ...and be, automatically, with no excuse, authorised to (re-)investigate the many, many tens of cases wherein UK nationals died in Thailand, and allowed to dig up by all means the truth behind the des-interest, lazyness, manigances, lies, and worse committed by the brown mafia, and other criminal organisations and individuals, supported by a crooked judicial system, which have over the years lead to criminal acts supposedly committed by thai nationals on thai soil!

Will never happen of course, too many 'suicides', 'accidental deaths', 'unsolved cases', or, often, fake justice. Koh Tao, anyone?

God, these ...... made me angry with this, and not even from the UK!  

What a load of rubbish!!  Currently there is no evidence that he committed this crime and most likely never will be!

I doubt he is going to put up his hands and say "I killed her".

So he will never be convicted, what a stupid news item!

Tried in the court of popular opinion. No evidence in Thailand of the "crime", it's beyond even the wildest imagination how any  Thai court could proceed with a case against this guy based on rumours. I suspect the media is saying this just to scare him to leave the country.

7 hours ago, Arkady said:

Section 9 of the English law Offences Against the Person Act provides for the prosecution in England of British citizens suspected of committing murder abroad and there have been prosecutions under this law in recent years. One that comes to mind was for the murder of a British citizen by another British citizen in Greece.  I think the main reason for this was that the witnesses were in the UK and may have expressed unwillingness to travel to Greece for the trial but were happy to testify in the UK.

In this case, I imagine that British police would want to extradite and prosecute in the UK, since they have the evidence there and there are unlikely to be witnesses in Thailand. In any event they would not be permitted to cooperate in a capital case abroad, unless the foreign government made an assurance that the prosecutor would not seek the death sentence.  In addition I don't think that Thailand's Penal Code has a provision similar to Section 9 of the Offences Against the Person Act and the situation is anyway reversed with the victim being a Thai citizen, rather than the suspect.  It is possible that the victim had become a British citizen by the time she was murdered anyway, which would utterly negate any claim of jurisdiction by Thailand.

In all this seems to be a rather frivolous suggestion. The UK will request extradition, if there is sufficient evidence, and Thailand should comply.  

I might have missed it, but how did she die ?

I don't think there is any official declarations from the Thai authorities.

Some underling from the justice ministry has been asked about the English guys'

case, and said it was possible that he "could" be prosecuted in Thailand for a

crime which occured overseas.

Naturally many posters here have misunderstood the story and got into a tizz

ranting on about xenophobia and all other sorts of nonsense.

9 hours ago, Arkady said:

Section 9 of the English law Offences Against the Person Act provides for the prosecution in England of British citizens suspected of committing murder abroad and there have been prosecutions under this law in recent years. One that comes to mind was for the murder of a British citizen by another British citizen in Greece.  I think the main reason for this was that the witnesses were in the UK and may have expressed unwillingness to travel to Greece for the trial but were happy to testify in the UK.

I have no idea if that is the true reason or not. While I know UK has a very bad reputation for civil rights, any country that can not prosecute someone under their laws at the time of a crime that then needs to make new laws to prosecute them retroactively has no moral high ground.

UK (as well as Thailand) is becoming the police state that people warned of for many years. Ultimately, the jurisdication of the crime should be the only thing that matters. Otherwise, you go down a very slippery slope where people could be charged for crimes in another country even though it was not a crime there. 

Imagine if Thailand prosecuted people who've visited Macau to gamble under the basis that gambling is illegal in thailand?

4 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

I might have missed it, but how did she die ?

The cause of death is unknown, or has not been released, but the autopsy was able to eliminate stabbing, beating or strangulation as the cause. The woman had died up to 3 weeks before the body was discovered.

Archived